PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is Tuckerman Ravine?

stephanie
06-29-2006, 15:32
I am spending a week in the white mountains in July. The first day we will go from Pinkham Notch and end up at Lake of the clouds. We want to go to Mt Washington summit. We are in somewhat good shape but not experienced climbers. How should we go about the summit. Take the ravine or the longer a.t. route. Or go directly to Lake of the Clouds and then summit. Any help would be appreciated.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2006, 15:37
I've hiked up it a few times. Nothing technical about it. Go to the summit and hang out for most of the day then on down to Lakes.

Ender
06-29-2006, 15:44
Exactly what L. Wolf said. It's just a hiking trail. It's steep, so it can get tiring, but there's nothing technical about it. Just take it slow and enjoy the view.

the goat
06-29-2006, 15:44
tuckerman is not hard at all, as long as you're in semi-good shape. towards the top, the trail is steep, but it is stepped. be sure to turn around and catch the view every so often while you're hiking, it's pretty tight.

stephanie
06-29-2006, 16:24
thanks guys that is exactly what I needed.

weary
06-29-2006, 16:27
Many, many thousands do Tuckerman's every summer. It's about the most popular and easiest route to the summit. Anyone with the physical ability to climb a mountain can do Tuckerman's Ravine.

The problem is not the nature of the trail, but the long exposure above timberline which can be dangerous in severe weather. It's always best to check the latest weather report at AMC's Pinkham Notch facility.

Weary

hawkeye
06-29-2006, 16:29
Make sure you check the weather at Pinkhan. Can get pretty nasty.

Peaks
06-29-2006, 17:19
As posted, probably the most popular route to the summit. Book time for the 4.2 mile hike is 4 1/4 hours (4250 feet of climb).

Nokia
06-29-2006, 22:25
Did that route last year. First time up in the summer (been skiing there in spring). A great trail. Little water falls from the springs and all kinds of great wild flowers. Highly recommend it.

betic4lyf
06-30-2006, 17:55
its not hard at all. i did some trail maintenance stuff there, and there are tons of people, often just tourists, going from pinkham. not a incredibly challenging hike. one thing that needs to be done, is to weave the alpine gardens trail, as it is one of the most beutiful trails in the area, and things shoule be blooming, so yeahy

Shutterbug
06-30-2006, 22:55
I am spending a week in the white mountains in July. The first day we will go from Pinkham Notch and end up at Lake of the clouds. We want to go to Mt Washington summit. We are in somewhat good shape but not experienced climbers. How should we go about the summit. Take the ravine or the longer a.t. route. Or go directly to Lake of the Clouds and then summit. Any help would be appreciated. My wife and I climbed it a couple of years ago. The only problem is that we didn't allow enough time. We climbed it after labor day, so the days were already getting short. At the top, we were too late for the last shuttle down, so we had to hike back down. We did the last mile or so in total darkness. Believe me, it does get dark!!! (Yes, we did have flashlights.)

Rambler
07-03-2006, 17:11
The first 2.1 miles of the T. Ravine trail to Hermite Lake has only a moderate pitch. It is basically a jeep road, an easy grade for snow cats to climb in winter. It is only the last section of the rest of the 1.3 that is quite steep. The great views of the ravine are worth the hike. When standing in the steep part, hold your arm straight out at shoulder height toward your side facing the wall, ie. your right arm. In winter your outheld hand would be touching snow. The slope would be about 45 degrees. From the top of Tucks, the .8 over to the Lakes Hut is a wonderful alpine meadow, ie. almost level. Accomodations at Pinkham are very nice. As for the summit, let the weather help your decision. At the top of Tuckerman's if the weather is nice, go for the summit of Washington. The next day it could be in the clouds. This morning at 7AM, July 3, the summit temp was 41 degrees with winds 50 mph with gust to 60. But, hey it is July, temps should rise rapidly during the day.
From Pinkham the AT goes away from Washington, up over Madison. From Lakes of the Clouds or from Washington's summit consider the Boot Spur trail as a way down. You will get some great views into Tuckerman's and the Davis Path is an open ridge all the way to the Jct. For a little less steep trail down, keep going on the Davis Path over to the Glen boulder Trail. You will have more open ridge and good views into Gulf of the Slides. From the parking lot of Pinckham ask for someone to point out the view of Glen Bloulder itself. The trail goes right next to this unique hanging rock. Close enough so you wil be touching it! Many great options of hiking trails out of Pinkham.

Rambler
07-03-2006, 17:24
While you are in the area, another great trail and the shortest route to the ridge of the Presidentials is the Ridge of the Caps Trail up Mt. Jefferson (5712'). You can drive into Jefferson Notch which climbs up, leaving you in a parking area 2.5 miles from the summit. The "Caps" are five bumps you have to climb over, so the trail is not just an easy path, but a unique one, open, with more great views. This trail might be ranked #1 in the least-amount-of-effort-for-the-greatest-view category. The Caps make it a well worth it, fun hike.

DGrav
07-03-2006, 23:14
I'm going up in August. Our plan is to either go up the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail or down the Jewell or vica versa.

Not sure how this compares to Tuckerman but you may get to see the snow watch.

Two books I recommend that will get you a sense of the area are:

"Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire "and

"Joe Dodge, One New Hampshire Institution"

knicksin2010
07-04-2006, 07:14
It takes 3 hours to climb if you're in somewhat decent shape, and carrying everything you should climbing in a place the boosts the worst weather in the world. Be sure and get the weather forecast, and if you want to beat the crowds get an early start.

Don't under estimate the weather, the mountain will always be there tomorrow.