PDA

View Full Version : windbreakers

MadAussieInLondon
03-15-2003, 19:22
i have a brasslite solo, and i need to make a windbreaker for it..

i have a neat over-engineered pot-cozy (http://www.mega-tokyo.com/gallery/potcozy)
but i need to make a wind-go-arounder..

whats the exact science of these things like?

- how high do i make it, from the ground to howfar above the lip of the stove

- half way up the side of teh pot? (i have a msr titan kettle)

- whats the odds on X number of holes/cutouts in the base?

etc..

and.. what do you make it out of... I saw one on Sgt's site but it looks really flimsy..

material is the other thing.. supermarkets around here in london dont seem to know what 'over liners' are.. and keep pointing me to aluminium foil.. :(

the other downside is i dont have any tools beyond a an old fashioned can opener and stanley knife...

i thought about using a coffee can? but i need to find one that isnt too wide...

i'm at a loss...

jlb2012
03-15-2003, 19:52
What I use for the windscreen is aluminum flashing - this is a building trades type of stuff used to go on roofs for edging and as for a design I usually use StoveStomper's design - see StoveStomper's windscreen/potsupport (http://www.datasync.com/~wksmith/newdesign.html) I use a variety of alcohol stoves with this windscreen/potsupport. As to the question of how high above the burner - this is somewhat dependent on the type of burner but as a general rule about 2 to 3 cm is a reasonable first guess. A more critical item is the distance from the pot to the windscreen - at least 6 or 7 mm is needed for good air flow. The distance up the side of the pot is almost a don't care - I size mine so that it will fit into the pot.

You mention the Brasslite solo - I think that comes with a pot support so you may not need the somewhat more complicated pot support that is part of the windscreen from StoveStomper - if so just cut a screen from the flashing with ordinary sissors- punch some holes in the bottom with a paper punch and fold a clip edge to hold the screen at the right diameter for your pot.

Scamp
03-15-2003, 20:48
I'm thinking of using a Foster's beer can!

Scamp

rumbler
03-16-2003, 11:44
From brasslite.com:

Constructing the Reflector and Windscreen

Important Note: Shipped stoves do not include a windscreen. This simple but time-consuming step has been omitted in order to keep stove labor costs down. Also, pots come in different sizes and accurate cutting according to your pot size saves more weight than a "fits all" windscreen. The instructions are easy to follow.

Materials: 12" wide heavy duty aluminum foil (purchase from any grocery store), paper clips (optional). Alternatively, aluminum oven liner can be used, which is thicker and more durable. If you use oven liner, use a single layer cut to the dimensions listed below (instead of folding it over itself to make it thicker, like you would do with the aluminum foil).

Tools needed: Yardstick or tape measure, permanent black marker (a sharpie works well for this), scissors, standard office paper hole punch.

To make reflector:
1. Tear off a piece of foil that is about 24 inches long. With dull side up, fold foil in half widthwise to make a double-thick piece that is 12 inches x 12 inches. Smooth flat.
2. Place your pot on the center of the foil, open side down.
3. Trace around the pot with a permanent black marker.
4. Cut out a circle of foil that is 1" larger than where the line is.
5. Fold edge of circle over ¼" to reinforce it. Repeat this step so reinforcement is folded to the line.
6. The stove will rest on the center of this reflector during cooking to reflect heat back towards the pot.

To make windscreen:

1. Measure the pot you intend to use by wrapping a tape measure around the widest point, or alternatively, wrap a piece of string around the pot and measure the length of it. Add 3 inches to the measurement. Unroll this amount of foil from the container, plus a little extra (It's best to tear off a little extra rather than trying to tear off the exact amount. It's easier to trim after folding).
2. With dull side facing up, fold the foil lengthwise in half, then half again, to obtain a strip that is 3" high, and "X" number of inches long. Smooth foil flat.
3. Fold loose side over ¼ " to reinforce it.
4. Fold one end over ¼ inch to reinforce it. With fold towards the top, wrap foil around pot under the handle and check to see that there is 2 inch overlap of the ends. Trim foil as needed with scissors to get the correct overlap.
5. Fold other end over ¼ inch to reinforce it.
6. Using the paper punch, and starting 1inch from the end, cut holes at 1inch intervals ½ inch above the bottom of the windscreen to within 1inch of the other end. This allows proper airflow during cooking.

The windscreen may be wrapped around the pot just after lighting, or alternatively held together with a paper clip and lowered around the stove from above after the stove is lit, before placing the pot on the stove. It's important to make sure that the windscreen is not wrapped too closely to the stove. A gap of 0.5 inches (1.25 cm) is critical for proper airflow and proper stove operation. Wrapping the windscreen too tightly may dramatically reduce burn time due to greater pressure created by the elevated heat around the stove chamber. It's also recommended that the windscreen be wrapped around your plastic fuel bottle to store it. Hold it in place on the bottle with a rubber band.