PDA

View Full Version : Emergency SuperCat Stove

zelph
06-29-2006, 18:10
[:banana]

Wonderfoot was the inspiration for this stove.:)

This is an "Emergency Use Only" stove.

I modified my Super Cat by removing the fiberglass wick and substituting "Super" tampons.

Actually!!! I think I'll test it this 4th of july weekend. See how fast it is, maybe it's a contest winner. Maybe use some liquid 50% hydrogen Peroxide for fuel, oops, giving too many ideas here:sun

zelph
06-30-2006, 22:50
Let me tell you a little thing I read about. Oil lamps that use kerosene/liquid parafin have wicks that bring the fuel up to the burner. They say never let the lamp run dry/out of fuel. They say it will cause the wick to be consumed at a much faster rate.

I made tests to see if that was true, using cotton yarn of a large diameter instead of fiberglass as wick in one of my stoves it proved to be true.

If I snuffed out the flame well before the fuel was completely used up the cotton wick didn't burn. When I let it burn out completely by itself the cotton started to be consumed in a smoldering way.

Interest stuff.

These tampons should make good wicks.

Just a note: 20 mule team borax can be used to make cotton yarn flame resistant and burn with a greenish blue color.:)

zelph
07-02-2006, 14:36
Can no longer see the stove!!!!

Have to re-name it

Any ideas?

zelph
07-05-2006, 21:52
Tests went great!!!!

1st photo shows how 2 ounces of denatured alcohol made it puff up into one huge cotton ball

2nd photo shows flame pattern surrounding pot containing 8 cups of water

Snuffed it out before fuel was consumed, cotton was only slightly singed

Boiled in 11 min.

Wick stoves are fun!!!!!!!:banana