PDA

View Full Version : Cheap bag or quilt for summer?

dla
06-30-2006, 11:20
I'm trying to decide between a fanatic fringe quilt or a Mountain hardware 40*f bag (down or 3d). I would end up using the bag as a quilt anyway because of my girth. Price-wise a 30*f quilt will cost ~$160, whereas a 3d 45*F bag can be had for ~$60. The down 40*f bag is $120. This is for summer use only as I have a 0*F bag already. What do you folks think?

LIhikers
07-03-2006, 15:41
For summer I use a fleece blanket. If my memory serves me correctly it weighs 1.2 pounds and I paid about $15 for it.

Spock
07-03-2006, 18:07
Depends on the temperature range in the part of the world you will hike in. For temps above 45F, a simple quilt with one layer of 3D will keep you just fine and will weigh no more than 16-18 ounces. MYOG will cost $20 for the 3D and $4 for lightweight Walmart material. If you use Walmart's continuos filiament insulation, the weight and bulk will go up a little and the price will crash. It takes maybe 6-8 hours to make a poly quilt.

peter_pan
07-03-2006, 18:45
Summer down quilt 40-45 under $150.... can also be used inside or over winter bag for more range...under 15 oz packs smaller...http://216.83.168.206/index_files/SUB.htm

great sale.

Pan

DGrav
07-03-2006, 23:05
I have the Mountain Hardware Phantom 45. Great bag, packs small, light weight, keeps me warm. It tends to sell for around $215.

That said if I had it to do over again I would go for the JRB Summer quilt for $150. In fact I am trying to find a way to justify buying the JRB despite having the Phantom 45.

vaporjourney
07-04-2006, 00:31
how long will this shenandoah be on sale? I had come close to writing off getting a down quilt because I didnt think you had any under 200. this may cut it though, if i can get the money in time.

also...would this quilt be warm enough to use on the AT when hiking northbound in the warm months with a tarptent?

Just Jeff
07-04-2006, 02:22
That said if I had it to do over again I would go for the JRB Summer quilt for $150. In fact I am trying to find a way to justify buying the JRB despite having the Phantom 45.

Here's a way - use the Phantom with the JRB on top in the winter. That way, your moisture will evaporate through the bag and into the JRB before it gets cold enough to condense. Then, your Phantom will stay pretty dry and the quilt will be much easier to dry by itself b/c it's so much thinner than a winter bag. Small weight penalty for two extra layers of nylon over a winter bag, though.

peter_pan
07-04-2006, 08:44
how long will this shenandoah be on sale? I had come close to writing off getting a down quilt because I didnt think you had any under 200. this may cut it though, if i can get the money in time.

also...would this quilt be warm enough to use on the AT when hiking northbound in the warm months with a tarptent?

Summer Blow Out Sale will go to End of July... Also, regular price is well below $200.

If you define "warmer" as higher than 40-45...and with an adequate pad, well feed , etc ( each hiker will vary ), yes.

Pan

peter_pan
07-04-2006, 08:54
Here's a way - use the Phantom with the JRB on top in the winter. That way, your moisture will evaporate through the bag and into the JRB before it gets cold enough to condense. Then, your Phantom will stay pretty dry and the quilt will be much easier to dry by itself b/c it's so much thinner than a winter bag. Small weight penalty for two extra layers of nylon over a winter bag, though.

Jeff,

This is an interesting therory....Assuming the days are warm enough and lunch breaks are long enough, drying a thinner bag/Quilt is definately easier than drying a thicker winter bag.

If, however the trip is extended and the weather is not expected to be warm enough for field drying, it may be wiser to put a down quilt inside the synthetic bag, assuming adequate room for loft....Under this approach any vaporized body moisture will end up in the synthetic bag which should handle moisture better..... These conditions may be best served by use of a vapor barrier so neither bag nor quilt pick up ambient moisture and the comfort range will be maintained over the length of the outing.

Pan

Just Jeff
07-04-2006, 16:38
True - but he already has a Phantom, which is down, and he's trying to justify buying a down quilt rather than a synthetic bag. I think for AT trips it could make sense to have a Phantom with a top quilt - easily adjusted to most conditions on the AT...guess I shouldn't have said "winter" though.

DGrav
07-05-2006, 11:58
Jeff,
I really like that justification! To date my cold weather bag has been a Mountain Hardware 1st Dimension. 30 degree synthetic bag that is way too heavy. For really cold weather I double it up with the Phantom.

So your suggestion gets me a quilt for the summer and a lighter winter rig.

All I need to do is decide between the Shenandoah or the No Sniveler and save enough money to buy two quilts. (Justifying gear purchases to my wife is easy, buy her one also!)

-Don

peter_pan
07-05-2006, 16:46
Jeff,
I really like that justification! To date my cold weather bag has been a Mountain Hardware 1st Dimension. 30 degree synthetic bag that is way too heavy. For really cold weather I double it up with the Phantom.

So your suggestion gets me a quilt for the summer and a lighter winter rig.

All I need to do is decide between the Shenandoah or the No Sniveler and save enough money to buy two quilts. (Justifying gear purchases to my wife is easy, buy her one also!)

-Don

Don,

Don't screw this up...remember that women generally sleep colder than men...

My $0.02... :D

Pan

DGrav
07-05-2006, 22:12
:-? hmmmm the do sleep colder....... Add to this the fact she does not camp when it's really cold...................

So I could get one No Sniveler and one Shenandoah.

She gets a bit more warmth, while I shed a few ounces from the pack in the summer. In the winter with all of our quilts I will be nice and warm!

peter_pan
07-05-2006, 22:54
:-? hmmmm the do sleep colder....... Add to this the fact she does not camp when it's really cold...................

So I could get one No Sniveler and one Shenandoah.

She gets a bit more warmth, while I shed a few ounces from the pack in the summer. In the winter with all of our quilts I will be nice and warm!

Once again brilliance ....a truly versitile and fully justifiable conclusion... remember to point out how considerate you are of her needs....;)

Pan