PDA

View Full Version : Preva Portable Espresso Maker

headchange4u
06-30-2006, 13:49
Being a avid coffe lover, I saw this review of the Preva xSport (https://www.prevacafe.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=18bde3183e160d2259b0e9fe69e5c4ff) portable espresso maker and thought I would pass it along. You can see the review here (http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/006323.php) (If you look clase, you can see the Jetboil cooking system the guy is using).

It looks kinda big and is kinda expensive, but it would be nice to have some espresso first thing in the morning!:):sun Probably not that great for long distance hiking but would be great for short hauls.

opqdan
07-25-2006, 13:59
I just saw an ad for this in an REI catalog the other day. The idea is awesome as it may be able to get enough pressure to create a 'true' espresso (like 15 bars or more). I find 2 problems with is:

1) it weighs in at 1lb, but more that that it looks bulky. While this may not be a huge problem on a short trip, I probably wouldn't take it on a longer trip unless it could break down and take up little room.

2) it uses pods to make the coffee. I hate being stuck with using a certain product, and if I cannot use normal ground coffee (fine grind for espresso), than the product is useless to me. I wonder how many stores out there along the AT carry the pods that this thing needs?

The 2nd problem would keep me from using this on even a short trip.

spincast01
07-26-2006, 13:43
opqdan -

Absolutely, you can use your own grounds with the Preva xSport! We have a "tips and tricks" topic in our forums with instructions, its really pretty easy.

Though the xSport weighs only 1-lb, it is a little bulky, granted. However, it is very durable and will be just fine in a mesh bag attached to your pack with a carabiner.

If anyone has any questions about it, let me know!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-26-2006, 14:17
Brian (spincast01), does your firm make any sort device that would have supports with a reusable filter for making regular coffee (sort of like a strainer that would fit into the pot and hold the grounds in the boiling water)? I'm about to the point of buying a three year filter and making my own support with a strainer for foods on one edge (can't have a single use item in my pack :D)

AdamantiumKid
07-26-2006, 14:25
You can get espresso pods (ground for this purpose) at Starbucks.

spincast01
07-26-2006, 19:59
Brian (spincast01), does your firm make any sort device that would have supports with a reusable filter for making regular coffee (sort of like a strainer that would fit into the pot and hold the grounds in the boiling water)? I'm about to the point of buying a three year filter and making my own support with a strainer for foods on one edge (can't have a single use item in my pack :D)

F-Dino -

We don't have anything quite like that, other than pods. However, we plan to offer a coffee pod maker (make your own senseo-type pods, one at a time, with your own grounds, add creamer, etc) that will list for about $25. So, you could run a batch of pods for your trips with your own blends. Our own espresso pods are far better than anything you can find at Char- er, $tarbux.:D

Brian

opqdan
07-27-2006, 10:47
opqdan -

Absolutely, you can use your own grounds with the Preva xSport! We have a "tips and tricks" topic in our forums with instructions, its really pretty easy.

Though the xSport weighs only 1-lb, it is a little bulky, granted. However, it is very durable and will be just fine in a mesh bag attached to your pack with a carabiner.

If anyone has any questions about it, let me know!It is good to see that it is possible to use my own coffee, as I wouldn't want to carry pods with me. If I can use my own coffee, it may be worth it just to pick one up to put in my office at work, and if I decide to in the future, I'll take it camping.

I suppose that I could deal with the bulk on a short trip, but probably not on a thru-hike. Maybe a new backpackers version could be made? I imagine that the pump handle could be placed above the resevoir and the stand removed. That way it would take up far less space.