PDA

View Full Version : Is this what the AT is turning into?

SGT Rock
07-01-2006, 06:51
Flashpacking clicks with great outdoors

<!-- date --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> <!-- if ( location.hostname.toLowerCase().indexOf( "edition." ) != -1 ) { document.write('Friday, June 30, 2006 Posted: 1420 GMT (2220 HKT)'); }else { document.write('Friday, June 30, 2006; Posted: 10:20 a.m. EDT (14:20 GMT)'); } //--> </SCRIPT>Friday, June 30, 2006; Posted: 10:20 a.m. EDT (14:20 GMT) <!-- /date -->

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>var clickExpire = "07/30/2006";</SCRIPT><!--startclickprintexclude-->NEW YORK (AP) -- There's a new type of backpacker roaming the globe -- the flashpacker.

And no, it has nothing to do with how fast you pack your bag. Nor is it a streaker or a weird dude in a raincoat.
"Flashpacking is just backpacking, with an awful lot of tech gear going along for the ride," said Lee Gimpel, 29, a writer from Virginia who "flashpacked" around India for a few months and recorded his adventures at http://www.passingthroughindia.com/ (http://www.passingthroughindia.com/)http://i.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.3/misc/icon.offsite.gif.
"I sometimes felt that half of what I was carrying was tech stuff: digital camera and memory cards, USB memory drive, a laptop, cell phone, three battery chargers, a dozen rechargeable batteries, a power adaptor, blank CD-RWs and a handful of cables and cords," he said.
A survey completed earlier this year by 2,561 visitors to the Hostelworld.com Web site found that 21 percent of them travel with a laptop, 54 percent with an MP3 player, 83 percent with a mobile phone and 86 percent with a digital camera.
Cas Carter, manager of Tourism New Zealand, says the term "flashpacking" has been in use in New Zealand for three years, and that it refers both to backpackers carrying high-tech gear, and to the upscaling of hostels to accommodate them.
"We've just put in a brand new Internet cafe, we got Sky (satellite TV), we've got chip readers for photo cameras, we've got video cameras so you can watch a person on the other side of the world -- these guys know how it all works and we've got to provide it," said Auckland Central Backpackers' manager Campbell Shepherd.
Many hostels around the world also now offer both dorm-style and private rooms -- including Hostelling International in New York City at 103rd Street and Amsterdam Avenue.
In addition, the Manhattan hostel offers Internet access and more than eight electric outlets in most rooms to accommodate everybody's gadgets -- yet rates begin at just $29 (€23) a night for a bed, according to Louis Cutri, assistant general manager.
"Just because you can afford a cell phone and a laptop doesn't mean you can afford a $350(€280)-a-night room in Manhattan," he said.
Colm Hanratty, Dublin-based editor of Hostelworld.com, said the phrase "flashpacking" remains a novelty in the United Kingdom but the phenomenon is widespread. He noted that flashpackers seem to come in two distinct age groups -- "the young type, still in college, who might have all the gadgets but not that much money, and someone in later life, late 20s and early 30s, who has more money to spend and carries an iPod and a digital camera."

Associated Press (2006). "Flashpacking clicks with great outdoors". CNN.com. Retrieved 1 July 2006 from http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/06/30/trv.us.flashpacking.ap/index.html

krazyvan
07-01-2006, 07:36
Yeah..blueblazin', slackpacking, and now fastpacking! What ever happened to actually hiking a trail and passing EVERY blaze? :mad:

fiddlehead
07-01-2006, 08:13
I see nothing wrong with staying in touch with whatever you want.
As long as you don't mind carrying the gear to do it.
Personally i can work from anywhere with an internet connection. It won't be long before that will be available on the AT as well.
should i be blamed if i can do my job and hike the AT at the same time?

Big Dawg
07-01-2006, 08:23
I wonder how many AT hikers are sporting a laptop,,, I doubt many, if any.

Big Dawg
07-01-2006, 08:25
should i be blamed if i can do my job and hike the AT at the same time?

Heck no. HYOH

SGT Rock
07-01-2006, 08:37
FWIW I don't see anything wrong if someone wants to tote all that crap up the trail, it is their own business as long as they don't expect the shelters to start wiring up to serve them.

I thought this was sort of funny that these people are even considered backpackers in the normal sense. This is more like the person that does a backpacking tour of Europe on trains and staying in hostels.

As to Krazyvan's comments, I don't see what blue blazing or slack packing has to do with that article. This is about what a person carries and where they stay in town, doesn't talk about skipping sections.

Nightwalker
07-01-2006, 08:46
It's all good if it doesn't tear up the trail. :cool:

fiddlehead
07-01-2006, 08:51
Internationally, backpacking means folks who travel around the world with a backpack to hold whatever they wish to carry.
Austrailia, Asia, Europe, South America all have hostels that are called backpacker lodges or the like. They used to be youth hostels but rarely are anymore.
These are Mostly younger people who are on extended trips 1-3 years of travelling often after graduating from high school or college. Although i am now 55 years old and still carrying my stuff around in my Go-lite 'Breeze" when i travel. (My laptop fills up about half of it)
In America, a backpacker tends to mean someone who camps out at night and carries everything they need on their back. This is not what the word means in most of the world.
Living in Thailand (one of the most popular "Backpacking" destinations in the world, I'd say about half of the travellers here would consider themselves "backpackers", yet most have probably never slept in a tent.
Most of the ones on longer trips often carry a huge 9,000 cu/in + on their back and a smaller, daypack on the front with their valuables in.
Since my long distance backpacking days, i often wonder what it is they need so badly to have such huge packs. But now that i have an 8 month old baby boy, my Go-lite doesn't handle it all anymore either. (i now carry a suitcase also)
The AT makes one simplify their material world but the longer you are away from it, the more you (i anyway) tend to carry.

gsingjane
07-01-2006, 08:53
My impression, working with teens, is that they are much more interested in staying connected to the outside world when they're in the woods, whether that is via cell phone, sat phone, or a super-duper internet connection. I don't personally care for any of this stuff (it's what I go into the woods to escape, as I gather most of us do!) but OTOH if they want to carry it, and it makes them feel better, I say let them do it. I'd rather see them in the woods with a cell phone than in the mall any day!

Jane in CT

nhalbrook
07-01-2006, 09:50
Probably. Just another variant on HYOH really no different in its way than a supported sub-whatever trail sprint. Probably will not bother many until one cannot get away from cell phones ringing and computers beeping at all hours on the trail or worse yet in shelters. By then most of us will be hiking the big one and it will be these flash folks that will have to deal with what they started. Can see the AT becoming like Matterhorn or Everest tho with those wanting wilderness having to seek refuge on the western trails.

Just Jeff
07-01-2006, 12:54
Yep. Somebody said something to me once about using my laptop in a park...don't you come here to get away from that stuff? Well yeah. But other times I have work to do - and I can either do my work locked away at home, or I can do my work outside at the beach or whatever. Might as well go somewhere fun to do my work! I don't think I'd pack it on a hike, though.

emerald
07-01-2006, 14:15
I have no problem whatsoever with people carrying all that stuff so long as it doesn't infringe upon the experiences of those who choose not to carry it.

Furthermore, I don't see that it needs to be a friction point or that there is anything there to argue about really. Maybe there are points to discuss relative to how people in both camps can peacefully coexist.

MOWGLI
07-01-2006, 14:24
I was at a Yankee baseball game in DC a few weeks ago and some dude two rows in front of me was online looking at eBay the entire time. I mean, why go to the ball game?

bfitz
07-01-2006, 14:47
I'm a flashpacker! I can't wait till my computer is implanted in my earlobe along with my telecom devices...

emerald
07-01-2006, 15:29
Bfitz: I'm a flashpacker! I can't wait till my computer is implanted in my earlobe along with my telecom devices...

That would be wonderful. Then people who complain about cell phones ringing will have nothing about which to complain.

I wonder how much longer it will be until those devices are capable of capturing people's thoughts and transporting them to the desired recipient without the sender having to speak them out loud? Then those of us who have no interest in someone's hemeroids will not need to be a party to the conversation.:rolleyes:

Rain Man
07-01-2006, 15:32
Furthermore, I don't see that it needs to be a friction point or that there is anything there to argue about really.

Depends on how many used batteries you find left in fire pits, shelters, and along the trail, I'm guessing? Not to mention how and when the devices are used around other hikers.

Just yesterday I was in line at the post office. Guy in front of me had his cell phone ringer on as loud as it would go. I thought at first it was a regular land-line phone ringing. He proceeded to take TWO calls and carry on loud conversations, including one while the clerk was trying to wait on him.

No, there doesn't need to be a friction point. Unless jerks are using the techie products. Then there is a friction point, or million.

Rain:sunMan

bfitz
07-01-2006, 15:36
You'll be able to subvocalize and the reciever will be sensitive enough to bick it up. The neural interface will be able to "type" based on your mental commands like the guy who moves the cursor on the video screen with his brain...(I saw it on discovery channel, he was disabled...). There will be a projector in your retina so a holographic display appears visible only to you. It's almost here!

bfitz
07-01-2006, 15:37
Jerks like that cause friction no matter what they carry.

dreamhiker
07-01-2006, 16:13
I'm a flashpacker! I can't wait till my computer is implanted in my earlobe along with my telecom devices...

I would draw the line at things being implanted in any part of my body. Next would be GPS chips implanted at birth not to worry as long as your not doing anything wrong you shouldn't mind right:confused:
DreaHiker

Just Jeff
07-01-2006, 16:16
I was at a Yankee baseball game in DC a few weeks ago and some dude two rows in front of me was online looking at eBay the entire time. I mean, why go to the ball game?

Yeah. But the more important question is, "Why go to a Yankees game?"

bfitz
07-01-2006, 16:26
I would draw the line at things being implanted in any part of my body. Next would be GPS chips implanted at birth not to worry as long as your not doing anything wrong you shouldn't mind right:confused:
DreaHikerSo long as I can activate and deactivate the device it would be a convenience. Especially if I lost my children, who, so long as they are doing nothing wrong when I find them have nothing to fear....

dreamhiker
07-01-2006, 16:29
So long as I can activate and deactivate the device it would be a convenience. Especially if I lost my children, who, so long as they are doing nothing wrong when I find them have nothing to fear....

Saftey at any cost????:confused: :eek: :confused: sounds like the Prez
DreamHiker

bfitz
07-01-2006, 17:15
Saftey at any cost????:confused: :eek: :confused: sounds like the Prez
DreamHikerNo, I'm counting on it being relatively inexpensive...but thanks for the compliment. ;)
And safety is an illusion at best anyway, but convenience is tangible....
Everything has an off button.... I don't want to subjugate anyone. I just want to communicate at will without inconveniencing myself or annoying others or having the battery die on me...nothing to worry about my friend.

Blue Jay
07-01-2006, 19:57
You'll be able to subvocalize and the reciever will be sensitive enough to bick it up. The neural interface will be able to "type" based on your mental commands like the guy who moves the cursor on the video screen with his brain...(I saw it on discovery channel, he was disabled...). There will be a projector in your retina so a holographic display appears visible only to you. It's almost here!

So is the Easter Bunny. I do believe you subvocalize (mutter) to yourself all the time. I also believe there are weirdos blinding some poor animals for money so things like you can play video games in your head. There is a huge difference between what is being done for the disabled and you who want to screw around with your retinas for fun.

bfitz
07-01-2006, 20:38
C'mon Bluejay, it'll be NEAT!

MOWGLI
07-01-2006, 20:43
Yeah. But the more important question is, "Why go to a Yankees game?"

You're right. I'd much rather go to an Anaheim Angels game with my rally monkey. :rolleyes:

hikerjohnd
07-01-2006, 21:08
DreaHiker

We have made it socially acceptable to use implanted chips on our pets. Companies are developing the some technology for cell phones and beepers. Safety groups are touting the advantages for locating lost children. My father is an Alzheimer's patient and one meeting I attended focused on RF tags for locating patients who wander. The discussion quickly turned to what if he isn't wearing the tagged item when he wanders off?? Will the technology advance to the point that it can be implanted?

I have no firm reasoning for my personal belief that it is wrong to begin to implant tracking devices into our bodies. I have no problem with tracking devices, like a beeper, for children or the elderly as long as it is an external item.

But - back to the topic at hand... Sgt Rock - good article I enjoyed reading it and definitely consider myself a flashpacker. Technology has served to enhance my personal and professional life, why not the way in which I recreate? Someone mentioned wiring the shelters and such - definitely not - the technology exists to wirelessly serve people who want this. As to electricity, solar could provide enough juice to keep me running - I am currently exploring opportunities to use solar in my home.

As to what is a backpacker - I see the term in similar context to football. In the US we know what football is - the pigskin and 22 guys trying to kill eachother in the quest to move the ball across a line. To the rest of the world football is soccer. In the US we see backpacking as roughing it in the woods. The rest of the worls sees it differently (as pointed out by someone along the thread here...)

So long as my gadgets do not impede your enjoyment of the outdoors, then there should be no issues. It is inconsiderate people who unplug the earphones and dump used batteries in firepits that give us flashpackers a bad name.

well that's my two cents...

bfitz
07-02-2006, 01:34
How about a pacemaker?

Ridge
07-02-2006, 14:28
The big problem I see is the BATTERIES it takes to run all this junk. I will never fool with NiCad Rechargeable batteries again. I'm looking for some Lithium rechargeable AA's, anyone know where I can find them. And, maybe a solar charger for the Lithiums. I'm even looking into converting cell batteries for some electronics, like my 5 led headlamp, etc.

SGT Rock
07-02-2006, 14:33
As far as I know they don't make LiIon AA batteries yet. A few months ago I did a lot of looking for that. There is a type of battery pack that some cameras use that replaces two AA batteries that I think now comes in LiIon.

I recently got a camera that uses a USB cable to re-charge and uses a LiIon battery. The thing lasts a long time one one battery pack - uses a model made for cell phones, so I got a couple extra.

blindeye
07-02-2006, 21:15
what's next getting a memory implanted of hiking the A.T. like the movie total recall starring the governator!

Nean
07-02-2006, 21:28
what's next getting a memory implanted of hiking the A.T. like the movie total recall starring the governator!

At least I won't have to fret over catching up in my journal....;)

Just Jeff
07-02-2006, 22:02
Or like that Robin Williams movie - The Final Cut.

ed bell
07-02-2006, 22:49
So long as I can activate and deactivate the device it would be a convenience. Especially if I lost my children, who, so long as they are doing nothing wrong when I find them have nothing to fear....So long as the government can activate and deactivate the device it would be for the common good. Especially if a citizen gets lost, who, so long as they are doing nothing wrong when the authorities find them have nothing to fear...;) Not that I am for lost children.:sun

bfitz
07-03-2006, 01:50
Yeah, people will have a new reason for the AMRH's...

No government activation of implanted cybernetics!!! Write your congress person now!!

Just Jeff
07-03-2006, 03:06
That might get you on a list...

dreamhiker
07-03-2006, 08:17
So long as the government can activate and deactivate the device it would be for the common good. Especially if a citizen gets lost, who, so long as they are doing nothing wrong when the authorities find them have nothing to fear...;) Not that I am for lost children.:sun

I hope your joking. What is for the common good is to keep the constitution in tact. All the fear based changes to it are not IN THE COMMON GOOD. if you are willing to do anything for safety there should be a house to house search in the middle of the night to find all the bad guys. O waite this has been done in some other places lets think oooo Germany, Russia it didn't work out so great for them. So I will not be on the list for the device when it comes. Are there alot of you out there that think safety at any cost I hope not.
DreamHiker

ed bell
07-03-2006, 09:51
I hope your joking.
DreamHiker That's what the;) was for.:sun

Ridge
07-04-2006, 02:28
AT mentioned in this Laptop article.

http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=1087

bfitz
07-12-2006, 23:58
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13830825/?GT1=8307

blackbishop351
07-13-2006, 00:14
There is a type of battery pack that some cameras use that replaces two AA batteries that I think now comes in LiIon.

My camera has one of those packs. Looks like two AA batteries stuck together, but it's Lithium. Just FYI.

Gear Coach
07-13-2006, 00:21
Bfitz: I'm a flashpacker! I can't wait till my computer is implanted in my earlobe along with my telecom devices...

That would be wonderful. Then people who complain about cell phones ringing will have nothing about which to complain.

I wonder how much longer it will be until those devices are capable of capturing people's thoughts and transporting them to the desired recipient without the sender having to speak them out loud? Then those of us who have no interest in someone's hemeroids will not need to be a party to the conversation.:rolleyes:

It's the wave of the near future. Teenagers will be the first to clamour for multifunction communications chips to be implanted below their skin, so they can all instantly communicate with each other and the internet. Give it 15 to 20 years. No I'm not joking.

bfitz
07-13-2006, 00:31
15 or 20 years! I hope I get mine sooner than that!!

blackbishop351
07-13-2006, 00:32
It's the wave of the near future. Teenagers will be the first to clamour for multifunction communications chips to be implanted below their skin, so they can all instantly communicate with each other and the internet. Give it 15 to 20 years. No I'm not joking.

It SHOULD have already happened. Y'know those Exxon Speedpasses? The technology has been available and affordable for over 10 years now to use the same type of chip as a subdermal implant. You'd never lose your debit card! No identity theft, unless somebody cut off your hand...which would lead to larger issues I think. But the "Big Brother" scare is so prevalent that society has resisted. Me, I'd be one of the first to sign up!

ed bell
07-13-2006, 00:53
With all the advancements in technology in regards to portable electronic devices and all that fall in that category, it's hard to imagine what could be thrown in the ol' backpack in as little as 10 years. I remember when the "Walkman" was amazing in it's ability to let you jam on your tapes while walking around. Damn, I just had one of my first "old geezer" moments and I'm not even 40 years old.

blackbishop351
07-13-2006, 00:55
Ed - I'm only 27, but I'm in college full time. I can't even look at the kids on campus without feeling old. Especially when they've all got MP3 players, Bluetooth phones, and Sirius car radios. I'm right there with ya!

Ridge
07-13-2006, 02:04
I use to wish for better navigation, thats now here, and it got even better with the Cessation of GPS Selective Availability on May 1, 2000. Some of the best things to happen to the hiking/outdoor community other than GPS, LED lighting, water purification devices, titanium, and a host of new and improved gear.

Batteries, not much improvement since the intro of alkaline but I still buy them on sale at Ingles for 25c each. This makes Lithium cost too much, even if they do last twice as long. I'm still looking for the rechargeable lithiums in AA, I think this will do to batteries what LED did to Halogen and other high battery consumption lamps.

Lilred
07-13-2006, 10:24
AT mentioned in this Laptop article.

http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=1087

Did you notice that the study was done by INTEL? Not exactly and unbiased article by any means.

Ridge
07-13-2006, 11:15
Did you notice that the study was done by INTEL? Not exactly and unbiased article by any means.

Correct, Intel looks like they may even get into manufacturing their own equipment per other articles I've read.