PDA

View Full Version : Just back From Sages Ravine

landcruzr
07-01-2006, 10:33
We just got back from our first trip on the AT, and what an experience. My 10 y.o. son(now given the name "powerstroke" by "just gene" had the time of his life, and even though suffered some slight heat exhaustion,(mostly due to Dad planning to many miles) was very proud of his accomplishments. This section of Connecticut is absolutely beautiful. We had to find our own spot off the trail on Tues night as powerstroke wasn't going to make it the last mile and a half to Riga. After rehydrating and eating good- we got up the next morning and cleared Lions head in the rain, and sat out the rest of the storm in Riga. then found a break in the clouds and bounced up to Brassie Brook Shelter. We set up camp there, and I made sure not to make the same mistake twice- this trip was for powerstroke to enjoy, and not for me to rack up miles- so we dried out at Brassie Brook, and ate and drank and had an amazing father son day!
Next day we cleared Bear Mtn, and met Just Gene. Just Gene gave powerstroke his trail name, and we shared a few good stories before Just Gene started on his way- we went into Sages Ravine and spent the day swimming in the icy cold river and went for a little hike north on the trail before returning for the night.
Hiked out to route 41 on th Paradise lane trail and the under mountain trail early Friday morning- all in all, an amazing 4 days with my son, in an amazing enviornment- full of beauty and wonderful peole who were nothing but friendly and supportive. Many "through" hikers shared good stories, and several "day" and "section" hikers praised powerstroke on his very successful first time out!! Some of the people we met: Just Gene, the group from Mansfield CT, The two through hikers from Carolina and "The Maine Train"- there were others along the way and I didnt get all their names
Thanks to all for a wonderful time- I cant even begin to explain the feelings that my son and I shared during this trip, and the fun we had!!:sun

P.S. Sorry if this got lengthy, but still havent even touched on the time we had!!

fishinfred
07-01-2006, 10:48
Sounds like you had an AWSOME time ! Thats a great bunch in the Maine Train (met them this spring) glad to hear they're still having fun!
Your story makes me all the more anxious for my trip out with my grandson "Lil Minnow" (8) on his first trip (NEXT WEEK).I hope we have as great an experience as you two "obviously" had! We're going for the "SMILES" too !Thanks for sharing your experience ....I have to go pack now!
:)
Fishinfred

landcruzr
07-01-2006, 17:27
Thanks Fred, I like the idea of "SMILES" in place of "MILES"- isnt that what it should all be about?
Hope your trip is happy, healthy and as satisfying as ours was-have fun with lil minnow- thse trips will create the memories that make them want to come back againand again
Good luck and have fun
Landcruzr

Kevin A. Boyce
07-01-2006, 22:56
Landcruzr.... Glad you and Powerstroke had a great time out. That is a great section to take a new hiker on, great views, a swiming hole, and some shelters...

You should take him down to Kent now and enjoy that section... Maybe up over St John's Ledges south to Ten Mile River/Bulls Bridge area...

See you on the trail!
KevBoy

gsingjane
07-02-2006, 06:37
SO glad you had a good time! I'll be out in that same general area with my 11 year old and my 7 year old next week, for the little one's very first overnight on the AT. Introducing kids to the fun of backpacking is even cooler than doing it yourself! I wish many more parents were like you!

Jane in CT

landcruzr
07-02-2006, 06:43
KevBoy-
the next trip is already being discussed- the southern part of the state is an option, also liked the looks of southern MA as well- we'll see-