PDA

View Full Version : Trenchfoot drops out in New York

Adom
07-01-2006, 11:42
Stress fracture in my right foot and very low funds. Just can't pull it off this year :(

Great experience, yadda, not in a very good mood right now, pretty dissappointed with myself.

A lot of fun out there and really loved meeting so many great souls. Hopefully I can make back out here in the next year or two to finish, or maybe attempt it again.

Adom
07-01-2006, 11:49
By the way, best of luck to everyone still going!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-01-2006, 12:15
Proud of you for the accomplishment. While I know you would rather end the hike in ME, that you are ending it primarily due to injury tells me you have what it takes to make it all the way - you just had the misfortune to get a stress injury.

Hope you will complete the rest of the trail when your foot and finances are in better shape. The joy is in the journey - and the surprises and changes as the journey progresses are just part of the journey.

papa john
07-01-2006, 12:56
Don't beat yourself up too bad. The trail wil always be there and ready for you to finish or try it again.

SGT Rock
07-01-2006, 13:25
Hey, at least you got out there and had the chance. There is nothing wrong with that. Any day on the trail is a good day, and you got a few.

emerald
07-01-2006, 13:54
It takes some folks longer than others to finish. How long it takes to complete the A.T. really doesn't matter.

Sometimes good fortune prevails upon a hike, other times it doesn't. There's absolutely no shame in having given it your best effort.

You will likely have the opportunity to finish later when you have the funds and good health to enjoy the experience properly. Now is the time to get well again.

Consider for a moment that, once completed, your hike may in the end be more meaningful to you as a result of these temporary circumstances that will pass.

kevin
07-01-2006, 14:38
A lot of fun out there and really loved meeting so many great souls. Hopefully I can make back out here in the next year or two to finish, or maybe attempt it again.

Looking at the last couple sentences of your post, it may not have been the completed thru that you set out for, but it definitely was a successful journey...and that is what its really all about.

The trail ain't going anywhere (or at least it better not be...at my rate its gonna take another 15 years or so to climb Katahdin). Now you still have a goal to look forward to in the next couple years.

Smile
07-01-2006, 15:31
You did great getting as far as you did ! A major accomplishment in itself ;-)

dreamhiker
07-01-2006, 16:26
Good job on making it to whre you did. You will just have more drive to do it again.
DreamHiker

Sly
07-01-2006, 17:00
I had a very similar experience twice, once on the AT and once on the PCT and went back to finish both trails the following year. I never considered starting over, but would have finished a started again if the funds were available.

On the AT I was flat broke by Boiling Springs, but found a ride home to Massachusetts the very next day, where I went back to work. Picked up again nearly 2 months later in NH and lasted about a week before I blew out a knee. By Christmas time I was filling in gaps and finished in earnest the next year.

You still have time to heal, get back to work and hike south from Katahdin or some other variation. About the same time all your 'buds' will be in Maine, just about finishing. Good times. No need to quit just yet!

Adom
07-02-2006, 05:41
Thanks guys.

I'm back in Iowa and not so disappointed anymore. I'm appreciating what I accomplished more an realizing I may have a chance at finishing a flip-flop.

I had actually never done any back packing before I hit the AT and my first steps on it were on March 26th when I started. I'd say it was a definite success over all, I learned a lot over the 97 days I was out on the trail and I loved most of every minute I was out on it. Sometimes I did wonder why I was out there but most of the time I was filled with comtempt and joy like I have not ever experienced any where else in life.

This was great fun but it's no fun to hike in pain for me, hopefully I can muster up the money to finish this year, if not I will definitly be back to give it a go next year.

Take care people, I love you all

Trenchfoot

Ridge
07-02-2006, 14:20
You still have time to get off the trail, recoup, and head back out. I would hold off on tossing in the towel. I had to abandon a PCT hike in 05, I'm still upset, I'm even thinking about trying to restart where I left off, but will probably do it all over again, alone. Funding a hike that far off can be expensive, but, I figure all I need is food and water, maybe a little gear replacement. If I have people back home sending me 3 squares a day, with a few other items I'll be fine. I use a Sierra Zip woodburner stove so I don't even need to buy fuel. Taking the time off, the PCT will probably take me around 5 months, is the BIG problem.

Adom
07-03-2006, 10:03
I believe you are right. I'm seriously considering going back out in September and heading south from Katahdin. How terrible would be weather be if I did this?

Ender
07-03-2006, 10:12
You'd probably hit nasty weather in the Whites, but that's no reason not to try it. Just go prepared for very cold snowy weather there.

MOWGLI
07-03-2006, 10:23
Wrong thread - sorry.

Adom
07-03-2006, 10:24
Having never winter hiked or been in the whites I'm not sure what I would need. 3 season tent and 20 degree bag work? Would I need cramp ons?

Adom
07-03-2006, 10:41
Just spoke to a ranger at High Point State Park. As of now, there are no plans to close the trail, but "things are changing every hour." I was advised to call back tomorrow for an update on the situation. They do expect to close the park - and already have partial closures in place.

There was no trail when I went through. It was a freaking river! Knee deep at times, bridges washed out, had to fjord a few dangerously swollen creeks.

emerald
07-03-2006, 13:57
Adom, the possible closure being discussed is a result of a dispute between the governor and legislature over the budget. It's not related to the weather as far as I know.

I'm wondering if it may have been your intention to post to another thread. See also MOWGLI16's post today at 10:23.