PDA

View Full Version : Shelters - how often?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-01-2006, 21:52
Listening to the talk about shelters, I decided to see just how often people actually use them.

Grizzley_Bear
07-01-2006, 21:59
I used to use them all the time when I carried a tent, but I just got a hammock so that will probably change.

generoll
07-01-2006, 22:16
depends a lot on the weather. a shelter is certainly welcome when it's raining.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-01-2006, 22:19
On the AT, I carry a tarpent, so the shelters are fine with me. Of course the LNTers and trail legends hate them, so I like them even more!;)

bearbag hanger
07-01-2006, 23:50
I perfer my hammock, but if it's raining or it's late and I'm tired and it's cold enough so there aren't too many bugs, then I'll use the shelter.

SGT Rock
07-02-2006, 11:14
Stay away. They are nice places to stop and make a meal because you can normally set at a table and enjoy some people, but as soon as you are tired of them or the place you can move on. I sleep like crap when forced to shelter in the Smokies.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-02-2006, 13:22
I've never tried sleeping in a shelter. As Rock says, they do make a nice place to stop, eat and socialize. However, the idea of mice in my hair, snakes looking for a mouse-meal, hiker stink from multiple hikers and several people snoring has caused me to voluntarily forgo shelters for sleeping thus far. I might consider staying in one if the weather was really awful (like gale force wind driven rain or a foot of snow).

Rock - has the Smokies made any provision for hammockers yet?

SGT Rock
07-02-2006, 14:01
The Smokies has trees. When I stay at the other campsites no ranger has told me to take it down.

On the AT I have only hammocked one time because the shelter was full of thru-hikers. Technically I was wrong since I had a shelter reservation and one of the thrus should have given me his space, but I think with a good smile and a logical story I could have convinced the ranger I was OK. But it never came up.

Ridge
07-02-2006, 14:05
I need my rest, and trying to sleep in a shelter can be impossible for many reasons. I also find the ground to be (a lot of times) softer than the shelter platforms. A shelter to me is like a community center, good for eating and socializing, but not to sleep.

generoll
07-02-2006, 15:09
Hmmm, eating in the shelter huh. No wonder they are full of mice.

hikerjohnd
07-02-2006, 17:35
Hmmm, eating in the shelter huh. No wonder they are full of mice.
Yea - but if you're not sleeping there then mice are not really a problem :D:D:D

Like others have said, I will stop, have a meal and a little socialization, but I prefer to set up my tent away from shelters. I can snore all I want, do what I want with my food (hang it or not), listen to my MP3 player as I sleep, talk on my cell phone if I happen to have it with me. I can be as inconsiderate as I please (and no - that does not mean blasting a stereo for folks in the next valley to hear) because I am alone. It's not that I do not want to socialize, but sometimes folks prefer their privacy.

I have noticed though... as my pack weight drops, I am more likely to set up my tent because I am not as tired at the end of the day.

fishinfred
07-02-2006, 17:45
Only in REALLY bad weather....shelters they sukk! But nice to have when you REALLY need em too..."Rarely"..
Peace!
Fishinfred

Blue Jay
07-02-2006, 20:20
I've never tried sleeping in a shelter.....mice in my hair, snakes looking for a mouse-meal, hiker stink from multiple hikers and several people snoring

I like mice, snakes, hiker stink and snoring, so I use shelters often.

Skidsteer
07-02-2006, 21:07
Slept in one shelter one time. Darn near froze to death. No more.

I don't mind setting up near one if it's not too crowded and the company seems straight-up.

If it doesn't seem right, I just hike on a little ways.

Doctari
07-03-2006, 14:25
Others need their rest, so for me it's common courtesy to stay away. I'm not quiet to the level of snoring that Sly can achieve, but I've been told by some who have stayed with us both, that I'm close & gaining :D so, I try to stay elsewhere.

Reason #2: those floors are HARD, even with a foam pad. Usually, the ground is softer, and now I have a hammock so no need to be sore(er) in the AM from sleeping on a hard floor.

#3: Others can keep you up all night by: snoreing, talking, reading (light shining in your eyes) Setting up or Packing up.

#4: Mice. Love em, but not running across my face at 3:00 AM.

Doctari.

paddler
07-04-2006, 15:31
i like to stay when they are empty. which is most of the time in Maine in the middle of the week when i usualy have my days off.

onesocktwin
07-05-2006, 15:55
as one of "old folks" (section hiker - with my 70 y/o sister).....we use shelters about 1/2 the time. we avoid peak thru hiker season. in my humble opinion the 7-8 mile spacing gives us old folks more options.

how about an option for contributing monetarily (especially for those of us who must travel long distances to the trail which makes volunteering and trail maintenance nearly impossible) to help with $$ for upkeep? i am sympathetic to the funding issues. any thoughts on how this could work?

for those who don't consider section hikers "real hikers".......sorry i didn't learn of the AT when i was younger and healthier. i am THANKFUL to be able to section hike and don't mind sharing with you kids who blow by me on trail
;-) ...with any luck, some day you too will be old and keep on hiking!

weary
07-05-2006, 16:48
as one of "old folks" (section hiker - with my 70 y/o sister).....we use shelters about 1/2 the time. we avoid peak thru hiker season. in my humble opinion the 7-8 mile spacing gives us old folks more options.

how about an option for contributing monetarily (especially for those of us who must travel long distances to the trail which makes volunteering and trail maintenance nearly impossible) to help with $$ for upkeep? i am sympathetic to the funding issues. any thoughts on how this could work?

for those who don't consider section hikers "real hikers".......sorry i didn't learn of the AT when i was younger and healthier. i am THANKFUL to be able to section hike and don't mind sharing with you kids who blow by me on trail
;-) ...with any luck, some day you too will be old and keep on hiking!
Almost every shelter has the name of the maintaining club posted someplace. Just copy the address and send them a check.

If you've hiked in Maine and feel guilty about not contributing, our address is MATC, PO Box 1256, Auburn, Maine 04211.

Those who prefer to work through the internet, just open;

www.matc.org

In addition to meeting an $150,000 annual budget with only $9,000 in dues income, this year we need an extra $50,000 to fight an industrial power development less than a mile from the trail.

Of course, the Maine Appalachian Trail Land TRust also needs support. We have bought parts of two mountains near the trail and need funds for a planned Maine Mountain Conference to be held on October 21.

That address is

www.matlt.org

weary

trippclark
07-05-2006, 16:54
I voted "rarely." Only once, other than in GSMNP where required, have I actually stayed *IN* a shelter. Very often, however, I will camp at or very near to a shelter. I would prefer to sleep in my hammock, but the shelter offers conveniences of a table and privy, often, and usually water and a generally good camping area.