PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow vs. Lunar solo

nc1100c
07-01-2006, 22:55
I'm in the market for a new lighter tent. I'm looking at both the tarptent rainbow and the six moon designs lunar solo. I would like to get suggestions on each. From time to time I may need a tent that would hold two but I want to save as much weight as possible. 90% of the time there would be only one in the tent. Also would both hold up say 2-3 inches of snow? I would like to hear from those of you that have experance with these tents.:confused:

bearbag hanger
07-01-2006, 23:45
I use a hammock most of the time, but have a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for when I really need to go light. Don't have any experience with snow, but it's been a good tent. You could put two people in it, but the gear would have to live outside (which I'm use to when I hang the hammock) and it would be tight. The only problem I have is it uses a lot of stacks to set up, about six (min) on up to about ten for holding out the walls and storm set up.

Don't have any experience with the Tarptent Rainbow, but it looks nice.

nc1100c
07-02-2006, 07:13
I tried the hammock a couple of times on trips into the Smokys near where I live. I reallly liked sleeping in it however my sleeping bag got really damp. I think it was where the dew settled against the outside sides and bottom of the hammock and my bag was touching against the inside. Have you ever had this problem?

firefly
07-02-2006, 09:10
I have the Lunar Solo. It is an excellent tent-but I have never used it in the snow. You could fit 2 people in mine if they were good friends, short, and did not move around in their sleep much. I recently purchased the new Spinn-Squall because it is a 2 person but I have not used it yet.

Kerosene
07-02-2006, 09:16
As firefly says, you're going to be extremely cozy with 2 people in the Lunar Solo (that's why it has 'solo' in the name(!)). This is a single-wall tent, as is the Rainbow, so you could certainly get frost on the inside of the walls on a very cold night. No reason why it shouldn't be able to handle a few inches of snow, although I do not know anyone who has experienced it. Call Six Moon Designs and ask them.

If you do go with the Lunar Solo, then definitely get the 8" Easton aluminum tent stakes (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=290&parent_category_rn=4500663&vcat=REI_SEARCH), which make it a lot easier to correctly guy out the tent to preserve ventilation.

firefly
07-02-2006, 09:34
Actually I would only put 2 people in there if I had no other choice. The same goes for snow. The tent is only designed for solo -3 season use. It should hold up if you get surprised by light snow or is you have to stuff another person in there but I would NOT reccomend purchasing it as a 2 person snow type of shelter.

Two Speed
07-02-2006, 10:01
Can't offer an opinion on the Rainbow because I haven't used one, but I am extremely pleased with my Lunar. Personally I think two people could use the Lunar, particularly if they were both of small stature, but Ron Moak, the owner of Six Moon Designs, is pretty adamant about that not being a good idea. So far every time I've ignored one of Ron's recommendations about his gear it hasn't worked out too well, so that would be one of those things you'd have to do at your own risk.

I will second the comment Kerosene made about using the Easton stakes. I tried to make an old set of stakes work, and I really don't want to talk about that experience too much. Suffice it to say that I broke down, got the Easton stakes and things started working out much better. The Easton stakes allow pitching the Lunar a little higher which in turn allows the ventilation work the way it was intended. If you don't get the ventilation working you will have problems with condensation, but I believe that would be true of any single wall shelter.

Pitched correctly the Lunar is a very dry shelter. Screw that up and you'll wake up in a swimming pool.

I did get the carbon fiber pole that Ron has on the Six Moon site and am very pleased with how the Lunar works with that pole. I do use my walking stick for the back pull out and that makes everything work better, too.

I have been out in light snow/sleet and didn't have any problems (that weren't my own making) but haven't been in a heavy snow fall. Given the Lunar's shape and the likelyhood of it shedding snow I wouldn't anticipate any major problems, but you may want to e-mail Ron and see what he has to say.

My previous shelter, a Sierra Designs Lightyear, is a slightly better shelter in very cold weather, but is substantially smaller and heavier. The Lunar is "drafty" compared to the Lightyear. Of course, another word for "drafty" is ventilation. If you're transitioning from a double wall tent anticipate some adjustments to your site selection and such.

BTW, my Lunar is one of the old designs. I've seen one of the new Lunar E's in the woods and I believe it to be a significant improvement.

None of the above is intended as a slam on the Rainbow. Lots of folks using them and seem pretty happy, too.

bigcranky
07-02-2006, 11:06
To quote the SMD web site on the Lunar Solo e --

"Its low hexagonal shape easily spills the wind no matter the direction. Short steeply sloped sides handle snow or high winds with ease."

So perhaps it's okay in snow.

I have a question about these 8-inch stakes. Can someone explain how they allow you to raise the sides of the tent for more ventilation?

Thanks.

Two Speed
07-02-2006, 14:00
. . .

I have a question about these 8-inch stakes. Can someone explain how they allow you to raise the sides of the tent for more ventilation?

Thanks.Don't set them flush with the ground. Leave 'em protruding and inch or two.

bearbag hanger
07-02-2006, 17:14
In regards to the 8 inch stakes recommended for the SMD Lunar Solo. I didn't want to cary the extra weight and so did something a little different. I added about 12 inches of spectra light cord to each tie out. This has allowed me to pitch the tent higher so I get the additional ventilation. It's almost the same idea Tarptent recommends with their other tents (not the Rainbow). The extra cord is less weight than the heavier tent stakes and it has worked for me.

bigcranky
07-02-2006, 17:28
Regarding the 8-inch stakes, I figured it was something like that. I would just add 8 inches or so of lightweight cord to the tie-outs, which would lift the sides off the ground. My Tarptent already does this, though one has the option to stake the sides flush -- but that kills a lot of ventilation.

vaporjourney
07-03-2006, 00:30
Of course, another word for "drafty" is ventilation. If you're transitioning from a double wall tent anticipate some adjustments to your site selection and such.

what would change in site selection? woudl you be looking for an area with less wind? Also, what happens if i t were to rain and you had the tent raised a bit for ventilation? Would you have to get out of the tent and readjust the tent stakes?

Franco
07-03-2006, 06:21
Hi NC1100C
I am I known Rainbow lover, so here are some biased comments about it.
First, often for me with equipment is love at first sight. However I do fall in love often.
My Rainbow has seen wind, rain and snow , however here in Australia it snows in centimeters not inches. Two to three centimeters was just fine for the Rainbow but keep in mind that it was not designed as a winter tent.
As far as space goes, it has a larger floor area than the Lunar Solo, not a double tent, but pretty close. If there is a chance that you will need a double more than just once or twice, have a look at the Double Rainbow, a wider version with a few extra very desirable features.
Franco

nc1100c
07-03-2006, 07:15
Sounds as if the Lunar or Rainbow would be a good choice. Which one is easier or quicker to set up? It also appears both are about the same weight if you look at the specs. The rainbow is 30 oz. including stakes, the Lunar 26.5 not including the stakes.Seems if you use 6 inch stakes it could be just alittle more.

Two Speed
07-03-2006, 09:44
Of course, another word for "drafty" is ventilation. If you're transitioning from a double wall tent anticipate some adjustments to your site selection and such.

what would change in site selection? woudl you be looking for an area with less wind? Also, what happens if i t were to rain and you had the tent raised a bit for ventilation? Would you have to get out of the tent and readjust the tent stakes?Site selection is one of the items I've been working on. Back when I carried a double wall tent, a Peak 1 Multi-Fool and a 0 degree synthetic bag I would throw down anywhere, with little regard for exposure to the wind, orientation to the sunrise, etc. I now use a Lunar (pretty obvious, I guess), an alky stove and a 20 degree down bag. I am very comfortable with the changes but there's less room for error. The heavier equipment allowed me to ignore factors that came into play as my gear got lighter. I'd like to believe that I'm substituting skill for gear.

Ron recommends orienting the Lunar with the "back" into the wind and the vestibule on the downwind side. Given that the vestibule does not run down as close to the ground as the rest of the shelter that's good advice unless it's hot weather and you want a wind tunnel (aka "ventilation"). This brings me back to site selection. I believe that a skilled camper adjusts his/her tactics depending on the weather and season. I also believe a skilled camper will do their best to get a thorough understanding of how his/her gear will perform, and how to adapt that gear to changing or unanticipated conditions. Last, I believe a good winter camp site could be too sheltered from breezes that may be desireable in hot weather.

I've never had to leave my Lunar to adjust it once I settled in for the night. I always make any tweaks before getting in. In addition the Lunar has a strap on the front guy that can be tightened from inside the shelter. If it sags a little you can unzip just a bit, reach up near the peak and tighten things up.

While I did have a few wet nights due to condensation I've never had a problem with wind blown rain in my Lunar. Of course, that brings up site selection with respect to anticipated weather, etc, etc etc. My take is that the Lunar should always be pitched "high." The rain won't get you but condensation will.

FWIW I suspect that the Rainbow requires a bit more thought than a traditional double wall tent to achieve a good night's sleep. I'm interested to hear what the folks who use the Rainbow have to say on that subject.

I think we're wandering (OK, I'm wandering) pretty far from the theme of this thread, so if you've got any more questions shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to do what I can to help, or maybe we need to start another thread on that subject.

Franco
07-04-2006, 06:26
Quote "FWIW I suspect that the Rainbow requires a bit more thought than a traditional double wall tent to achieve a good night's sleep. I'm interested to hear what the folks who use the Rainbow have to say on that subject."
I am glad that you enjoy your Lunar Solo as much as I do my Rainbow.
In calm weather I can set up my tent in less than three minutes, just for the fun of it I have done that in my backyard in under 2 minutes and 30 seconds. After that before I settle in for the night I tighten up the four corner guylines, 30 second at a slow pace, and that is it.
In the bush and in windy conditions it takes me a minute or so longer.
If you are referring to the positioning of the tent, I was born in the mountains, so I just look around and instinct tells me where to place it and what direction to point it at. I cannot really explain how, I just do it.
Please don't get me wrong, the Lunar Solo is a very clever design, but I chose the Rainbow and I am very happy with that.
For a specific comparison you could ask Benjamin Tang, he has both. Just don't ask him about backpacks or you will never hear the end of it.
Franco

Two Speed
07-04-2006, 07:06
. . . For a specific comparison you could ask Benjamin Tang, he has both . . .
Franco
Sounds like Benjamin is the person who could best answer nc 1100c's question. What would it take to get Benjamin to write up a brief comparison and get that posted that here?

Franco
07-08-2006, 01:13
Ben was on a hike in Colorado, this is what he has to say :
1. If light weight is the most important criterion, then I would choose the Lunar. It's an excellent tent, easy to pitch, stable as heck when properly staked down, and very roomy for solo use.

2. But if one desires either a self-standing tent or one with tons of headroom in addition to spacious floor space, and don't mind adding a few more ounces of weight (or more if user doesn't habitually hike with poles) -- then one should choose the Rainbow. The Lunar provides enough headroom, but only when the user sits right under the apex.

Having said the above, I've never used either in snow. For me, in the winter, I would prefer a double wall tent where I can close out most (if not all) of the elements. I don't think I want to use a tent where the entire perimeter is 'always open' to the elements...
Ben

Choose the one you like
Franco

Phoenix Rising
07-10-2006, 16:01
As respects to the Rainbow, I spoke to a thru hiker at trail days who is currently using one this season. Her only complaint was in a stiff wind the connection points between the tent and the trekking poles easily came un-hooked, collapsing the walls of the tent.

RockyTrail
07-10-2006, 18:25
I'll second Kerosene's 8" Easton stake recommendation, I use 2 of those in my Tarptent Squall (for the critical front and back guylines) and use the little ones for side tieouts. That way you use the heavier ones only where you need the extra gripping power but the weight differnce is negilgible when you're only carrying 2.

hshires
07-10-2006, 20:21
As respects to the Rainbow, I spoke to a thru hiker at trail days who is currently using one this season. Her only complaint was in a stiff wind the connection points between the tent and the trekking poles easily came un-hooked, collapsing the walls of the tent.

I'll take the blame for not including better diagrams but I'd love to be able to be able to talk to that thruhiker. The only way that trekking poles can come loose would be if she was not properly wrapping the arch pole strap around the trekking pole shaft and using the "T" velcro strap to secure it OR not properly looping the O-rings over the trekking pole ends. Better to stake everything down in a stiff wind anyway but when properly tensioned/wrapped there's just no way that trekking pole connections can come loose.

-H

nc1100c
07-11-2006, 18:08
Just to let everyone know,after reviewing the inof on each tent I have decided to get the rainbow. In,fact I ordered one the other day. Both seems to be great tents however I thought the rainbow matches more what I was looking for.

vaporjourney
07-22-2006, 17:26

Can anyone else confirm this? I had been trying decide between the Lunar Solo and Rainbow, and may have decided on the Rainbow, but if it can't withstand high winds, this would be an issue. The Rainbow is attractive to me because I have thought of doing some camping out West where freestanding tents would be helpful, but if exposed on balds, wind protection is essential.

cls
08-02-2006, 20:28
I carried a Rainbow from Waynesboro to Maine (thanks Mr. Shires for the rapid response to my order). Once the bugs got bad I slept in it every night, probably about 25 nights. I found it easy to set up and very roomy. It could easily hold two people in a pinch. I picked the Rainbow because of the self-supporting feature and the side entry. If the treking poles are properly fastened to the tent I don't see how they could come loose. If a female hiker had a problem it could be that she did not lengthen the treking poles enough before attaching them to the tent. The self-supporting feature makes the tent easy to set up on platforms or in shelters if there is room. The only time condensation occured was when it rained. My tent had a sewn-in-floor. I was careful about clearing the ground before I set up the tent and as a result the floor still looks new. If there is any thing I would change it would be to make the pole sections shorter so they can be packed crossways in my pack instead of having to place them upright.

hikerjohnd
08-02-2006, 21:49
Quick question about the Lunar Solo - A friend is shopping for a new tent (he is carrying a 6lb 2 man tent for now) and is considering all options. Could an average size man (5' 11" - 185 lbs max) fit in a Lunar Solo with his daughter - (3' 85lbs) if she came on a trip with him? I know she will not be that small forever - but I feel her participation in trips would be rare. I would not want him to pass on this tent if it would function for his needs... Thanks for the input!

Footslogger
08-02-2006, 22:02
[quote=hikerjohnd]Quick question about the Lunar Solo - A friend is shopping for a new tent (he is carrying a 6lb 2 man tent for now) and is considering all options. Could an average size man (5' 11" - 185 lbs max) fit in a Lunar Solo with his daughter - (3' 85lbs) if she came on a trip with him?
============================
I have the lunar solo-e and I am 5'10'/160 lbs. I can get my pack in with me but to be totally honest it wouldn't be comfortable putting another person in there with me.

'Slogger

hikerjohnd
08-02-2006, 22:06
I have the lunar solo-e and I am 5'10'/160 lbs. I can get my pack in with me but to be totally honest it wouldn't be comfortable putting another person in there with me.

'Slogger

That's good enough for me - I'll tell him to nix that tent from his list if he thinks his daughter may hike with him.

Footslogger
08-02-2006, 22:12
That's good enough for me - I'll tell him to nix that tent from his list if he thinks his daughter may hike with him.
==================================
If it was a rectangular floor design and the child was small it might have worked. But the Lunar Solo-e has just enough room for a single hiker and then a small "triangle" of unused space that is just big enough for your backpack.

The Rainbow, at least in my opinion, would be a better choice for that situation ...and remember, there's always the Double Rainbow.

'Slogger