PDA

View Full Version : Finding the Long Path trailhead @GWB

macleod7000
07-02-2006, 10:31
Hi all...

can anyone tell me where to meet the trailhead for the Long Path? I'm planning on following it north to Harriman & the AT. Is it as obvious as walking across the bridge and taking a right? Is it well marked at the foot of the bridge?

Thanks all!

A-Train
07-03-2006, 00:04
It's pretty easy to find. I believe marked with turquoise blazes. I haven't been there for a few yrs, but I remember it starting on the street, just below the bridge (you take a fenced staircase) in Fort Lee. You shouldn't have trouble finding it. The Palisade Parkway is just to your left and nice views to the east.

MOWGLI
07-03-2006, 05:29
You'll find that info and more at this link;

http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/longpath/

mrc237
07-03-2006, 10:24
I have hiked this section of LP many times on the way to BSA Camp Alpine 12 miles from GWB. Just N of the bridge over the PIP approach you'll find a blaze if you miss it (or its faded away) just continue N to the gas sta. and you'll be able to pick up the trail from there. Just be sure the PIP is on your left and the HR is on your right. Its about 33 miles to HSP (Times Square juntion just N of lemon squeezer) with plenty of stops and short road walks along the way. When are you leaving?-------EZ

mrc237
07-03-2006, 10:30
Excuuuuuse me! Should have checked MOWGLI16's post before mine. Nice job MO!

Kerosene
07-03-2006, 10:31
I was thinking about hiking the Long Path on weekends, as my job frequently takes me out to the northeast Jersey area. Does anyone have an opinion for how safe it is for a solo hiker in this urban corridor?

MOWGLI
07-03-2006, 10:34
Very safe - no worries.

macleod7000
07-03-2006, 11:18
Thanks everyone for all the very useful info.

I'm leaving on or possibly one day after 7/4 with the intent of following the AT north. I'm undecided as to which approach to take- the Long Path at GWB, Port Authority bus to Harriman, or the Appalachian Trail station on the Metro-North line. It is all complicated by my companion's datebook, the various bus and train schedules, and of course the July 4th holiday and its effects on both.

It's looking like 7/5.

A-Train
07-04-2006, 13:49
A lot of folks don't know, but Short Lines bus service runs 3 trips a day to the Bear MTN Inn and back to the city. Drops you off right at the trail. Get the bus from Port Authority.

macleod7000
07-05-2006, 19:00
A-Train & others...

If I catch that Short-line bus to the Bear Mtn. Inn like you suggested, then head northward on the trail, will I have Bear Mountain and the whole park behind me, or what?

My reason for asking is that I have the option of doing the bus to Bear Mtn Inn tomorrow, or wait to take the Metro North Railroad to Pawling this weekend. Is the hike between the Inn and Pawling nice, or would I do better shooting straight to Pawling first and on to the Connecticut section? My lady is coming with me so I'd like her to see some great stuff as quickly as possible.

By the way, I haven't been able to get my hands on a ATC map for the NY section (EMS had run out). Are there places to get AT maps near the Inn or on the trail itself?

Thanks in advance!

MOWGLI
07-05-2006, 19:48
Bear Mtn to Pawling is not the Long Path. What is your goal? To hike the LP or the AT?

MOWGLI
07-05-2006, 19:58
Are there places to get AT maps near the Inn or on the trail itself?

Thanks in advance!

If you were to hike SOBO on the AT from the Bear Mountain Inn, when you hit the PIP, turn right and walk about .5-.7 miles to the Book Store in the median. They sell all of the NYNJTC map sets there. Plus they sell ice cream, soda, and possibly some candy bars. Continue SOBO on the AT and you will eventually hit the LP inside Harriman SP.

MOWGLI
07-05-2006, 20:19
Sorry. I missed reading post 8.

mrc237
07-06-2006, 15:28
I think you can purchase maps etc in the BMSP office which is located S of the inn near the Carosel I'm going there Mon. to hike the Bear Mtn/Sufffern trail