PDA

View Full Version : blizzard of 1993

max patch
03-16-2003, 13:26
Ten years ago this weekend the "storm of the century" dropped more than a foot of snow in Atlanta and up to 50 inches in the North Georgia mountains. Rangers evacuated aspiring thru-hikers from Springer and other shelters on the Trail. The Atlanta airport and other airports thru-out the Southeast were closed for a day.

Jensine, do you have any stories about this weekend?

jensine
03-16-2003, 16:40
Since you asked... YES. Near Wallace Gap, we ended up with over 3 feet of snow. Just as it started snowing, my Dad and Wild Bill ( Wm Hawkins, yo-yo '92-'93) drove up to Deep Gap and posted a sign warning hikers of the coming storm. That evening, after about a foot and a half, the power went out. A neighbor had walked up to visit. All hikers at the time were in the bunkhouse. We were sitting in the kitchen and heard a noise on the back porch. There was a hiker who had hiked the road from Deep Gap to us. We let him in, gave him hot cocoa, etc. He was
from Canada and spoke mostly French. We got him down to the
bunkhouse. Next a.m. 2+ feet of snow and still snowing. Actually a white out. We put two coleman cook stoves in the store and had the woodstove going. I cooked for four days on the coleman's and woodstove for anywhere from 11-15 hikers. Well, at least breakfast and dinner. More hikers coming in. The hikers in the bunkhouse had to use a 5 gal bucket, if you know what I mean. We all had chores to do. tote wood, get water, wash dishes, etc. But we all made out. Through all this Iwas on the phone continually, trying to get a 83 yr. old neighbor rescued.
Plus the phone was ringing off the hook with worried parents of
hikers and the Forest Service, checking our list. We had a list, and knew where every hiker was from Neel's to Fontana, with the exception of one couple. (They had gone in to Helen, this was way before hikers went in to Helen). We were all cold, but we managed. Then the phone started ringing, ABC, CBS, NBC, radio stations, etc. I finally got to the point where I told them I didn't have anything to tell them that they wanted to hear. One replied, "like what" I said, no frostbite, no blood, no guts, no deaths. The reply I got was,"You're right" 4 1/2 days without power. Some hikers walked out, only to come back. It was a tough time. Some got alittle edgy, cabin fever, etc. But we all
pulled through. On a personal note,, Buddy and I had been taking sponge baths in front of the woodstove. Finally he remembered we had a gas hot water heater. Sure enough, there
was some warm water left in it. I went first, he poured 5 gals over me, then 5 more to rinse, then we switched. That was the
best Damn John Wayne bath I had ever had.
Sorry to be so winded, this is only part of the story. I think of it
everytime I hear a hiker complain about the cold and rain when it's in the 40's. Now I know that can be cold, but the Blizzard of '93 will long be in my memory.

RagingHampster
03-16-2003, 17:00
"It was winter nine-e-tree... 22 kids inta the woods, 12 come out alive. Snowman took the rest. Ever look into a snowman's eyes? Deep, black they are. Oh 'ore the river 'n true da woods, to deep gap a-tee we go... *hiccup*".

ga>me>ak
03-22-2003, 19:15
Cool story, great reply RH.

Dirtyoldman
03-23-2003, 05:40
umm RH? I think were gonna need a bigger pack...And for the third time no I dont wanna see your scars.