PDA

View Full Version : Water Source near Standing Indian Mountain

Peak2Peak
07-02-2006, 20:16
What is the closest water source to the campsite on top of Standing Indian Mountain, other than Standing Indian Shelter on the way up? Thanks.

Skidsteer
07-02-2006, 20:30
What is the closest water source to the campsite on top of Standing Indian Mountain, other than Standing Indian Shelter on the way up? Thanks.

Do you know the turnoff for the summit of Standing Indian? If NOBO the side trail turns to the right.

Ten paces before you reach this turnoff will be an unmarked trail leading left. Follow this trail for @80-100 yards going down and bearing left for the last 40 yards or so. The trail splits in several places but all paths lead to a piped spring at the bottom.

If SOBO, reverse the directions; I.E. Turn right on the unmarked trail ten paces after passing the left-hand turn to the summit.

In all, it's probably 250-300 yards from the summit.

I was up that way a couple weeks ago and the spring was slow but steady. We've had some decent rains since then.

SGT Rock
07-03-2006, 04:28
In my expereince it is good water. But if it is a dry season and you are NOBO you pass by a creek before you get to the Standing Indian Shelter. You can fill up there and carry the water the short 1.6 miles in. The climb isn't that bad.

Nightwalker
07-03-2006, 10:55
I was up there a couple of weeks ago, after a goodly-length dry spell. The spring was flowing at the rate of about 1 liter in 90 seconds. You can set your water bottle under the pipe and it will fill on its own.

I went down two different ways the night before and the morning after. The easiest way, for me, is to go a short way down the lower ridge trail, where you'll see a blue pole in the ground on the left. That trail leads to the spring. Going the lower ridge trail direction is slightly longer but shallower in grade.

As SGT Rock said, there are many trail forks on the way down, but they all lead to the spring.

And BTW, the water tastes amazingly good. :)

Skidsteer
07-03-2006, 15:53
I was up there a couple of weeks ago, after a goodly-length dry spell. The spring was flowing at the rate of about 1 liter in 90 seconds. You can set your water bottle under the pipe and it will fill on its own.

Nightwalker,

Was that you that walked in just before dark and set up in the Lunar Solo?

Nightwalker
07-03-2006, 19:36
Nightwalker,

Was that you that walked in just before dark and set up in the Lunar Solo?
Yup. Was that you with the longish hair? Camping in the woods?

That was an extremely excellent evening!

Skidsteer
07-03-2006, 20:20
Yup. Was that you with the longish hair? Camping in the woods?

That was an extremely excellent evening!

Yup. That was me. We're really gonna have to come up with some secret signs for White Blazers or somethin'. :D

Nightwalker
07-03-2006, 20:27
Yup. That was me. We're really gonna have to come up with some secret signs for White Blazers or somethin'. :D
Well let me tell you something, Skids. You're one of the nicest folks that I've met out there.

P.S. Love the moustache. :)