PDA

View Full Version : Male/Female on Profile?

Just Jeff
07-02-2006, 22:23
With trailnames and all, sometimes it's hard to tell if you're talking to a girl or a guy. How about putting a "Gender:" line in the little profile that shows up on each post? That would help give some context to some of the posts, and obviously people could choose to not answer if they're worried about privacy (or if they're just not sure).

One vote yes. Anyone else? Thoughts? Bueller?

Amigi'sLastStand
07-03-2006, 00:58
You trying to hit on me?

bfitz
07-03-2006, 02:03
I think it's a great idea. It'd sure save me a lot of time prospecting......;)

Just Jeff
07-03-2006, 03:05
Amigi, I know you like sliding down mountains on your ass and all, but don't go all brokeback on me. Besides, if I were hitting on you, you'd know it... :eek:

Amigi'sLastStand
07-03-2006, 03:07
Lol! Rofl!!!

TOW
07-03-2006, 08:12
Amigi, I know you like sliding down mountains on your ass and all, but don't go all brokeback on me. Besides, if I were hitting on you, you'd know it... :eek:you shouldn't threaten amigi with a good time.....

Sly
07-03-2006, 08:19
M= Male
F= Female

MF= Men in skirts!

Amigi'sLastStand
07-03-2006, 08:32
you shouldn't threaten amigi with a good time.....
Well, I been hetero all my life, but once, my finger poked through the tp.... does this mean I'm bisexual? I just couldn't where a hiking skirt.

hikerjohnd
07-03-2006, 08:47
Well, I been hetero all my life, but once, my finger poked through the tp.... does this mean I'm bisexual?

Thanks for the laugh!! :D:D:D

What difference does it make? Do you treat the opposite sex differently? The anonimity offered online allows us to shed preconceived notions about gender inequality and have open, honest discussions.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-03-2006, 09:05
Do you treat the opposite sex differently?
In short, yes, I do, heheheh:D ;)

Ewker
07-03-2006, 09:38
M= Male
F= Female

MF= Men in skirts!

wouldn't Men in Skirts=MIS :eek:

jlb2012
07-03-2006, 09:43
Men In Skirts Skipping - MISS Yellowblazers

map man
07-03-2006, 09:43
To get back on subject, I don't think the gender ID is a great idea. In the internet world women posters are often subjected to really nasty comments that men are not. As an example, when I was thinking of getting a new car I lurked at a forum for motor vehicle enthusiasts and the women who offered opinions about just about anything dealing with this subject were often degraded and ridiculed in really personal terms by others (presumably men) at the forum. I've never seen anything that bad here at WhiteBlaze, but it only takes a couple of idiots to poison the environment for a while in the forums. In theory, people could choose to opt out of revealing gender, but at some forums I've seen people who choose not to reveal gender are just assumed to be female and get the degrading comments anyway.

MOWGLI
07-03-2006, 09:47
To get back on subject, I don't think the gender ID is a great idea.

Ditto. Especially considering some of the moronic comments on this thread.

SGT Rock
07-03-2006, 09:49
Well I fgure if someone is worrying about you mis-identifying them, they will either pick a picture that identifies gender or add something to their title, or add something to their signature. I've miss IDed a couple of people, but you get over it.

On the other hand, I don't think putting genders on your stats will change the way some folks act on-line either way.

hikerjohnd
07-03-2006, 09:51
On the other hand, I don't think putting genders on your stats will change the way some folks act on-line either way.

Perhaps not change the way they act overall, but anonimity offers a degree of protection that will be lost if gender is made public.

Alligator
07-03-2006, 10:04
It's unnecessary.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-03-2006, 10:04
Ditto. Especially considering some of the moronic comments on this thread.
I assume this was directed at me and Jeff. Lighten up.:cool: What, you cant stand to see to conservative straight guys have a brokeback moment with each other? ( I'm LMAO. ) :welcome

But yes, I agree also with the sarge. If ppl want to leave their gender at the door, they have that right. I've misidentified one or two ladies here and they set me, ah, straight.:D Also, please change my screen name to Pat.:rolleyes:

Just Jeff
07-03-2006, 11:15
In short, yes, I do, heheheh:D ;)

In short. That's funny. (Another moronic comment, just for Mowgli :p )

If y'all don't think the profile addition is necessary, that's fine by me. Just asking the question.

T-Dubs
07-03-2006, 14:21
....that would help give some context to some of the posts

With the 'Female Forum' as an option I'm not sure the gender information is necessary. What I look for first is the age of the poster. That should be mandatory information at log-in. :) This gives me a better sense of how the information posted will affect my hike/comfort level.

Tom @ 53

Ridge Rat
07-03-2006, 15:19
M= Male
F= Female

MF= Men in skirts!

I swear to god it's a kilt... Stop calling it a miniskirt for gods sake

Amigi'sLastStand
07-03-2006, 17:52
I swear to god it's a kilt... Stop calling it a miniskirt for gods sake
Whatever makes you feel better.:D

StarLyte
07-03-2006, 20:40
With trailnames and all, sometimes it's hard to tell if you're talking to a girl or a guy. How about putting a "Gender:" line in the little profile that shows up on each post? That would help give some context to some of the posts, and obviously people could choose to not answer if they're worried about privacy (or if they're just not sure).

One vote yes. Anyone else? Thoughts? Bueller?

ha ha

I agree !!

Cuffs
07-03-2006, 20:47
Just my .02...

I previously had a photo of myself listed with my profile, but it has since been removed. I had to. I was getting emails from "members" that had little or nothing to do with hiking or had a whole lot to do with looking for a "hiking buddy." (which I really doubt is what they were looking for...)

I have to agree with the above post, I too look for the posters' age, as it gives me a better idea about their hiking (& life) experience, and ability.

Nokia
07-03-2006, 23:51
Is it too hard to just click on there user name and see there real name? Seems like it would fix any "confusion"

Cookerhiker
07-04-2006, 07:23
Just my .02...

I previously had a photo of myself listed with my profile, but it has since been removed. I had to. I was getting emails from "members" that had little or nothing to do with hiking or had a whole lot to do with looking for a "hiking buddy." (which I really doubt is what they were looking for...)

I have to agree with the above post, I too look for the posters' age, as it gives me a better idea about their hiking (& life) experience, and ability.

Sorry about your experience. Perhaps that indicates that gender should not be displayed so that women (or men for that matter) with non-gender-specific trail names who wish to maintain privacy can keep their anonymity.

Someone mentioned the first name as a giveaway but members don't have to use their real first name.

Nightwalker
07-04-2006, 09:08
What difference does it make? Do you treat the opposite sex differently? The anonimity offered online allows us to shed preconceived notions about gender inequality and have open, honest discussions.
I met Harley Hog Pit this Spring in GA. I was pretty well shocked that she was a she. I guess from the name I expected a ponytailed, tattooed ex-biker.

:)

StarLyte
07-04-2006, 09:17
I met Harley Hog Pit this Spring in GA. I was pretty well shocked that she was a she. I guess from the name I expected a ponytailed, tattooed ex-biker.

:)

ha ha ha Yes she came to the PA Ruck in January.
I was waiting for someone to post a message like this.
Hello Harley Hogpit!

Sly
07-04-2006, 09:21
Correction

M= Male
F= Female
MIK= Men in Kilts! :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
07-04-2006, 09:30
How do we identify men who carry guns on the AT? Can we have a little icon of a cat? ;)

StarLyte
07-04-2006, 09:37
Correction

M= Male
F= Female
MIK= Men in Kilts! :rolleyes:

Sly I bet you would look good in a kilt.

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2006, 13:22
I'd vote to leave things the way they are.

People's posts should be judged by the merit of their content, period. I can't imagine that anyone's plumbing makes much of a difference.

Plus, it's pretty funny when a contributor, either new or long-time, is mistaken for something that they're not.

Instead of worrying about whther one is addressing a man or a woman here at Whiteblaze, people would do better to treat everyone equally, to treat them as they'd wish to be treated themselves, to be responsible for what they've written, to say nothing on-line that they wouldn't say to somebody in person.

WB seems to be operating just fine at present. Constant attempts to re-tune something that's already running right isn't necessarily a positive thing.

Just Jeff
07-04-2006, 16:09
Who said anything about treating anyone unequally or judging posts by anything other than merit? I said it would help give context - and it would. Whether it's wanted/needed or not was the question. Looks like most people think it's not - no big deal.