PDA

View Full Version : HH Asym Expedition netting

TN_Hiker
07-02-2006, 22:56
I've used my HH for 6 nights total. After the first night I noticed a small tear about 3 inches in the netting by the hem were it mets the solid "bottom". It appeared that it was a missed stitch or the stitching was too close to the edge of the netting. No biggie I stitched it back and it has held ever since. After a recent 5 day trip I've noticed several tears along the same hem varying about a inch to 3 inches in several places. Now I could understand if I was sleeping or lying on the netting, but this has not been the case. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions? I'm beginning to wonder if my tent wasn't a better option. After 6 nights and already experiencing gear failure doesn't give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

papa john
07-02-2006, 23:02
Send it back, they will repair it for you. Be sure to contact them first.

DGrav
07-02-2006, 23:03
I'm shocked. Her first night in a HH my wife some how managed to flip over and spend half the night laying on the netting. Not one sign of wear as a result. I have heard similar stories with the same result.

Have you contacted Hennessy? I have heard that they really stand behind there product and will go to great lengths to make things right.

Just Jeff
07-03-2006, 03:22
I haven't heard of HH being that poorly made...I'd contact them and have it repaired/replaced. I've had my HH for about 2 years and it barely shows any wear...certainly nothing like you're describing.

jlb2012
07-03-2006, 07:15
I've had the issue with the netting separating from the bottom on two out of two HH so far - I don't worry about it and just stitch it up by hand. Personally I think its a quality problem where the seam was sewn too close to the edge of the netting. The separations totaled about 8 or 10 inches in several smaller sections for both hammocks.

TN_Hiker
07-03-2006, 14:12
HOI..........my thought is the seam is too close the edge of the netting as well, which certainly seems like a quality issue. Any other piece of gear I would demanding a refund. However, I definitely have seen the light when it comes to hammocking and do not want to go back...lol. On my recent trip everybody else was complaining how hot and muggy the nights had been. I just smiled and replied that I woke up cold and had to pull my quilt in tight before falling back to sleep. I have emailed HH and currently waiting on a reply. I will keep you posted.......

SGT Rock
07-03-2006, 14:15
I put my hand through the net on one once, but I had an excuse. I sewed it up and still use it - I figure it is a scar and a war wound, something that adds character.

jlb2012
07-03-2006, 15:14
another hiker that I know of (toph from TT IIRC) also had a problem with the netting coming loose at the seam - in his case as I recall it was about a 10 inch section. Unfortunately because he bought the hammock through Ebay he did not get a positive response from HH for a free repair - I don't know what he ultimately did with the hammock but I did tell him how I repaired mine.

TN_Hiker
07-06-2006, 15:26
Thanks for everyone's responses. I sent an email to HH explaining my issue and inquiring about how to best repair it. They indicated this should have not have happened, they would exchange it and sent me a return authorization. They even stated if I sent them the delivery confirmation number they would ship me a new one without waiting on reciept of the defective hammock. Then the very next day they sent me another email making sure I got the previous day's email w/ the return authorization. I should also mention this was an irregular that I bought off their website. They knew it was an irregular and said it didn't matter they will warranty their products for a full year. I also learned the only thing that made it an irregular was some of the stitching was done w/ the wrong color thread. Just another happy story about Tom's fantastic customer service that I wanted to share.

neo
07-06-2006, 19:23
I've used my HH for 6 nights total. After the first night I noticed a small tear about 3 inches in the netting by the hem were it mets the solid "bottom". It appeared that it was a missed stitch or the stitching was too close to the edge of the netting. No biggie I stitched it back and it has held ever since. After a recent 5 day trip I've noticed several tears along the same hem varying about a inch to 3 inches in several places. Now I could understand if I was sleeping or lying on the netting, but this has not been the case. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions? I'm beginning to wonder if my tent wasn't a better option. After 6 nights and already experiencing gear failure doesn't give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

i have an earlier non asym ultralight backpacker i have used over 4 years now no problems:cool: neo