PDA

View Full Version : Maine July Trail Conditions

Moxie00
07-04-2006, 08:04
Just back from a few days on the trail in Maine. The trail is muddy but I am sure not as bad as southern New England and middle Atlantic states. There is plenty of a water and even streams often dry by mid July are running. I even found some flowing water above the timberline so drinking water is not a problem. The black flies are history for this year and there aes very few mosquitoes. Tics are everywhere so use deet or any other good protector. Check yourself for tics every chance you get. Deer flies are out but few. I would say conditions are excellent and the weather seem to be better than June when we had some rain on 20 out of the 30 days. Great time to hike in Maine.

rambunny
07-04-2006, 09:25
The blow downs have been adressed for the most part too!

Just a Hiker
07-04-2006, 09:43
I am a SOBO thru-hiker and I am in New Hampshire taking a zero for the 4th of July. Maine is pretty wet this year, but it is getting better all the time. There weren't many blow downs, but the fords are pretty fierce this year........the Long Pond Ford is pretty hairy but I am sure the streams are going down each day.

Mr. Clean
07-04-2006, 11:01
I just took a quick stroll up to Piazza Rock and lean-to and found lots of mud, but nothing too deep. No mosquitos at all until I stopped to read the register, and was then attacked. Wouldn't have wanted to stay in that lean-to. Gave a thru named "Ron" a ride to Rangeley afterwards.
More rain forecast for tonight....poor bastards out thru-hiking this year.:(

WalkinHome
07-04-2006, 14:57
Hi Moxie,

Just back from Nahmakanta and there were plenty of bugs out there. Janice even put on her head net on top of Nesuntabunt until we got moving again. Had a sunny still day yesterday while doing a part of the Turtle Ridge Trail in the area and it was ferocious-headnet on all the time. Too much water I guess. Nice canoeing on Wadleigh Pond though.

Footslogger
07-04-2006, 20:02
Just got into Andover from Rangeley. Trail is MUDDY but hey ...you just DEAL with it ! Came over Big Blue today and then the Kamikazee drop to South Arm Road. Great to have my feet back in the heels of my shoes again.

Re-living the Dream ...

'Slogger

Marta
07-04-2006, 20:06
Hi, guys! I'm in Millnocket. My husband and I "hiked" up and down Katahdin yesterday. Not much mud on that mountain...

Starting south tomorrow.

Cheers to all!

Marta

Footslogger
07-05-2006, 17:16
Maine July trail conditions update ...7/5. Last 4 days have been rain free and things are starting to dry up a bit.

Slacked East B Hill to South Arm Rd today. Conditions are nothing like South Arm Rd to Rt 17. Some mud but dry around the edges of the trail and easy to sidestep. Moody Mountain is still Moody Mountain though. The south approach to Moody never seems to get any less steep ...especially after the drop into Sawyer Notch. Slow go but they've added a lot of R-bar hand holds.

Having a ball re-living the dream.

Main Rocks !!

'Slogger