PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a Hike?

EZ4300
07-04-2006, 11:17
Greetings and Happy 4th of July everyone!!

I'm just a poor college kid with an unpaid internship this summer:( . But I still plan on hiking in 2007. I was hoping to save around 3000-4000 for the hike. This will include money to pay bills that i cant avoid (car insurance, etc...around 1000)

Is this a good amount? Any tricks and tips that keep the cost low (other than not staying in too many hostels)? Any other advice that you guys have to keep the cost down, I would love to hear them.

Thanks everyone!!

(i just always wanted to use this...:banana )

hammock engineer
07-04-2006, 12:13
I am in a similar situation for this summer. I found a waitering job, if you need a PT job this is the way to go. I was able to save up 4K for the hike and 3K for the billls, I have a couple more bills that I can't get out of.

Do some searches there is a lot of threads on this.

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2006, 12:32
If you've got bills to pay before or after you leave, you better plan on saving a bit more. Most folks speand at least 3,000 dollars, with $3500-5000 being about right for most folks. It is, of course, possible to spend less, especially by limiting town stops, motel and restaurant trips, etc.

There are several threads here at Whiteblaze on trip expenses, how to save money, etc. Also, in the "Articles" section of WB, there's an excelllent piece by Weathercarrot on hiking on a budget.

Other advice: Cut down on your expenses NOW and start a separate bank account just for your trip, and limit that account to DEPOSITS only. You'l be amazed by how much you can save by limiting your spending on such things as magazines, newspapers, coffeeshops, fast food, lottery tickets, etc. Simply stop buying frivoulous things or things you don't really need, such as more clothes, CD's, gadgets, etc. Use your car only when necessary. Rent movies instead of going to the theater. Bring lunch to work instead of eating out, and so on.

Saving just a few dollars a day translates to hundreds and hundreds of dollars over the year before your departure, and will make the difference between starting your trip with two grand, or having the extra money that will make a tremendous difference once you're out there. Good luck!

frieden
07-05-2006, 09:56
I've found that some counties have a lot of free services available. For example, our county library system carries movies (even as soon as they come out), and the newest books. The card is free. You can reserve the materials online, they call you when it's in, and you go pick it up. Most movies can be out for 7 days, and you can renew them online too. It takes some digging, but try to find as many free services from your county and university first.

Sell everything you can. Storage is extremely expensive. I've been sleeping on the floor, with my bag and pad for months, and my back has never felt better.

Bike to work, and carry talc powder and clean clothes, so you don't stink as bad when you get there. This increases your fitness and savings account.

Remove "just" from your vocabulary - "It's just 5 bucks" or "It's just this once". You'll wish you had that extra 5 bucks for food at a trail town, versus the 5 bucks you just put into your well-fed tummy from McDonalds 2 minutes from your house and cushy bed.

weary
07-05-2006, 11:35
I remain convinced that the best way to save money on a thru hike is to avoid even supermarket convenience foods. Lipton Dinners and the like cost $4 plus or minus a pound.

Generic rice and pasta with the identical nutritional value cost two thirds less. The same is true of instant oatmeal, compared with the generic quick cooking variety.

Generics require a bit of thought and practice -- and the addition of salt, pepper, sugar and an occasional bouillon cube. My advice is to practice at home devising recipes you like -- and incidentally saving money both before and during your hike.

My basic long distance trail meal is a mixture of instant brown rice and pasta (both cook in 10 minutes) flavored with salt, pepper, dried basil and bouillon.

Weary

The Solemates
07-05-2006, 11:49
Greetings and Happy 4th of July everyone!!

I'm just a poor college kid with an unpaid internship this summer:( . But I still plan on hiking in 2007. I was hoping to save around 3000-4000 for the hike. This will include money to pay bills that i cant avoid (car insurance, etc...around 1000)

Is this a good amount? Any tricks and tips that keep the cost low (other than not staying in too many hostels)? Any other advice that you guys have to keep the cost down, I would love to hear them.

Thanks everyone!!

(i just always wanted to use this...:banana )

I would tend more towards the 4K side, especially if you have bills to pay ,etc. try to cancel all possible bills first, and if possible, cancel car insurance (you will have to research this for your state, but we were able to do it on our thruhike). dont forget about health insurance too.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2006, 11:50
Weary is correct in saying that that making one's own meals can save a lot of money, but I'm not sure I'd agree that the best way to save money on a thru-hike is to avoid supermarket convenience foods.

The best way to save money on a thru-hike is to avoid towns and to limit the frequency of one's town layovers. Sharply limiting how many times you go in to town, and limiting how much time you spend there once you've arrived, is the best way to save money.

It's pretty hard to spend money when you're actually in the woods or mountains, andhave fewer temptations.

Instead of avoiding supermarkets, one would probably do better to avoid or limit the ammount of time you spend in the towns whey they are located.

hammock engineer
07-05-2006, 14:23
Something I just remembered that I plan on doing that was suggested by someone else on WB on another thread, was to set up a weekly budget. If I have 4K to spend. It is easy to spend more early on, then hurt for money later on. But if I set a budget of $125 a week (what I plan on spending) and keep to it, it will be easier to keep track of the total picture of my money. If I am under one week, I can spend more another week or vise versa.

Doctari
07-06-2006, 10:43
In addition to the above suggestions: Shop BigLots*, make your own gear, make gear "DO", Walk on those short errands instead of ride/drive, Check the "Seconds" bin at your outfiter or ask if they have any: returns, seconds, damaged goods, etc.

Lipton Noodles & sauce @ Kroger"s: $1.29 @ BigLots they were $0.99. "Space Blankets @ DIck's $2.49, same brand at BigLots $1.10 (I bought 4 :p )

Just a thought.

Doctari.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-06-2006, 11:32
I believe that practicing the principles described below will go a lone way toward cutting your expenses for gear and food.

Baltimore Jack (limit buying services, food & alcohol in towns),
Weary (avoid expensive prepacaged dinners bu making your own mixtures)
Doctori (make gear, buy gear and food at job lot stores or buy gear returns, seconds, etc.)Most insurance companies have a way to suspend coverage for a period of time for things like military deployments and extended travel. Check with your company. If they don't have any provision for this, you might want to switch to a company that does.

Re: Weary's suggestion - I've found that instant rice, plain noodles / pasta and a 'spice bag' works for me. My 'spice bag' has my eight favorite spices - chicken bullion powder, beef bullion powder, pepper, seasoned salt, Italian spice (mixed basil, orangano and thyme), garlic powder, Tex-Mex spice (cumin, chili powder, dried onion flakes) - each is packaged at home into 2" x 2" baggies. I also carry a quart size ziplock with powdered milk.

Ridge
07-06-2006, 20:15
Earl Shaffer made the trip on mostly what the army let him take home back in the late 40's. So, its really not the gear, its the will. I used the same gear I'd been using for years, it was broken in and I knew it worked.

I probably spent less money on food and supplies and everything else than I would have if I where at home. But, if you hit every restaurant and motel along the trail you'll spend a ton, much more than if you where at home.

Skidsteer
07-06-2006, 20:26
Any tricks and tips that keep the cost low (other than not staying in too many hostels)? Any other advice that you guys have to keep the cost down, I would love to hear them.

Here are two good threads to get you started. :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15329

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5594&highlight=dirtbagging