PDA

View Full Version : Foods you carry

dloome
07-04-2006, 21:13
Seeing as how food can be 50% or more of our pack weights (at least it is with me) I think taking a close look at how much and what kind of foods we carry is well worth the time. Maybe even more so than drilling holes in the remaining half of my toothbrush. :-?

So, ultralight folks, what foods do you carry on the trail? What's tasty and light? Any tips on getting the most out of your food? Do you eat big meals or frequent snacks? etc.

Here is a typical 4 day supply of food for me.

16 oz. Gatorade powder
One 16 oz. jar PB
Two 13 oz. jars Nutella
16 Clif/similar energy bars
12 Snickers bars
18 Quaker "Oatmeal To Go" bars- or a lesser amount of Pemmican bars if I have them.
4 3 oz. tuna packs
Maybe a few ounces of mixed nuts

=18,000+ calories (usually burn about 4,500 per day)

I only eat 3-5 energy bars per day because the nutrition is adequate, and then I can use a cheaper alternative like oatmeal bars as my main carb source. Aside from Snickers I try to carry things with a pretty low GI. (No Poptarts, Little Debbies, etc.) I don't have any dedicated breakfast, lunch or dinner items although I usually eat tuna and PB for dinner for the protein. I eat just enough at night to keep me from waking up hungry and have the most food in the morning so I can burn all those delicious calories while I walk instead of sit in my sleeping bag. I kind of do the "caloric drip" thing- Sipping 1/2 strength Gatorade throughout the day with a snack every 1-2 hours.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-04-2006, 21:37
Me, I like food.

5 days

5 Lipton Noodle meals
PB and Honey Sqeezers with quesadilla flats
10 bags of flavored oatmeal
Bag of gorp w/ mixed nuts
Hot cocoa
Dried fruit and dried vegatable soup I will mix and eat cold if needed
Tang
And the best of all Astronauts Dried Ice Cream. Mm-mm
I mix this up every stop, Spam, tuna, chicken, rice. I just have to enjow what I eat. I cant do the power bar thing.
I always analyze my diet to see what I am missing and supplement that with a vitamin if I have to, or try to load up at town stops.

BLeach, have you checked your calcium, vit D and E intake. I am not sure what is in your energy bars, but these are the things I have the hardest time with.

map man
07-05-2006, 00:13
It looks like you are eating all of your food cold, which is also what I do. All of those bars add up to a lot of packaging weight. Those cheaper bars that you are consuming for the carbohydrates -- you could achieve the same thing with a powdered complex carbohydrate product called maltodextrin (derived from corn) which you mix with water (just like your powdered gatorade). I find that with maltodextrin I get a nice steady carbohydrate burn throughout the day without energy peaks or troughs. Also, you are already eating mixed nuts -- you can increase your consumption of those -- they have very low moisture content and very high fat content (but no trans fats and very little saturated fats) so you get a lot of calories for little weight.

Just Jeff
07-05-2006, 02:43
Breakfast - every now and then I'll make oatmeal or grits, but it's usually just granola bars or energy bars with some dried fruit and nuts

No cook lunches - PB on bagels, sausage and cheese on bagels, some kind of tortilla wrap, etc. I like to have fresh fruit at lunch, too - oranges rock, apples are good if it's not too hot.

Dinner - Dried carb meals (Ramen, Lipton, Stove Top, etc) supplemented with meat pouches (usually chicken or tuna) for dinners. I'll bring one meat pouch for every 2-3 days - I found that eating them every night was too much for me and I always ended up bringing some home. That might change on a thru, though.

And snacks all day long - lots of granola bars and a few energy bars, some Snickers, trail mix, dried fruit, Jerky and Slim Jims, etc. I rarely use drink powders except for tea at dinner unless it's really hot out - I get enough electrolytes and stuff from the snacks, I guess.

I don't like skimping on food just to cut weight. Having fresh fruit is a real pick-me-up, for example - even though it has water weight. I'm just getting into FBC so I should be able to cut some weight and still eat better, though.

River Runner
08-10-2006, 03:23
First, I should mention I am maintaining a low carb diet. It works very well for me, stabilizing my former borderline low blood sugar, and I continue it when I'm hiking, although I do add a few carbs when I'm backpacking, usually at dinner.

I always seem to end up bringing too much food, and bring along some heavier fresh foods like grape tomatoes, baby carrots, and pouch chicken. This is one area I am going to work on lightening up.

Some things I like that are light weight - pre-cooked bacon (remove the outer cardboard box & just bring the sealed plastic pouch). Jimmy Dean maple flavor is delicious and has a light weight plastic vac-pac. I open it one morning, eat half, and eat the second half the next morning - but it can be good at lunch or dinner too. Nuts, of course. Something I recently tried and loved was dried tomatoes. The little grape ones dry well if cut in half. Canned tomatoes can also be dried (drain the juice first), and the flavored ones are good. Evenings I usually eat half a mountain house meal and maybe some freeze-dried or home-dehydrated green beans or a home dehydrated meal like vegetable soup.

I love to take string cheese. It isn't real light weight, but it does have a good weight to calorie ratio. It's a great pick-me-up snack. Also, packaged pepperoni.

I also dehydrate things like spiced up pumpkin puree (sort of like a pumpkin fruit roll-up), hamburger with spaghetti sauce, and we make our own beef jerky.

gumball
08-10-2006, 04:45
I use the freezer bag cooking method, and I do not carry any foil pouches of meat, such as tuna and chicken--all the protein is put in the freezer bag meals for dinners via use of TVP and freeze dried bulk meats, which are very light. I buy the pouches on-line and just put some in whatever meals I'm taking.

My other staples, besides those five meals for a five day hike:
-half sized jar of peanut butter
-five small tortilla wraps
-five clif bars
-five GU's
-10 small snack size candy bars
-15 "powerballs", which are small homemade snacks made of whey protein, chocolate chips, oatmeal and whatever dried fruit I have around--they are the size of mini-muffins and a tasty staple for me to spread peanut butter on during a break.

I eat constantly during the course of the day--otherwise, I run out of gas. I've found the freezer bag meals cut down on my food weight considerably, and I get meals that I enjoy and know exactly what is in them.

SGT Rock
08-10-2006, 05:04
Lets see, 5 days:

Breakfasts:
Bag of fresh ground coffee - about 10 tablespoons full of grounds.
10 packages of grits
10 granola bars or 5 packages of pop-tarts or some combination of that

Snacks:
Around 10 ounces of dried fruit or trail mix
10 candy bars - probably a mix of Snickers, Pay Day, Three Musketeer, etc.
About 10 ounces jerky

Lunches:
About 5 ounces of dehydrated refried beans
10 pack bag of tortillas
A sandwich bag of instant mashed potatoes
5 packages of Raman

Extras:
A sandwich bag of powdered milk
A 1 ounce bottle of Alabama Wildfire hot sauce
A small jar (about a film jar size) of Butter Buds
A 12 ounce bottle of olive oil

Dinners:
A small summer sausage
1 box of Zataran's red beans and rice
1 Lipton dinner - probably Spanish rice or maybe some oriental dinner
2 boxes of instant pudding

Camp beverages:
A 16 ounce bottle of Jim Beam
Probably about 20 tea bags of various flavored teas.

To add to that, I would probably cut back on some of that stuff like a Lipton dinner or something and bring some real food out for day one if I were at the right kind of re-supply point. A fresh steak, omelets, Bratwurst, or even an already fixed meal like a SubWay sandwich are things I have done in the past - mmmmmm.

Footslogger
08-10-2006, 08:28
My food list varies to avoid boredom. One thing I would add to the lists so far is some Stove Top Stuffing mix. Extremely light and compact and makes a great base for chicken chunks. I would also add a packet or two of the Idahoan Powdered Potatos. There are at least 3 flavors, my favorite being the 4 Cheeze one.

'Slogger

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 08:30
Sgt. Rock---you got it !!

scope
08-10-2006, 09:39
Might consider cereal, with powdered milk, especially in hot weather. Sometimes dry food seems too dry to eat, as it does to me after a long day when I'm trying to rehydrate. The powdered milk I purchased at REI was quite tasty and easy to mix. Grape nuts are great, they pack well and don't get crushed.

jlb2012
08-10-2006, 09:50
Scope - look for the powdered whole milk brand name Nido from Nestle - generally found in the hispanic foods section - its a good tasting powdered milk probably cheaper than REI's.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 10:02
Didn't see this yet....I'll add to the list.....Part of a loaf of bread, usually something hard that won't crush, such as sourdough, rye, etc. amd those 69cent packages of meat and resealing package of my favorite cheese (These usually won't go bad because I'm usually at the higher, cooler elevations, but, if I forget to take the leftover cheese out of my backpack, it can look pretty bad after 6 months). That can get pretty dry, so I'll also bring packets of mayo/mustard from Wendy's or Subway. Add a hard crunchy apple and some trail mix and I'm set for the afternoon.

rswanson
08-10-2006, 13:14
Wow, almost no one seems to carry the dehydrated, boil-in-bag backpacker meals. If you haven't tried Mary Jane's Farm organic meals, I highly recommend them: http://http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 13:25
I like Mary Jane!

Ewker
08-10-2006, 13:42
I like Mary Jane!

Gray Blazer, he is talking about the food ;)

SGT Rock
08-10-2006, 21:18
Sgt. Rock---you got it !!

What did I get? :D

saimyoji
08-10-2006, 23:30
Backpacker meals= way to expensive. I've tried a few and they were okay, just not worth it IMO.

Rock: No sushi in that list. What gives? :-?

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 08:38
Backpacker meals= way to expensive. I've tried a few and they were okay, just not worth it IMO.

Rock: No sushi in that list. What gives? :-?

After much playing with it I realized I was never going to be able to make good sushi in my kitchen let alone on the trail. But I did try - a lot!

Naw, I have taken your advice and left good sushi to town visits where it can be fresh. I just had some sushi yesterday at a pretty darn good restaurant here in Maryville. The tofu soup was good too :D

frieden
08-11-2006, 09:08
5 days of food:

Breakfasts:

5 sm. zip top baggies of 1/2 c. oatmeal, dried fruit, tsp. cinnamon, tsp. cane sugar, 1 scp. protein powder (meal replacement, not just WPI).
2 pkts. of grits.

Snacks:
Homemade GORP.
2 Snickers (if cool weather).

Lunches:
Protein meal replacement powder.
Organic drink powder.

Extras:
Salt.
1-2 pkts. of herbs/Mrs. Dash.

Dinners:
Dehydrated veggies and soup.
Powdered egg whites.
Potato flakes.

Camp beverages:
Sm. zip baggie of organic instant coffee.
Few packets of tea (Cold or Throat Coat for cold weather).

Eat like a pig in towns. :D

headchange4u
08-11-2006, 10:08
Anyone know where I can buy the packets of things like peanut butter, honey, hot sause, etc?

Ewker
08-11-2006, 10:11
Anyone know where I can buy the packets of things like peanut butter, honey, hot sause, etc?

great site here

http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx

Footslogger
08-11-2006, 10:16
great site here

http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx
=========================================
Hey Ewker ...thanks for posting that link. Not sure if the shipping costs would negate the lower prices in some case but I saw several products list at prices well below what you pay at WalMart (Example: Planters Peanuts - 1.75oz tube)

'Slogger

jlb2012
08-11-2006, 10:17

linkto online source (http://www.minimus.biz/)

jlb2012
08-11-2006, 10:19
dang Ewker beat me again

Time To Fly 97
08-11-2006, 10:22
[quote=SGT Rock]After much playing with it I realized I was never going to be able to make good sushi in my kitchen let alone on the trail. But I did try - a lot!

Hey Rock,

My wife makes great sushi. She says the trick is to make the rice sticky...which she does with a little vinegar. Once the rice sticks together sushi is easy!!

TTF

Gray Blazer
08-11-2006, 10:36
Whenever you're at Taco Bell, KFC or any Fast Food (hopefully making a purchase) ask for a few extra packets of mustard, honey, mayo, hot sauce, etc. and save them for your trip. I don't want to encourage taking advantage of this. If you get a few at a time, it shouldn't hurt.

headchange4u
08-11-2006, 10:45
Thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for. They have a lot of stuff I had never thought about being in packets but would be great to add some flavor on the trail: A-1 steak sauce, BBQ sauce, Jalapeno Cheese Sauce, Ortega Thick & Smooth Taco Sauce, (I could go on for days).

headchange4u
08-11-2006, 10:48
Whenever you're at Taco Bell, KFC or any Fast Food (hopefully making a purchase) ask for a few extra packets of mustard, honey, mayo, hot sauce, etc. and save them for your trip. I don't want to encourage taking advantage of this. If you get a few at a time, it shouldn't hurt.

I am constantly grabbing extra packets of stuff when I go out and eat. Here at work there is a huge drawer in the break room that was filled with salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup, soy sauce,etc. I am constantly taking stuff from there, but there are always some items like hot sauce or other odd condiments that they never seem to have enough of.

Ewker
08-11-2006, 10:57
I wonder how long those little packets are good?

Footslogger
08-11-2006, 11:19
I wonder how long those little packets are good?
==================================
I was kinda wonderin the same thing. Would like to go ahead and just order up a decent quantity of the things I know I use on a regular basis but don't want to take a chance on them going bad sitting on the shelf. If this stuff does have a "sell by" or "best used by" date you know that they're most likely gonna send you the oldest stock.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 12:07
Hey Rock,

My wife makes great sushi. She says the trick is to make the rice sticky...which she does with a little vinegar. Once the rice sticks together sushi is easy!!

TTF

I did the whole vinegar thing too. I had the real sho' nuff sushi rice, seaweed, vinegar, wasabi, etc. But I still can't do it right. Ask me to smoke a pork loin I am all over that, but sushi is beyond me.

blackbishop351
08-11-2006, 12:20
I did the whole vinegar thing too. I had the real sho' nuff sushi rice, seaweed, vinegar, wasabi, etc. But I still can't do it right. Ask me to smoke a pork loin I am all over that, but sushi is beyond me.

Wow....Something Sarge CAN'T DO????

Hell...my WIFE makes good sushi, and she has trouble with Mac n Cheese out of a box....:D

Just messin with ya, man!

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 12:59
No problem. I heard somewhere a fool tries to do things he can't while a wise man knows his limitations.

I can't make sushi.

My world will not end because of that :D

Time To Fly 97
08-11-2006, 13:45
I'll take pork loin over sushi anyday! : )

TTF

saimyoji
08-11-2006, 13:51
No biggie in not being able to make sushi. No offense to those of you who say your wives make good sushi, but until you've had it prepared by a master chef, you don't know what good sushi is. Having said that...whatever tastes good to ya is good enough, right? ;)

I would say the same thing for any type of food. I used to love the tacos my mother made when I was a kid. Years later I spent some time in Mexico and had the opportunity to eat "tacos" as defined by different people in different parts of the country. All were delicious. To come back home to my mother's tacos, all I could say was: "As good as these are, its different from those in ____."

Tacos. Now thats a great camo food. Especially if you are sleeping in the shelter/sharing a tent. :eek::D

Time To Fly 97
08-11-2006, 14:18
I have enjoyed some pretty outstanding sushi Saimayogi, but if you feel that I could be enlightened, I welcome the opportunity. I see from your pics that you do some hiking on Mt. Minsi - let's get together for hiking and sushi sometime.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Deerleg
08-11-2006, 14:35
Looks like some good lists, … 4 days:
10oz 10 grain
3 tuna/chicken 3oz vac pac
3 dried packs of soup mix/seasoning
3 oz olive oil
10 oz” nest” pasta
10 oz dried fruit
8 oz whole wheat wraps
6 oz peanuts butter
8oz cashews
A few granola bars
For what it’s worth, as section hikers, we can be a little more flexible on the calorie intake than someone who is out for extended periods. Assuming a diet is balanced before the start of a hike, it’s likely it will take 2-3 weeks before the body starts to complain about what its not getting. I used to make sure I got those calories every day, but soon realized, that for a 3-6 day trip it did’nt matter, as long as I got sufficient rest and plenty of fluids, I could actually crank out more miles on day 4 or 5 on a limited diet so now I take more variety of what I like. Just my 2 cents on my own adventures.

cutman11
08-12-2006, 00:43
One item I havent seen: Lance Cracker packets. Peanutbutter on wheat, cheese on wheat, vanilla cookies, etc. each is 200-240 cal. 2 in my pack and 2 in my pants pocket for each day hiking. easy to eat while hiking. eat one each 2hrs, 9am-3pm. Have breakfast bar or pop tart, dried fruit while preparing dinner of ramen with protein mixed in, candy bar and cookies at bedtime to get thru the night. 1.5 lb/day, 2500cal

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 01:07
I have enjoyed some pretty outstanding sushi Saimayogi, but if you feel that I could be enlightened, I welcome the opportunity. I see from your pics that you do some hiking on Mt. Minsi - let's get together for hiking and sushi sometime.

Happy hiking!

TTF

I hope it didn't come off that I consider myself a sushi master. Quite the contrary. But comparing what sushi you can find in most places here in the US as compared to what you can find in Japan (where I used to live; those of you who have not been ignoring me will know) sushi here sucks, for the most part.

Decent sushi can be made at home, but without the fresh seafood forget it, no matter what you do.

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 01:15
I hope it didn't come off that I consider myself a sushi master. Quite the contrary. But comparing what sushi you can find in most places here in the US as compared to what you can find in Japan (where I used to live; those of you who have not been ignoring me will know) sushi here sucks, for the most part.

Decent sushi can be made at home, but without the fresh seafood forget it, no matter what you do.

What I really meant to say here is that once you've had sushi made by a trained sushi master chef (as I'm sure any food prepared by any trained master chef compares) using the proper ingredients and the proprietary 'sushi environment' you'll realise that others do not measure up.

Of course I've opened myself up to criticism here...but all I really meant to say was: If you want great sushi, you need go to the right place. Making it at home can be delicious. But having it prepared by a master will blow you away. Unless you detest raw fish, in that case, there's a MacDonald's across the street. :D

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 04:35

I tend to agree here. I've tried some bad tasting sushi in the US, but have found a couple of good places over the years. One good one here in Maryville where I assume they put some effort into the sushi since there is a population of Japanese executives for Denso, a Japanese manufacturing company. Another was a Japanese restaurant in Hattiesburg Mississippi across from the football stadium. These places make fresh sushi to order. Other places I have tried it do things like put it on a buffet line where it sits around until someone eats it. Yuck :p

I reckon if you ever come this way Saimyoji I'll have to take you to our local Japanese restaurant and buy you some sushi so you can tell me how it stacks up against the real deal back in Japan. ;)

blackbishop351
08-12-2006, 06:57
I've never been to Japan, so I obviously don't know what the 'real' stuff is. But I've eaten in some VERY Japanese-run establishments over the years. I even had blowfish in a spot in California once.

The place that stands out in memory, though, is a little tiny sushi bar in New Orleans (who knows if it's still there or not) that my wife and I frequented while on our honeymoon. Mmmm. Good memories.....good sushi tends to make my wife very....friendly? :D

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 08:46
Once again, if you like it, thats what counts, whatever someone elses opinion. Right?

neptunebeach
08-13-2006, 16:14
Try http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx Not necessarily the cheapest way, but a great selection.

Rick

saimyoji
08-13-2006, 16:32
I've never been to Japan, so I obviously don't know what the 'real' stuff is. But I've eaten in some VERY Japanese-run establishments over the years. I even had blowfish in a spot in California once.

The place that stands out in memory, though, is a little tiny sushi bar in New Orleans (who knows if it's still there or not) that my wife and I frequented while on our honeymoon. Mmmm. Good memories.....good sushi tends to make my wife very....friendly? :D

Yes, I agree there are some places you can get GREAT sushi, though they are rare. Ever walk into a "Japanese" restaurant only to find that the food tastes just like the AYCE Chinese buffet? This is what I'm talking about.

I know I sound like a sushi nazi now, but all I really wanted to say is that authentic sushi is hard to find here in the US. But it can be found.

Itadakimasu! :D

frequency
08-13-2006, 17:22
Tritely, I would add - GORP - as a principle staple.

I take a load subdivided into daily ration ziploc bags and find it is all-purpose-ready for my feed breaks. If you have a Fresh Market nearby, you can assemble gorp right in the store from the bulk bins for near-next-to-nothing. I prefer Peanuts-salted + Peanuts-unsalted + Cashews-salted + dried cranberries + dried pineapple + m&ms ... A robust handful of salt and sweet at zero-dark-thirty - you can also add some freeze-dried coffee (if you don't have the fire to boil water) and get your breakfast on without violating light discipline ... for a simple overnight, i take ramen to punctuate both ends of the day + gorp for all occasions in between.

I initially believe REI's line about a different freeze-dried meal for each time of day until I observed a Southbounder in VA who ate Ramen + Captain Crunch + Peanut Butter...it was simple and quick.

I confirmed this with a historical source - the old book HARD TACK AND COFFEE which is an factual recounting of what Civil War Soldiers ate which was pretty dang simple - parched corn (grits), hardtack (imagine a MRE Cracker that is about 1" thick and stale and hard as a shingle), coffee, and some kind of meat (pork for my Great-Great-Grandfathers (occasionally) and beef for our Northern neighbors). I think the North also had dessicated vegetables, tins of cream and other stuff - but the accounts support that it was simple and kept there from being 100% starvation and they were carrying a lot of gear miles and miles per day in really crappy footgear and equipment (hiking in wool 24/7/365 - nice)...

Smile
08-13-2006, 18:48
The Sushi/Thai in Hiawasee was terrific!

Raisins and nuts are a good combo - definately gorp too as a principle stape, easy to get to, and you can just pour out of the bag into your mouth, or leave a trail behind you for your friends!

(Disclaimer: I do not condone dropping gorp, but had a hiker in front of us who was very slack about her gorp eating habits, and we could tell she was ahead by the red m&m's that would regularly lead to her ;-)

alalskaman
08-18-2006, 19:36
mine is so idiosyncratic I almost hesitate to post...but here goes. Pemmican. Made according to Ray Audettes recipe, dried pounded beef, and suet. That's probably 95% of my calories. And home dried vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. Just because I like them, there's not actually many calories in them, is there. I'm not a crank or a survivalist, I just have NO sugar metabolism. (I'm a diabetic, obviously) So if I eat a snickers bar or a cup of rice, instead of getting a quick energy hit to get me down the trail, my blood sugars will go up to 400 and I'll get sleepy and sluggish. So, whether at home or on the trail, my diet is about 75-80% calories from fat, about 15% from protein, and the rest from slow-acting fiberous veggies. I'm sure the obvious answer is "take insulin, then you can eat like everyone else." but I don't like it. Estimating the dose, sometimes hitting it wrong, so you go up to the range where you're spilling sugar in your urine and dehydrating yourself, or even worse, going way low and having the shakes and sweats and feeling like fainting. Well, I guess I AM a crank. But maybe not the only one here!!

Johnny Swank
10-19-2006, 12:27
When out for a month, my food intake is all over the place. I eat like hell, and resupply from gas stations all too often. I'm so completely burned out on all the typical trail stuff that I just don't care anymore.

That said - I ate almost nothing but PBJ's and Frito lays for a couple of weeks during my thru-hike. Fat, carbs, and salt - all the good things a thru-hiker needs!

speyguy
11-02-2006, 19:23
Besides some of the norms I've been reading I like dried tortellini or ravioli with dried pesto sauce, a little olive oil and lots of parmesan cheese for dinner. If I'm solo I can get 2 meals out of one package. After a short boil and some time in the pot cozy it doesn't require that much extra fuel. I always bring some dehydrated broccoli (very, very lightweight) and put it in lots of different things. I like feeling like I'm getting some vegetables. On my last solo trip I also took some fresh eggs and poached them with the ramen and thru in some broccoli and jerky for a nice big hearty bowl of soup. All pretty light weight.

speyguy
11-02-2006, 19:29
Ask me to smoke a pork loin I am all over that, but sushi is beyond me.

I never smoked a pork loin. How do you keep the end lit??

DGG
11-02-2006, 23:03
Sgt. Rock,

How do you hydrate the Zatarain's?

Dennis

headchange4u
11-03-2006, 10:18
Anybody ever seen the PB&J Squeezers (http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7483) for sale in stores?

SGT Rock
11-03-2006, 10:21
Sgt. Rock,

How do you hydrate the Zatarain's?

Dennis

I just put them in a pot of water, bring it to a boil, then let it set for about 10-15 minutes in the hot pot with a cozy. Add a little olive oil, Habanero sauce, and some summer sausage.

Ewker
11-03-2006, 10:56
I just put them in a pot of water, bring it to a boil, then let it set for about 10-15 minutes in the hot pot with a cozy. Add a little olive oil, Habanero sauce, and some summer sausage.

I bet that would work doing it the freezer bag cooking way.

Put everything in the freezer bag, add the boiling water, put it in a cozy for 10 minutes and eat

DGG
11-04-2006, 14:26

Thanks. That's my kind of meal -- good and easy.

Dennis