PDA

View Full Version : Big Bald Airport

Miss Janet
07-05-2006, 09:30
I was up at Big Bald yesterday and saw an interesting and disturbing sign... when I tried to investigate I was not allowed access. I googled the names I had seen and now I feel angry. Angry at at myself because when this was first mentioned it sounded like it would never get approval and that it was MANY years in the future. Now it looks like a done deal and I have not heard anything about it. Have I just been oblivious to the public forum on this or did it just get approved without any discussion?

http://www.scenicwolfresort.com/haw-ridge-summit.html

orangebug
07-05-2006, 10:40
I heard something about this back in fall 04 when hiking up there. I think I saw a landing then. I didn't think that much of it at the time.

It sounds like the FAA approval bypasses opportunity for ATC to become aware or to get involved. Hopefully, these will be little planes. Have you contacted the ATC about it?

TOW
07-05-2006, 12:16
just another one of those things that we are powerless about.....anyhow a buddy of mine and i used to fly in his plane to destinations like this back in the 80's..........communities like this have been around for awhile......there's a place out in south central kansas that is or was a whole town that the only way you got there was by flying in.......i can't recall the name of the place though.......

orangebug
07-05-2006, 14:37
Prolly Alaska.

:banana

hacksaw
07-05-2006, 17:36
Your government in action! Never let it be said that bought and paid for politicians can't get a project ramrodded through before anyone notices. It's just a question of whether the developer knows who to buy and how much to pay. Don't think it won't be biuilt in to the price of the lots.

RockyTrail
07-05-2006, 19:05
Janet, I understand your concern, but I would actually be more worried about the effect of 80 new houses to be built than the landing strip itself. There is already a big-time ski resort there. These type of fly-in developments are "restricted use" which means you must have prior permission to land and its not open to the public like an airline service airport. It's more like a private boat ramp on a lake. Usually only some of the 80 or less people that could live there will fly from there and then only occasionally and certainly not everyday.

Some of the folks up there will have airplanes, but with only a 3600 ft runway at that altitude only very small personal aircraft are practical (i.e. no Boeings). I don't think you have to worry about that.

By the way, there is another airstrip on a mountaintop some 12 miles to the SE just south of Burnsville that has been in operation for many years (Mountain Air), you might ask some of their neighbors how that worked out, it is similar in size. See http://www.airnav.com/airport/2NC0

I hope this helps, yes I am a pilot in the region but I'm not affiliated with either of these places...my best guess is that you may rarely see much traffic out of this place and hardly notice it with the development already up there. Best regards, RT

Brushy Sage
07-06-2006, 18:48
I heard something about this back in fall 04 when hiking up there. I think I saw a landing then. I didn't think that much of it at the time.

It sounds like the FAA approval bypasses opportunity for ATC to become aware or to get involved. Hopefully, these will be little planes. Have you contacted the ATC about it?
-----------------------

The ATC is aware of this development and has been monitoring its progress. Local citizens are also monitoring it closely and want to make sure of compliance with all applicable laws.

sliderule
07-06-2006, 21:45
It sounds like the FAA approval bypasses opportunity for ATC to become aware or to get involved.

Private aerodromes (if that's what this one is) do not require FAA approval.