PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking with dog now?

frieden
07-05-2006, 10:12
This question is for people who started a thru hike or are currently thru hiking with a dog in 2006 only. We have all heard the "don't hike with a dog" and "dogs don't belong on the trail" stuff before, thank you.

I understand that ticks are especially bad this year. What have you learned about thru hiking with your dog(s)? Any suggestions? I've looked through many journals, and oddly enough, they don't mention their dog much at all, until there is a problem.

Thanks.

Ridge
07-05-2006, 12:51
......... I've looked through many journals, and oddly enough, they don't mention their dog much at all, until there is a problem.

Thanks.

That's because serious Thru-hikers don't take dogs. Your odds of completing the AT are probably cut in half with a dog.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2006, 12:53
Ridge is right on. You chances of completing a thru-hike are slim. With a dog, extremely slim.

frieden
07-05-2006, 13:22
I know, which makes finding info that much harder - which cuts a person's success rate down more too. Well, if you hear of any, let me know. I found the thread in the Class of 2007 after I posted this, which seems to be getting a lot of action, but not a lot of tips. Thanks anyway.

Phreak
07-05-2006, 14:35
That's because serious Thru-hikers don't take dogs. Your odds of completing the AT are probably cut in half with a dog.

(1) Please define a 'serious' thru-hiker.

(2)What data have you collected/read to determine that a dog will reduce your chances of completing a thru-hike? I've not found any information in regards to success rates with/withou a dog and would like to view this data if it's out there somewhere.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2006, 14:47
Phreak--

I know of no surveys or polls on the subject, but based on my own personal observation over more than a decade, and having met thousands of A.T. hikers, including dozens with dogs, I'd have to say that when they say that hiking with a dog decreases one's chance of completing a thru-hike, Ridge and Lone Wolf are correct. In my experience this is absolutely true.

Every year, dogs become sick, injured, disabled, lost, and sometimes killed while hiking on the Trail. In most cases, the owner can't deal with this and goes home.

Hikers do indeed do better without dogs along.

And this applies to NON dog owners as well.

Ridge
07-05-2006, 15:27
(1) Please define a 'serious' thru-hiker.

Excerpt from: "Funked up and Hiking" pg 283

"Serious Thru-hiker": A petless individual carrying all that is needed in a backpack, beginning at one terminus and traveling without hesitation or reserve toward the other terminus. This done in one fell swoop.

With skills and knowledge garnered at Whiteblaze.com the individual will make such trip with confidence. The "Serious Thru-hiker" will rely on his common sense and will take sustenance by way of food and supplies mailed by friends and family or from towns and communities encountered along the journey. The hiker will practice LNT, BYOB, and respect other hikers(without pets) along with the wildlife and natural surroundings.

Nean
07-05-2006, 21:42
It all depends on the person, I mean dog.:o You see... some people, I mean dogs, are better suited for the trail than others.;) Those dogs, I mean people, should stay at home on their computer and leave the less serious hikers like myself to enjoy the trail. :eek: Just my opinion, of course.:D

BonzNRio
07-06-2006, 14:40
All this garbage about dogs.Sure they can't hike through the Smokies or allowed in Baxter (which is b.s.) I've met a few that were obviously not suited for the trail & I've met several that were awesome.I've hiked with mine since he was 4 months old (he'll be 5 july 28th) & the only problems I've had is lodging & what not. I was never against dogs on the trail even before Rio & I hooked up.Like Nean...just my opinion..

Beaker2
07-10-2006, 10:07
My fiance and I are going to thru-hike in 2008 and are most likely going to bring our dog along. He is a 45lb pitt bull mix and having worked at a vet hospital as a vet tech for 5 years now, I have seen plenty of "mean" dogs, and mine is not one of them.
Bonz...have you thru hiked with your dog?
we have started taking Castor on shorter hikes (took him on a 9 mile day hike in PA yesterday) and he's been doing really well. He has his own pack and is really good in a tent. I was a little nervous yesterday bc we were in the boulders of PA and while we take him running in our neighborhood, he's on grass a lot....but his feet were fine.
I am hoping to talk to people who have thru hiked with their dogs or at least done large sections ......

So many people say you ABSOLUTELY should not bring your dogs.....to them i say:
I'm bringing my dog, he's probably in better shape than most of the human thru-hikers out there, possibly better mannered than most of them too.....i don't want to hear why i shouldn't bring my dog, i want to hear what i can do to make my dog's trip as smooth and enjoyable as possible!

SGT Rock
07-10-2006, 11:12
I'm bringing my dog, he's probably in better shape than most of the human thru-hikers out there, possibly better mannered than most of them too.....i don't want to hear why i shouldn't bring my dog, i want to hear what i can do to make my dog's trip as smooth and enjoyable as possible!

Even if the best advice is to leave it at home? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
07-10-2006, 12:05
The AT was concieved, designed and built for human beings. Leave your doggies at home where they belong. Pretty simple, eh?

max patch
07-10-2006, 12:16

Lets assume that you dog is in great shape, can carry a pack, won't have paw pad problems, is well behaved, etc etc etc.

Still...the presence of your dog will negatively impact the wilderness experience of other hikers. Wildlife that would have come near camping/shelter areas won't. I remember waking up in a shelter - I was by myself - somewhere (I think) in Virginia. I watched a bear walk up the creek that was in front of the shelter. An amazing site! And one that I'm sure would not have happened if a dog had been around.

If the impact of your dog on other folks hike doesn't bother you -- well -- it should.

Trail Yeti
07-10-2006, 12:33
I started my attempted flip-flop this year with my dog Savannah. She was in good shape, had tough paws as we lived "out of town" and she was constantly on gravel roads, and is well-behaved. She injured herself coming off Dragon's Tooth and I had to send her home. I continued to hike without her, but it wasn't the same so I came home.
It was VERY HARD hiking long distance with a dog. As a vet tech you are probably better off than most in regards to canine health and stuff. And since you are hiking with a partner that will help too. I really enjoyed hiking with Savannah and the hikers I was with enjoyed her company too. However, not everyone likes dogs on the trail which is something you need to expect. Savvy is well behaved (most of the time, no dog is perfect all the time) and loved hiking. However, with all that said I do not know if I would take her on a long distance hike again. Hiking with a dog is challenging for a few reasons. Sometimes its hard to find a place to stay in town or they charge more. Also, I always felt bad when I had to go into a store or restaraunt and had to leave her outside...not really fair as she had done the same miles as I had. Be prepared to take your dogs pack at times, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but the additional weight is "shocking". You have to keep your miles shorter, especially in the heat. Your pack is going to weigh more with extra gear for them as they can only carry so much, including extra water. And water in some areas can be a pain in the butt if you have a dog.
I did not hike with Savvy on a leash. I did try to make her hike behind me. However, she would chase squirrels and other small critters everyonce in while. The only way I found to keep her from doing this was to leash her. Hiking with afull pack and your dog on a leash is a pain in the butt. I'll try to think of more specifics that might help you out. It is entirely your decision as to whether or not to take your dog on your thru-hike, and its great (at least I think so) to enjoy the rewards of owning a dog while hiking. But it is going to drastically change your hike. Best of luck and if you have any specific questions I'll try and help you out.

frieden
07-10-2006, 21:39
Sometimes its hard to find a place to stay in town or they charge more. Also, I always felt bad when I had to go into a store or restaraunt and had to leave her outside. Your pack is going to weigh more with extra gear for them as they can only carry so much, including extra water. I did not hike with Savvy on a leash. I did try to make her hike behind me. However, she would chase squirrels and other small critters everyonce in while. The only way I found to keep her from doing this was to leash her.

Thanks, Trail Yeti. Because Ed is a service dog, I won't have some of the problems that you described, but people will still give us a hard time, especially when we travel. I've noticed that training with your dog ahead of time helps. For example, we always hike with a leash. The longest we've hiked in a straight line is 10 hours. Ed lets his puppy side show through when we start, and after breaks, but once he gets into his "zone", he becomes very focused. He completely ignores everything else, and keeps his eyes on the trail. Of course, when we hike the same trail, he knows where the rest stops are, and may just be focused on getting there. A 6-8 foot lead seems to work well for us. Ed also helps me with balance, and getting over obstacles.

I do not have him trained to drink out of the Platy, though. When we trained with the TN K9 SAR, we didn't have one, but he saw the other dogs drinking from their handler's hose. I'll have to get him trained on it before we leave, or we'll waste a lot of water on the trail (which could be dangerous).

Also, I can't seem to get him to wear his pack. He likes his service dog vest, and will chew through anything else I try to put on him.

When we camp in the back yard, he'll wait by the tent door, until I get the inside set up. When I tell him "ok", he'll go right to his side of the tent, and lay down. I did this so I wouldn't have to worry about wet dog running all over everything in the tent, before laying down. We sleep on the floor on the pads and sleeping bag every night in the house too, so he is used to it.

We "train" everyday at work. I try to think of situations on the trail and in towns, and we mimic those, so we're prepared (like the tent). I want him to have fun on the trail too, and he won't have that if I'm yelling at him all the time for doing something wrong. This is another reason I'm so eager to hear about problems and benefits hikers have experienced on the trail, while hiking with their dogs. Thanks so much for your comments!

frieden
07-10-2006, 21:51
My fiance and I are going to thru-hike in 2008 and are most likely going to bring our dog along. He is a 45lb pitt bull mix and having worked at a vet hospital as a vet tech for 5 years now, I have seen plenty of "mean" dogs, and mine is not one of them. we have started taking Castor on shorter hikes (took him on a 9 mile day hike in PA yesterday) and he's been doing really well. He has his own pack and is really good in a tent. I was a little nervous yesterday bc we were in the boulders of PA and while we take him running in our neighborhood, he's on grass a lot....but his feet were fine.
I am hoping to talk to people who have thru hiked with their dogs or at least done large sections ......

Hey, Beaker2! Keep us informed about how Castor does on the trail. Many of the trails close to us are cement (I'm not kidding). Ed's paws were rubbed raw, because I couldn't keep him on the grassy side. We don't do that anymore. As a vet tech, do you know of any natural flea/tick repellent for dogs? Should they be on a supplement while hiking?

Ridge
07-10-2006, 22:43
If you're gonna let the dog(s) run loose you better hope there's not a retired school teacher with a gun on the trail.

Pine Canyon Tragedy Hiker with two dogs shot and killed.

In May 2004, a hiker, Harold Fish, a retired Arizona teacher is allegedly beset by two dogs. He allegedly shoots warning shots. The dogs' owner allegedly charges the hiker, allegedly yelling one or more death threats. The hiker allegedly shoots the individual. The individual dies.

NRA paying for this teachers defense. He was convicted in a lower court, but was overturned on appeal.

Beaker2
07-10-2006, 22:51
Okay...wow....I go to work and come home and there a quite a few responses....sorry for any feathers ruffled.....
first off Frieden: I will definately keep you informed of our progress...as for fleas and ticks, I use Frontline plus as it works very well and is safe around our cat (they wrestle regularly and Advantix can be harmful to cats). There is a very good tick collar called a Preventic collar but the downside is it can't get wet....a no-go for my dog. 1 supplement that myself and my dog are both on that we will DEFINATELY continue on the trail is glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. I've taken them for years and although Castor's still young (1yr 3mo) it can't hurt to have them on it. The only other thing is that about 5 months before we hike i will switch him over to a higher-clorie food. Anamet makes food that were disigned for sled dogs and are very nutrient and calorie dense....no crap. any other questions ask me!

to Trail Yeti: thanks for the insight as to hiking with your dog.....i will definately ask any other questions i come up with!

to everyone else who's posted since the last time.....I AM planning on taking my dog, and have seen plenty of wildlife hiking and camping with him. Yes, the AT was designed for humans, but what do you think dogs did before we took them into our homes, bought them beds, cooked custom meals, and named them Fifi with pink bows intheir hair? they lived out in the wild, on the land!

Skidsteer
07-10-2006, 22:53
If you're gonna let the dog(s) run loose you better hope there's not a retired school teacher with a gun on the trail.

Pine Canyon Tragedy Hiker with two dogs shot and killed.

In May 2004, a hiker, Harold Fish, a retired Arizona teacher is allegedly beset by two dogs. He allegedly shoots warning shots. The dogs' owner allegedly charges the hiker, allegedly yelling one or more death threats. The hiker allegedly shoots the individual. The individual dies.

NRA paying for this teachers defense. He was convicted in a lower court, but was overturned on appeal.

You should send me cash money for this avatar I found for you, Ridge. ;)

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL535/4923944/10186416/165740667.jpg

Ridge
07-10-2006, 22:54
http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/9510/msg00075.html

This is a dog-hiker journal page that anyone thinking about long distance hiking with a dog should read.

Ridge
07-10-2006, 23:12
You should send me cash money for this avatar I found for you, Ridge. ;)

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL535/4923944/10186416/165740667.jpg

If every dog hiker could get bitten by a strange dog then wonder and worry if they should get rabies shots I believe they would feel a little different about unleashed dogs.

I've got nothing against the dog, I love dogs, have always owned at least one dog, got one now. I do prefer large outside dogs over lap dogs. The problem is the dumb-ass dog owner.

If I'm ever attacked by a dog or dogs again I will try to beat them off with my stick, assuming I think I can, but I will kill before I have to wonder and worry about having to take rabies shots because an owner flees the scene not offering any help, knowing I'd press charges if I could. I'm not gonna listen to the BS "he's never done anything like that before, I swear" as they are leaving down the trail as fast as possible. It's just not going to happen again, not without a fight and/or a shootout if necessary.

ed bell
07-10-2006, 23:25
This is a dog-hiker journal page that anyone thinking about long distance hiking with a dog should read. Wow Ridge you sure have mellowed out on the subject. Considering the fellow made it to Conn. with his dog, and gave advice to others on strategies to help dog hikers cope with the harsh realities of thru-hiking with a dog, I would figure you would't post it. Sounds like Uncle Wolf has some real good advice about long distance hiking with a dog. He does NOT encourage it. The difference between Uncle Wolf and others is all in the delivery, and that just might be the point that needs to be made the most.:sun

Ridge
07-10-2006, 23:35
Wow Ridge you sure have mellowed out on the subject.....

Don't count me mellow yet, if the guy had listened to me, he would have never taken the dog and himself, along with the non-dog hikers they encountered, would have enjoyed the trail much more. Hikers who carry their dogs are doing both parties a disservice along with hikers like me, who don't want dogs on the trail and amongst wildlife.

ed bell
07-10-2006, 23:47
Don't count me mellow yet I really never believed it, I just wondered if you had suddenly botherd to read, in full, the links you post. I doubt you fully read the last sentence of my previous post. Only time will tell.:sun

Trail Yeti
07-10-2006, 23:47
I remembered one more thing. Before I started hiking with Savannah I went and talked to my vet to ask his advice on...well on everything. I ended up using some "tough paw" solution to help with her pads before we started. I also changed her food to Purina Pro Performance Formula at my vet's recomendation. It helped her to gain muscle weight and was designed for sled dogs (or so I was told), and helped her keep her energy level up. Sorry I got Frieden and Beaker confused....but y'all got the point right? If you need to know the paw stuff I can look and let you know.
Frieden...does Ed hike in front or behind you on leash?

Ridge
07-10-2006, 23:56
I really never believed it, I just wondered if you had suddenly botherd to read, in full, the links you post. I doubt you fully read the last sentence of my previous post. Only time will tell.:sun

No I did read and comprehended your last sentence, thats the very reason I posted this guys journal page.

On another note...This guy mentions sneaking dogs into motels, etc, this kinda activity makes all and I mean ALL hikers look bad and it makes businesses along the trail weary of all thru-hikers. So does one hiker getting a room and 18 others moving in for the night, taking showers, using the pool, etc.

ed bell
07-11-2006, 00:06
No I did read and comprehended your last sentence, thats the very reason I posted this guys journal page.

On another note...This guy mentions sneaking dogs into motels, etc, this kinda activity makes all and I mean ALL hikers look bad and it makes businesses along the trail weary of all thru-hikers. Yeah, that was an unfortunate aspect of his entry. I sometimes wonder if those who regard the rules are in a minority.

frieden
07-11-2006, 00:33
I remembered one more thing. Before I started hiking with Savannah I went and talked to my vet to ask his advice on...well on everything. I ended up using some "tough paw" solution to help with her pads before we started. I also changed her food to Purina Pro Performance Formula at my vet's recomendation. It helped her to gain muscle weight and was designed for sled dogs (or so I was told), and helped her keep her energy level up. Sorry I got Frieden and Beaker confused....but y'all got the point right? If you need to know the paw stuff I can look and let you know.
Frieden...does Ed hike in front or behind you on leash?

I've heard of the paw tough stuff, and will try it. Ed hikes in front of me.

Ramble~On
07-11-2006, 02:54
Hmmmm....smells like another dog thread in here.

I have not heard anything about ticks being bad this year and haven't seen any difference from any other year. I live about 20 minutes from NOC, perhaps the ticks are bad in other places....

Lone Wolf
07-11-2006, 05:25

On another note...This guy mentions sneaking dogs into motels, etc, this kinda activity makes all and I mean ALL hikers look bad and it makes businesses along the trail weary of all thru-hikers. So does one hiker getting a room and 18 others moving in for the night, taking showers, using the pool, etc.
Last week a church group of about 20 youth hiked into Damascus and stayed at "The Place". One of the adult leaders had a dog. He totally disregarded the "No Dogs On Property" sign and brought the dog in the hostel to sleep. He admitted to another hiker that he knew it was wrong but did it anyway. AZZHOLE!

Jaybird
07-11-2006, 05:54
Last week a church group of about 20 youth hiked into Damascus and stayed at "The Place". One of the adult leaders had a dog. He totally disregarded the "No Dogs On Property" sign and brought the dog in the hostel to sleep. He admitted to another hiker that he knew it was wrong but did it anyway. AZZHOLE!

Gee...GREAT! another reason the locals have to HATE hikers!

corentin
07-11-2006, 09:01
Doesn't make " church groups " look so hot either.

frieden
07-11-2006, 11:22
Doesn't make " church groups " look so hot either.

....or dogs. The other hikers should have ganged up on this guy immediately.

Here's something I don't understand: I've read numerous trail journals, and many of them talk about shunned hikers. You know, the one's who break the written and unwritten rules, like getting into someone's personal space, taking food, unwanted advances, etc. In all those cases, the other hikers shunned this bad hiker, wrote things in the shelter logs, spread the word, etc. This hiker typically left the trail. The other hikers shunned this specific hiker; they didn't learn to hate all hikers, even though they met more than one jerk (some of them actually dangerous, swinging a loaded gun around). Now, the same situation with a irresponsible hiker with a dog, the hikers do not respond the same way. They don't take it out on the offending party, they take it out on hikers with dogs in general. I've also noticed that it doesn't even have to be a bad hiker with dog story. It could be loose local dogs, or dogs not even on the trail, and some hikers will take it out on hikers with dogs who have never caused a problem. I just don't understand it. Some of the things I've read about these bad hikers are downright horror stories. I'm glad all hikers do not have to pay for these few bad ones, but I wish good hikers with dogs would be given the same chance.

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 11:40
Actually I think you are missing a lot of other things and only see this one because it affects you personally.

Ask any hiker here that has ever told people that they want to have a gun on the trail. That will get even worse than a dog thread.

Same thing when you say cell phone, boy scout troop, no maps, or a few other things. Try doing a search, well then again you may not find too many of them because they often get so bad we have to move them to a holding zone.

No one is picking on dogs unfairly, people are stating their opinion.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 11:55
[quote=frieden........I wish good hikers with dogs would be given the same chance.[/quote]

Dog hikers have been on the trail since the AT was built, the typical dog-hiker looks like the one described in post #30 or worse. And, as more females start hiking, more dogs. How much chance do you need? Hell, its hard enough to get the humans to act half way right. 90% or more dog hikers fall into the inconsiderate butthole category not only for other hikers but to the environment. The trail is for humans, not humans and their pets. The reason so many hikers carry their dogs instead of their children is that the children can speak their reservations about being on a trail and the adult can't stand the complaining. The dogs are interpreted as having a great time even if they are limping and all 4 paws are bleeding.

the goat
07-11-2006, 12:32
90% or more dog hikers fall into the inconsiderate butthole category not only for other hikers but to the environment. The trail is for humans, not humans and their pets.

ridge-
you have the ability to make some compelling arguments against dogs on the trail (as i've seen you state them.) however, statements like this only serve to make you appear irrational. (that really is a silly statement.)

why are you so vehemently opposed to trail dogs, btw? from what i gather, you were bitten by a trail dog once, and that person walked away after giving you some lame excuse, and you have been tormented ever since by the fact that you didn't confront that person. besides this, what else has happened to you personally?

Ridge
07-11-2006, 12:40
....why are you so vehemently opposed to trail dogs, btw? from what i gather, you were bitten by a trail dog once, .....

Instead of me trying to explain, how bout you get back to me right after you get bitten by a strange dog and have to worry about Rabies, along with the physical scars.

Phreak
07-11-2006, 12:51
http://www.whereiskeith.com

I met Keith on his first night at Springer Mountain Shelter and he was starting his NOBO thru hike with his dog Murphy. As of June 29th, he and Murphy are somewhere in VA.

Phreak
07-11-2006, 13:04
Ridge,
I'd like to extend an offer to you to do a day hike with me and my dog Suzi. I'm in no way attempting to change your views of dogs and the trail, but I would like for you to see what a well trained dog is like on the trail. Suzi is a 52# shepherd/lab mix, she has logged over 900 miles of backpacking over the last 14 months.

Suzi and I are in the North Georgia Mountains at least two days a week... typically on the AT 'tween Springer and Woody Gap.

Thanks,
Brian & Suzi

Ridge
07-11-2006, 13:47
Thanks, and I do know that a small percent of dog-hikers do what is necessary to keep all happy. I will say this, I would be more concerned with attacks if I carried a dog on the trail, leashed or unleashed. Other, hiker-dogs running loose could attack your dog as well as you. Heres a perfect example that happened a month or two back.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBreedBites/2006/March06/Mixedbreed0306.pdf

Creepy Uncle
07-11-2006, 13:47
Actually I think you are missing a lot of other things and only see this one because it affects you personally.

Ask any hiker here that has ever told people that they want to have a gun on the trail. That will get even worse than a dog thread.

Same thing when you say cell phone, boy scout troop, no maps, or a few other things. Try doing a search, well then again you may not find too many of them because they often get so bad we have to move them to a holding zone.

No one is picking on dogs unfairly, people are stating their opinion.

my stove boils water faster than your stove

Ridge
07-11-2006, 13:51
my stove boils water faster than your stove

Now you've done it!!! LOL

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 13:52
Yes it does.

the goat
07-11-2006, 14:50
Instead of me trying to explain, how bout you get back to me right after you get bitten by a strange dog and have to worry about Rabies, along with the physical scars.

so you getting bit by one dog w/ an ignorant owner makes "90% or more of all dog hikers fall into the inconsiderate butthole category".(your words):confused:

like i said, this seems a bit irrational. i have no doubt that your one encounter was traumatic, but i fail to see any evidence for your sweeping generalization.

Almost There
07-11-2006, 15:15
Frieden,

Go onto trailjournals and sign Heald's journal, ask if he can email you after he gets done with his hike. His dog, Annie, has over 10,000 miles on the AT. I have personally never seen a better dog on the trail. I know she is an exception to the rule for most dogs on the trail. The point is, Heald, probably has logged more miles on the AT than anyone with a dog. He might have some good pointers for you.

Personally, I don't like it when a strange dog comes at me, and if it comes too close it will get struck by my hiking pole, especially if no owner is in site. That being said, if someone wants to hike with their dog...feel free to do so, but do be prepared to accept the consequences,(more solitary experiences, other hikers giving you a hard time, dog getting injured, ending your hike early because of dog.)

Ridge
07-11-2006, 15:25
so you getting bit by one dog w/ an ignorant owner makes "90% or more of all dog hikers fall into the inconsiderate butthole category".(your words):confused:

like i said, this seems a bit irrational. i have no doubt that your one encounter was traumatic, but i fail to see any evidence for your sweeping generalization.

Actually, I based the 90% on what others claim and basically to just be generous, I'd say the real figure is closer to 95% buttholes. If you looked at ever dog-hiker picture on the Web, including here at WB, you're not going to see any muzzled dogs and only a few leashed ones. I've hiked over 12000 miles in my life and have passed many dogs, my estimate stands.

the goat
07-11-2006, 15:34
my estimate stands.

as does your irrationality.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 15:40
as does your irrationality.

you can call me irrational, but you want ever call me bitten by a dog while hiking again, not without a lot of fireworks.

MOWGLI
07-11-2006, 15:56
you can call me irrational, but you want ever call me bitten by a dog while hiking again, not without a lot of fireworks.

Seems like with you Ridge, there are fireworks any way you slice it. Are you really a hiker? Please tell us about your PCT hike last year.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 16:04
Seems like with you Ridge, there are fireworks any way you slice it. Are you really a hiker? Please tell us about your PCT hike last year.

I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my
head that far up my ass.

MOWGLI
07-11-2006, 16:17
You're a phony Ridge. :banana

the goat
07-11-2006, 16:18
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my
head that far up my ass.

that doesn't even make sense, some might even call that response "irrational".

i think mowgli is referring to your claims that you were doing the pct last year on a previous thread.

in the same thread, you repeatedly refer to having "hiked the ATC". (which i'm still trying to understand:confused: .) even after someone pointed this out in a subtle way, you continued referring to the trail as "hiking the ATC".

combine all of that with your most recent claim to have hiked 12,000 miles, and i think there is a strong case you're a BS artist.

you see ridge, based upon my own experiences and what others have told me, 90% of all people who flaunt their total number of trail miles, are full of *****.;)

MOWGLI
07-11-2006, 16:21
Combine that with the fact that he refuses to say who he maintains trail with, refuses to discuss his "alleged" PCT hike, was caught posting a phony photo on the site - and then blamed his kids. Plus, no photos in the gallery.

I smell a $3 bill. ;)

Ridge
07-11-2006, 16:39
It's amazing to the extent dog-hikers will go to try and piss me off. The only thing I'm doing is sending in my membership cancellation to Greg Miller.

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 16:41
It's amazing to the extent dog-hikers will go to try and piss me off. The only thing I'm doing is sending in my membership cancellation to Greg Miller.

I'm not a dog-hiker. And I can't find any photos in your gallery either.

Creepy Uncle
08-18-2006, 17:31
Now you've done it!!! LOL

and i hike with a dog!

The Old Fhart
08-18-2006, 17:56
Ridge-"The only thing I'm doing is sending in my membership cancellation to Greg Miller." I not sure what that has to do with the discussion here but I'm sure the AHS will send you a personal "Thank You!" :D

blindeye
08-18-2006, 20:52
i can appreciate the notion of " take a dog decrease your chances of of completing a thru hike" I am legally blind i can take a service animal wherever i want and sorry. your opinions are worthless. hope that's not to harsh.

the_iceman
08-22-2006, 09:01
I think it is Adrian Hall's book on the AT that talks about a hikers dog being shot in the AT in W. VA.

SGT Rock
08-22-2006, 09:02
Yes, but it was not a very good book about hiking the AT. I wouldn't reccomend it.

frieden
08-22-2006, 10:01
I think it is Adrian Hall's book on the AT that talks about a hikers dog being shot in the AT in W. VA.

Kevlar is $1.33/inch.

SGT Rock
08-22-2006, 10:05
Not to get too technical, but just one layer of Kevlar fiber is not going to stop much of anything, especially not a gunshot.

frieden
08-22-2006, 10:09
Sorry, I was just trying to make a funny. The dog vests don't cover enough of the dog, anyway. Since Ed is "deer colored", I am worried about him getting shot, though. We have so much blaze orange, we're going to look like a walking street sign! :eek: Seriously, I think I overdid the orange and reflective strips.

SGT Rock
08-22-2006, 10:13
If you keep him on a leash and both of you wear orange in hunting season you should be OK. The good think is most places in the south have deer season in the fall. I think you should be out of the south in time for deer season. Up north, well I don't know when it happens in Maine, but in Wisconsin it was November if I remember - also should be done before then if you do it right.

frieden
08-22-2006, 10:18
Cool. Thanks, SGT. Yep, even his leash is orange. Back when I was planning our 2006 thru, the ATC (?) had a list of hiking seasons along the trail. I'll have to see if that is still available. If any of you see an orange glow coming up the trail, it's just us. ;)

veteran
08-22-2006, 10:59
You have to beware of my dog sniping kitten.

buckhead
08-22-2006, 13:22
I am on my second backpacking dog. I lost the first to heart worms. My current dog is, "Abby", a yellow lab. I have trained her well and keep her under verbal control at all times. She will not even walk in front, she stay behind me. She has a retractable leash on her collar should we encounter other hikers and a tie cable for around camp. I tie her any time someone is eating. I usually only carry her on low use trails to remote areas because I know how much I hate someone else's dog in my face and I don't want to impose on other people. Most owners don't control their dogs and I think the owner and dog should stay at home. Let's face it most people are jerks. Me, me, me is all they care about. Let's try thinking of others when we bring a dog on the trail.

I am a dog lover, have always owned a dog and I know what the dogs place is, and it's not in my face or anyone else’s.

Some dog owners go to far. Like carrying them to the store, leaving them in the car, carrying them around like a baby and whatever else. Dogs are not kids, they are dogs.

I encountered some people packing with a dog last weekend. They had no leash and let the dog run around. When the dog came sniffing around in our camp, I quickly established my dislike for the loose dog by yelling at the dog to "get out of here", while lunging at him. I was prepared for a physical altercation and would not have hesitated to attack the dog or owner should the owner get biligerant over my reaction to his action of not leashing his dog!

Control your dogs and kids. Please!

Appalachian Tater
08-29-2006, 22:18
1. A couple left their packs within a couple of feet of the trail and tied their dog to a tree on a long rope to guard the packs while they went and explored off the trail. The dog barked and growled and tried to attack anyone trying to walk by, forcing hikers off the trail. The owners inquired if we had seen the dog, we explained what had happened, and they said something to the effect of, "Great, he's doing a good job guarding our packs." Bad owners, aggressive dog.

2. Three day hikers all decked out in AT bandannas and patches had three aggressive (snarling and barking) dogs running loose on a long marsh boardwalk and would only restrain them upon my strong insistence because I was afraid of being attacked by the wild pack. I later heard them yelling at the dogs who had run ahead to the end of the boardwalk and were threatening a couple of children playing behind their houses. The area had signs posted all over the place requiring dogs to be leashed at all times. Very bad owners, aggresive dogs.

3. A dog woke me up at about 4 am by pulling on my tent. He was running loose in camp and ran back to his owner's tent to hide when I woke up and saw him. Bad owner, fraidy-cat dog.

4. A dog allowed to run loose hunted and killed many small animals along the trail, including a beaver. Bad owner, untrained dog.

5. A usually well-behaved dog began chronically misbehaving and had to be taken home by the owner. Good owner, good dog.

6. A thru-hiker lost his dog (and best friend) in the woods for over 24 hours, causing the owner extreme emotional grief. This wonderfully behaved dog was being forced to hike 20 miles a day to meet a deadline and had suffered foot injuries. A couple of days later the dog was lost again but after that the owner kept the dog on a rope. Owner unable to assess the situation and act appropriately, wonderful dog.

7. Several very hungry dogs were found lost at shelters over the course of the season and had to be walked out by hikers. Stupid owners, emaciated dogs.

8. Many loose dogs, usually those belonging to day hikers or tourists, growled and snapped at me. Sometimes the owners insisted that the dog was not agressive even while this behavior was occurring and some of them seemed to approve of the aggressive behavior. Bad owners, aggressive dogs.

Ironically, the well-behaved dogs were almost invariably kept leashed by the owners.

9. A vet who gave me a ride into town told me that there were many thru-hiker dogs brought in over the season, most frequently for dehydration. Apparently some breeds can't handle the summer heat well no matter how much water they drink. Bad owners, suffering dogs.

10. I observed many owners allow their dogs to drink directly from water sources and defecate anywhere they pleased without cleaning up after them. Very bad owners.

Granted, there was a small minority of dog owners who were well-behaved and had well-behaved dogs and these were a pleasure to be around. I like well-behaved dogs but the AT is absolutely not the place where a responsible owner would take them because of the very real hazards to the dog.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2006, 22:21
Tater speaks the truth. Next?