PDA

View Full Version : Priority Mail Flat Rate Postage

Alligator
07-05-2006, 11:09
I just sent two mail drops and used flat rate boxes. I got to talking with the postal clerk regarding the rate. Basically, you're only saving money if the box is heavy and going far. If you are using a bounce box and priority mail, it may not pay to use the flat rate, since often the distance traveled is short. Of my two boxes, one was over and one was under--meaning I only saved on one box. Just something to think about.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2006, 11:16
Good post. In my experience, over shorter distances, it makes more sense to send stuff at priority rates. The cost difference is minimal; your stuff arrives at its destination quicker; you can bump it elsewhere for free if you don't open it (and this can be done from another location, by notifying the postmaster); and most of all, Priority mail seems to be better cared for, easier for post office staff to locate, is less frequently lost or mis-placed, and is probably easier to track if it is lost or mis-directed. Also, you can get your Prioroty boxes FOR FREE if you go to the USPS website and have them mailed to you. This can save you paying for shipping boxes or running around scrounging them from stores. In short, if you expect to send a lot of packages from home or elsewhere, Priority Mail makes a lot of sense.

(Note: This obviously does not include the times or places where it makes more sense to have your stuff sent UPS, FedEX, or some other private carrier.
In many cases, such as when stuff is shipped to or from an Outfitter, hostel, etc., it makes more sense NOT to use the Post Office and to send mail to another location instead, where you have seven day a week access to it and don't have to worry about Post Office hours of operation, holidays, etc).

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 12:08
... and most of all, Priority mail ... is probably easier to track if it is lost or mis-directed. ...

Just for the record, to my knowledge, Priority Mail cannot be tracked at all. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I only say this because someone might rely on the assumption that it's trackable, and I don't think it is. Had a frightful experience some time ago with some critical Priority Mail that went missing for over a month. As I recall, the Post Office told me "too bad, so sad." It finally showed up on its own, thank goodness.

Rain:sunMan

Alligator
07-05-2006, 12:46
Just for the record, to my knowledge, Priority Mail cannot be tracked at all. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I only say this because someone might rely on the assumption that it's trackable, and I don't think it is. Had a frightful experience some time ago with some critical Priority Mail that went missing for over a month. As I recall, the Post Office told me "too bad, so sad." It finally showed up on its own, thank goodness.

.I've gotten tracking numbers before, for gear I've ordered. And I'm pretty sure I was offered the numbers for something I sent out. The system is real slow though, it only updates nightly. It's not as much fun as watching something come from UPS.

sliderule
07-05-2006, 20:05
There is a difference between a tracking number and a delivery confirmation number.

Alligator
07-05-2006, 21:09
There is a difference between a tracking number and a delivery confirmation number.Whoops, have I mixed these up? I don't remember getting much information, but that sounds right Sliderule. I can almost hear the clerk saying that "Would you like a DC#"? Sorry for any confusion Rain Man.

Sly
07-05-2006, 21:10
A couple points.

Depending on weight and distance it's certainly cheaper to send parcel post than Priority Mail and it gets there about the same time. For example, if you're mailing a 10 pound package from Hot Springs to Erwin you'll save $3 and they'll both take 2 days.

Although Priority Mail has free forwarding, technically if you're there to receive it, it doesn't get free fowarding. If the postal worker refuses, don't show your azz, because you'd be wrong.

From town to town I typically send PP and have never lost a package or out hiked one.

Regardless, I always ask at the PO or look online for the best rates and service.

papa john
07-05-2006, 22:45
Sly is right on the money, now if you get there and the package isn't there then you can forward it on to your next town stop for free, but once they hand it to you, it is delivered!

Also, the USPS PM DC can be tracked but usually by the time they update the website it has already been delivered. Also, it has to be scanned at every point where it changes modes of transportation and that doesn't happen very often. I think UPS is now carrying PM from coast to coast as it now takes a week for PM to get here from CA.

Sly
07-05-2006, 23:08
If the mail truck got a flat tire (not to be confused with fat tire) while hiker Y got a ride, I could see the hiker arriving before the package. However, in the rare circumstance that happened ( 1-100 local odds) it would cost $300 to save $5. (free fowarding)

But hey, if you're afraid your ramen noodles may be mishandled, you may be better off sending it PM. ;)

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 23:08
Whoops, have I mixed these up? I don't remember getting much information, but that sounds right Sliderule. I can almost hear the clerk saying that "Would you like a DC#"? Sorry for any confusion Rain Man.

No problem. I do believe that Delivery Confirmation is an additional charge, though. You can get it on any kind of mail, I'm thinking, not just Priority Mail. It's not "inherent" for any kind of mail, in other words, not even certified mail.

I sure wish a postmaster would step up and tell us what's what! LOL

Sly
07-05-2006, 23:25

What was the question? ;)

Frosty
07-05-2006, 23:54
.I'm not a Postmaster, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

from www.usps.com

Question
Tracking vs Confirming delivery of a package

Answer
Tracking services provide detailed information. You will see the item scanned at acceptance, as it travels, and when it is delivered. Tracking information is available for Express Mail® mailpieces only (including Global Express Guaranteed®™* and Global Express Mail™*).

Services that confirm delivery are designed to be a low cost alternative to full tracking. Instead of seeing the acceptance information and updated scans as the item is enroute delivery confirmation services provide assurance of delivery or of attempted delivery. This service is available with the purchase of the following:

Delivery Confirmation™ service.
Signature Confirmation® service.
Certified Mail™ service.
Registered Mail™ service.
International Registered Mail™ service.

sliderule
07-06-2006, 13:13
No problem. I do believe that Delivery Confirmation is an additional charge, though.

Delivery Confirmation on Priority Mail packages is provided free if you purchase the postage online through the USPS ClicknShip program. But Delivery Confirmation is worthless if you are shipping a package to your self or someone that you trust. It is not a form of insurance, it just provides evidence that the item was delivered.

Rain Man
07-06-2006, 16:08
Delivery Confirmation on Priority Mail packages is provided free if you purchase the postage online through the USPS ClicknShip program. ....

That may be, but for folks walking into a post office (or calculating postage online), it's 50 cents extra on Priority Mail.

My only point was that it's not automatic and for hikers not to be confused and think they had either tracking or delivery confirmation, when in fact they didn't.

Still, thanks for the tidbit about ClicknShip benefits. As you say, it's not insurance. Nor is it tracking.

From the USPS.com site-

"Delivery ConfirmationTM

"Provides the date and time of delivery or attempted delivery. May be purchased at the time of mailing only. Mailers may retrieve Delivery Confirmation information at the usps.com Track and Confirm website or by calling 800-222-1811. Available for Priority Mail and parcels sent as First-Class Mail, Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, or Media Mail.

"Not available for: APO/FPO destinations and U.S. territories, possessions, and freely-associated states in Domestic Mail Manual 608 (except for Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands, to which service is available).

"For an additional fee, Delivery Confirmation may be combined with: COD, insured mail, Registered Mail, return receipt for merchandise (Form 3804), or special handling. Restricted delivery is available if purchased with insurance for over $50, COD, or Registered Mail. Return receipt is available if purchased with insurance for over $50, COD, or Registered Mail.

"Fee in addition to postage:
"Priority Mail—$0.50
"First-Class Mail—$0.60
"Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, and Media Mail—$0.60

Blissful
07-10-2006, 22:01
Honestly, I don't think delivery confirmation would help from a hiker's standpoint. You need Internet access to check it and then USPS doesn't update them consistently. Delivery confirmation works well when sending out pricey stuff - like when I sold a sleeping bag to a fellow hiker and he wanted to know if it had gotten to him (the pkg was hidden in the apartment office). Worked great in that instance.

I'd use the fifty cents to buy more bags of ramen noodles.

hikerjohnd
07-10-2006, 22:25
Although Priority Mail has free forwarding, technically if you're there to receive it, it doesn't get free fowarding. If the postal worker refuses, don't show your azz, because you'd be wrong.

However, if you walk into the post office, and ask to forward the package then they have to do it. The key is not to accept delivery. While you are right that once you put your hands on it, it is yours, they can not make you take it.