PDA

View Full Version : NC/VA Border warmup trips weekenders

BigRed
07-05-2006, 16:06
I am in greensboro NC and looking to do some warmup trips w/in 2-4 hrs of here, I know there are quite a few good spots around here, Roanoke, Doughton St park, blacksburg etc.
It's been a while since i have been in the woods over nite and would like some company.
About me 29, male, better then average shape (for a computer programmer),

lets go for a walk

Gaiter
09-17-2006, 13:59
I live in winston-salem. For day hikes there is Pilot Mtn. and Hanging Rock State parks, i go up there all the time. From W-S its about 25min to Pilot mtn. and 45 to hanging rock take I40 to w-s and then go north on 52, follow the signs to the parks. Also check w/ blue ridge mtn sports in g-boro (http://www.brmsstore.com/insideBRMS/store.php?storeID=10), they do 2-3day trips occasionally. i went on a 2day trip w/ them last spring to the wilson creek wilderness area and had a great time.
Hanna

Earl Grey
09-19-2006, 18:57
I live in winston-salem. For day hikes there is Pilot Mtn. and Hanging Rock State parks, i go up there all the time. From W-S its about 25min to Pilot mtn. and 45 to hanging rock take I40 to w-s and then go north on 52, follow the signs to the parks. Also check w/ blue ridge mtn sports in g-boro (http://www.brmsstore.com/insideBRMS/store.php?storeID=10) (http://www.brmsstore.com/insideBRMS/store.php?storeID=10%29), they do 2-3day trips occasionally. i went on a 2day trip w/ them last spring to the wilson creek wilderness area and had a great time.
Hanna

When im up in the triad I always stop by that store. Thats actually where I got my pack, a man named Jim spent about 2 hours fitting me and everything, a really great store. Theyre having a trip up to Pisgah in mid Oct I think and I would go but im already doing the Foothills Trail around that time. Im scared about REI opening a store near there though, I hope they dont get put out of business.

I grew up in Winston and Hanging Rock is definetly the best within 30-45 minutes, even better than Pilot Mountain.

blackbishop351
09-19-2006, 19:06
Don't forget Uwharrie National Forest. About 45 minutes south.

littlelaurel59
09-20-2006, 09:06
Hanging Rock and Pilot Mtn State Parks are fine, but my favorite is Stone Mountain (1 hr from Winston Salem). Nice 7 mile loop over the mountain, going by a waterfall. There are primitive backcountry campsites that are nice for an overnight.

For weekend trips- Mt Rogers NRA, Linville Gorge and Wilson Creek Wildernesses, Roan Mountain, Grandfather Mountain (private land- trail fee required). Uwharrie National Forest is nice in cooler weather, and very close by.

There are more places in western NC and southwestern VA than I have time to visit.

DREWEY
09-23-2006, 12:51
hey! I'm from Kernersville, NC (between Winston-Salem and Greensboro). I go up to Hanging Rock state park all the time. I'm 20 years old and currently trying to find someone to hike the AT with me. I am still in the trail planning process. If you are interested just gimme an email [email protected] or message me on AIM Nvision223. Glad to see there are folks near me that love the outdoors! :)

-Drewey