PDA

View Full Version : nest and snake skins

Hangman
07-05-2006, 21:58
ok i'm hooked on hammocks i have the hh ultralite backpacker and just bought the nest. used the hammock on some section hikes and think it great. my question is will the hh #4 snake skins fit my hh and nest with out the fly? i thought about making some, but local walmart does not have the silnil material. so want to by some already made skins. wish jrb still made the pythons i hear so much about (anybody have a set for sale?) thanks for all help

hammock engineer
07-05-2006, 23:18
I think that is what I was told on the snake skins. Go to the JRB site and compair the dimensions of the skins they have plans for and the #4 skins on the HH site.

DGrav
07-06-2006, 08:06
My wife has an the HH Ultralite Backpacker and the Nest, she easily fits them in the #4 Snake Skin.

I have the Explorer Ultralite which also fits in the #4 along with the Nest.

We have two additional Snake Skins (the orginal sizes for our hammocks) that we use for the flys. Makes for a real fast and easy setup.

BigToe
07-06-2006, 09:40
I use the HH #4 snakeskins with my HH Explorer Ultralight and the JRB Nest. Works great. I also pack the fly separately to keep it accessible during the day, and to facilitate setting up in the rain. After my recent NJ section, I can say keeping the fly separate for rain setup works better!

wacbzz
07-06-2006, 10:09
I have the Explorer Ultralite which also fits in the #4 along with the Nest.

I use the HH #4 snakeskins with my HH Explorer Ultralight and the JRB Nest. Works great.

Do these snakeskins slide over the HH and JRB Nest easily? I have a HH Explorer Deluxe (you know, for us "Clydesdales"!) and having just purchased the Nest, I'm wondering if I should make my own Python Skins per JRB or buy the HH #4 snakeskins...:-?

DGrav
07-06-2006, 11:03
For both of our hammocks, it is easier getting the #4 snake skins over the hammock and the Nest than it was sliding the recommended snake skins (#2 for the BLU #3 for the EUL) over hammock and tarp.

BigToe
07-06-2006, 13:31
Do these snakeskins slide over the HH and JRB Nest easily? I have a HH Explorer Deluxe (you know, for us "Clydesdales"!) and having just purchased the Nest, I'm wondering if I should make my own Python Skins per JRB or buy the HH #4 snakeskins...:-?

Yes, definitely easy sliding the SS over the HH (I have the Explorer Ultralight Asym - for over 6 footers) and Nest combo.

wacbzz
07-06-2006, 15:13
Thanks guys.:sun

Hangman
07-06-2006, 19:56
some one should let tom know that this combo fits in the #4 skins, as well as everybody says . when i asked him on the phone he wasn't sure, i think leaning to them not fitting. hes seems like a very nice person. he could of well said yes to make sale but didn't. anyways i ordered them because a few of u guys that have them say they fit easly. i will post a reply when i get them to let you all know my experience with them. anybody else have some info to share would be great, any tip on getting hh and nest in skins ect.

Spock
07-06-2006, 20:46
You don't strictly have to use silnylon for snakeskins. Silnylon makes it a little easier to set up in a heavy rain if you don't put up the fly first, but most of the time, any lightweight synthetic will do. Wallyworld almost always has lightweight polyester lining material for $1 to $2 per yard.

Just Jeff
07-06-2006, 21:00
Silnylon is good b/c it's waterproof, so you can lay the hammock on wet ground while you're setting it up and not worry. But like Spock says, anything will do. I have a few sets made from regular untreated $1/yd ripstop nylon. DWR would be ok, too.

I also have some made from bugnet mesh for my tarp - easier to set up and take down, especially in wind, and since I keep it in an outer pocket I don't need to worry about the skins being waterproof. The mesh actually lets it dry a bit.

I like to hang the tarp and tighten the ridgeline tie-outs, but leave it in the skins so I can see the stars. If it looks like rain or gets windy, I'll finish staking it out. But with it already up and centered, I'm closer to protection in case I wake up to raindrops (it's happened before).

Big Guy
07-06-2006, 22:13
I have an HH Asym Deluxe. Planning on getting a KAQ underquilt. Are there any plans available to make snake skins to fit the hammock and underquilt? Big Guy

Just Jeff
07-06-2006, 22:23
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm

You'll need a bigger diameter at the wide end.

Big Guy
07-06-2006, 22:41
Thanks Just Jeff. Suggestions on estimating the amount to increase the large end? Big Guy

Spock
07-06-2006, 22:50
I've tried an underquilt with snakeskins made to order. Dumped the idea. It was bulky and didn't work well. It is harder to get the skin covered quilt/hammock combination into a stuff sack. IMHO, you don't want to store your quilt with either the tarp or the hammock. Both the tarp and the hammock will always be a little wet in the morning and some moisture will transfer to the quilt if you store them together.

Just Jeff
07-07-2006, 00:10
4-6 inches? Total guess. I'd say to get the quilt first and then estimate. If I make another set, I would like bigger ones so they don't compress the quilt so much - it's easier to pack that way.

Spock, I never used a stuff sack with the skins - I just wrap the cords around and stick the bundle into my pack. Agree on not putting the tarp in there, but I've never had a problem with a wet hammock affecting the underquilt. I can see what you're saying, though. Sounds like you have your system worked out - stick with it if you like it!

Big Guy
07-07-2006, 08:09
Thanks Just Jeff. A big help. Big Guy

Hangman
07-07-2006, 15:17
jeff, i may have asked you already but did you say the hh ultra lite backpacker and nest together, minus fly, will not fit in the #4 snake skins? some in this post said it fits easly. so i'm a little confused. i think it was dgrav that said he and his wife use this set up.. chime in all nest users. pro and con to using the nest with skins.i no that not to use with fly because of being able to set up fly/tarp first when raining ect. and not having to put wet tarp with nest.

mmendell
07-07-2006, 15:57
I'm a new UL Backpacker and Nest user myself, and have been going around with this question. I have the #4 snakeskins, and my initial exprerience was that it took some effort to get the next and hammock in there. I had planned on making the larger skins on Just Jeff's site until reading this thread.

For now, I'm planning on making a smaller pair of skins for my MacCat tarp, and either making a smaller set for the hammock, or just using the #4's without the Nest.

I guess I feel a bit safer having the quilts in silnylon stuff sacks for water protection, and should I have to pitch the hammock on the ground (God forbid), I wouldn't have the quilt to mess with.

I'm headed out here in a week or so, and upon my return, may find that my mind has changed. Who knows.

mm

DGrav
07-07-2006, 22:23
The problem we had getting the Nest and the Hammock in the #4 was that we would end up with a much of Nest sticking out as the two halves were about to meet.

I doubt I can explain the solution well in writing, but here it goes. . . . . . .

Instead of sliding the skins over the Nest and the hammock until you meet resistance and then start force feeding the Nest in to the skin. Start feeding the Nest into the Skin at the beginning.

How did I do?

mmendell
07-08-2006, 23:24
I'm fixing to make a set or 2 of snakeskins. Can anyone with the #1's (I think they fit the UL Backpacker?) suggest the size of the opening of the larger end?

Thanks

wacbzz
07-09-2006, 10:49
The problem we had getting the Nest and the Hammock in the #4 was that we would end up with a much of Nest sticking out as the two halves were about to meet.

So do you still put the Nest and your HH in the #4, with your "new" solution?

Just Jeff
07-09-2006, 11:19
jeff, i may have asked you already but did you say the hh ultra lite backpacker and nest together, minus fly, will not fit in the #4 snake skins?

I've never used #4 skins - I have Python Skins. My comment was about the DIY Python Skins on JRB's site.

But I do have the same issue about having the Nest stick out in the middle, and I found the same solution - start stuffing before they meet.

The Python Skins are somewhat tight and do a good job compressing the quilt, but this makes it kind of a stiff bundle to pack. When I make another set, it's gonna be bigger so that the bundle is loose enough to form-fit in my pack.

IIRC, Marta (posts here and at hammockcamping, but hiking SOBO right now) made some big ones to fit a PeaPod and seemed to be happy with them. Maybe she'll post an update somewhere along the way.

DGrav
07-09-2006, 12:35
So do you still put the Nest and your HH in the #4, with your "new" solution?

Yes. As long as you start feeding the Nest into the Skin at the start you are not left with a bunch of excess with no place to put it when the two skins are about to meet.

JoeHiker
07-10-2006, 15:22
I used the nest with the #4 snake skins. You can make them slide over the nest very easily if you use this little trick:

When first wrapping up the hammock, take the hammock tie-out lines and use them to wrap up and compress the nest around the hammock. they're long enough that each will cover a little over half the hammock + nest if you go around them with large loops. Once you run out of tie-out line, take the end and slip it underneath some of the wraps to keep it taut for a moment.

Then slide the snake-skin over the whole thing. With the tie-out lines holding the nest compressed a bit, the snake-skins slide over quite easily.

Hangman
07-10-2006, 15:35
thanks joe that was what i was thinking. as soon as my skins come ,which should be anyday now i will try this trick and post my results. do you still use them this way or do you find it just as easy to put the nest in its compression sack?

Hangman
07-13-2006, 16:58
ok recieved #4 skins i got the nest and hammock in skins ok using joes suggestion. the problem i see is that because the skins become so tight that they are not as flexable when putting in the pack or as i did into the stuff sack that the nest came in. the skins become very stiff and not as stuffable if that makes sense. i think if the skins were a little larger it would be a sweet set up. anybody else running into this?

wacbzz
07-14-2006, 11:59
How wide is the opening on the #4? Because if they are really tight, it might be worthwhile to make some that are larger...:-?

jgreene
07-14-2006, 12:18
Does any one make a "mini" skin or gaitor to fit over the tarp and end of the hammock to protect from rain?

jgreene

Just Jeff
07-14-2006, 12:42
Not commercially.

Check out Ray Garlington's tarp hood and hammock shirt, though.
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

NCPatrick
07-14-2006, 13:08
Not commercially.

Check out Ray Garlington's tarp hood and hammock shirt, though.
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

Well I'm disappointed. I was hoping to see a "wearable" (i.e. large shirt with tie-outs) hammock there! :banana

Just Jeff
07-14-2006, 14:16
You could make a wearable sarong/hammock. Or a kilt/hammock. Or a sling/hammock instead of a backpack.

How about a great kilt for the blanket, and a sling/hammock for the shelter. Maybe some silnylon underwear for the tarp. :eek: That'll cut some weight, but you'll be naked when you get up to pee at night.

porkbutter
07-14-2006, 22:33
You could make a wearable sarong/hammock. Or a kilt/hammock. Or a sling/hammock instead of a backpack.
Trying something different is a good idea, but I would very much advise against trying a thong/hammock. You might end up with something worse than split personality!:-?

Just Jeff
07-14-2006, 23:16
Haha - I laughed so loud my wife told me to shutup!

Hangman
07-16-2006, 20:19
just got back from 2 night section hike in pa. from rt. 183 to swarta gap. used hh and under nest with #4 skins no problem would be a little easier if they were about 1 inch bigger on big end. i did as someone suggested and wraped the hh tie out around the nest and hh first and them started to put in skins. take down time under 2 minutes first night under 1 minute second night.loved it. it was hot a hell over the weekend had to push neat to one side. got cooler during night put sleeping bag over rige line in hh which kept sleeping bag off of me but kept it just right inside hammock. slept like a baby. my friend didn't sleep as well on the pa rocks with his hubba tent !!!