PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Pole-- Swiss Gear

Asheville
07-06-2006, 07:50
Wanna try Trekking poles without spending alot of $$$. WEGNER- the maker of Swiss Army knives, makes alot of camping gear under the name SWISS GEAR. The SWISS GEAR TREKKING POLE is a 3 pc, telescopic, anti-shock, carbide tip, with a removeable rubber tip cover, a larger rubber tip and a basket.Compressed size is 26 inches and extend up to 54 inches, using the twist and lock method. You can google "Swiss Gear", or just go to ebay and search for "swiss gear trekking pole" to get good descriptions an photos. You will see that they are selling for around $20 plus shipping. BUT>>>>>>
AT WALMART THEY ARE ONLY $9.97. in the camping dept. How can you go wrong at that price. I just started using a trekking pole, (finally gave up my hiking stick of 20 plus years). I love my $10 buck trekking pole. Somewhere I read a review that the SWISS GEAR pole's are actually lighter than LEKI's.

Nightwalker
07-06-2006, 08:00
I tried a set before I got my Lekis. They were comfortable, but weighed 13 ounces apiece, and the carbide tips rounded off very fast. I would only recommend them to people that don't hike very much.

The Wicked Lobstah
11-21-2006, 17:43
Also, make sure you check them out in the store before you buy. I've picked up a few of these that did not stay put when telescoped out. Also, you can forget the basket. I guarantee it will fall off in the first mile unless you glue it on.

As an alternative, I also saw $13 poles at Target with antishock and ergonometric cork grips.

The Wicked Lobstah

Robusto
11-21-2006, 19:35
These worked fine for 28days then fell apart.

saimyoji
11-21-2006, 20:52
Mine were dead after one 6 mile hike. Carbide tips were GONE, baskets had fallen off, locking between poles started off as pretty stable, had been reduced to ricketty, shaky, wobbly felt like they were gonna scope in with each step junk.

YMMV

blackbishop351
11-21-2006, 22:55
What are you people DOING to your poles??? I've had a pair for going on two years now, and never had any problems with them. I broke the basket on one, but that was after a lot of miles of use and it was my own dumb fault anyway...

NativePennsylvanian
03-25-2007, 11:09
I used one on a 30 mile section hike. The tip snapped off somewhere between miles 20 and 30. Got it caught between two PA rocks. Still functions though, it saved me from 3 or 4 bad falls.

rafe
03-25-2007, 11:14
I've got a pair of cheap generic Lekis, still fine after about six years use. They've done about three or four hundred miles so far.

BigCat
03-25-2007, 12:44
I bought a pair of these (Swiss Gear) and so far really like them. I've done about 5 miles of steep roller coaster type hills and they seem to support my 310 lbs without issue.

Shutterbug
03-25-2007, 17:07
I keep an extra pair for when a friend goes along for a hike

The pair that I use most of the time have 10 states and at least 500 miles on them. The tips are a bit worn and they are beginning to show a few dents and scrapes but they are still functional. For less than $10, one couldn't expect more.

navy111588
03-25-2007, 19:04
im a newbie but how much do poles actually help? i've gone on plenty day hikes with no poles/problems and i am getting ready for a section hike. just wondering if i am going to regret not getting poles

rafe
03-25-2007, 19:41
im a newbie but how much do poles actually help? i've gone on plenty day hikes with no poles/problems and i am getting ready for a section hike. just wondering if i am going to regret not getting poles

Borrow a pair and see how they work out for you. They're more useful with a larger load on the back, or in highly uneven terrain. There are a few conditions where they don't work -- extremely steep slopes, for example. Also, I think you'll find that "oldsters" find them more useful (or necessary) than "youngsters."

roaddamage
03-25-2007, 20:10
I put 120 miles on my swiss gear poles, no problems with the telescoping setup, but one of my carbide tips disappeared somewhere after 60 miles. Dunno about the baskets, I took them off immediatly...don't see how they would help on dirt/rock. I just ordered some Diamondback trekking poles for the AT. I like the poles mainly because they let my arms get a piece of the action...2100 miles of leg exercise, and my arms just swinging loose would probably make me a bit unproportional.

Univega23
03-25-2007, 20:50
i have the Eddie Bauer poles that Target offers. they are 2yrs old and have over 300 miles on them with no issues. i secured the baskets with silicone sealer. they can be removed with a bit of effort but normal hiking they stay put just fine.. the main thing is to get poles that you like and are comfortable with. they can be 9.00 poles or 100.00 its really up to your preference

atkentucky
03-27-2007, 03:07
If you are on a long hike all polls will bend or break regardless of brand. The nice thing about Leki's is that you get free replacement at most of the outfitters. I had to replace the bottom shaft of my poles 2x each during my hike.

Asheville
03-27-2007, 08:18
Seems that there are alot of thoughts on the Swiss Gear poles.( I tossed the baskets) I originally posted this info, as some folks may like to try hiking poles, yet be a bit wobbley of spending a lot of money. If, After trying them out, you find you like hiking poles, you may want to invest in some top of the line poles. The $20 pair of cheap ones are always good for a back up, a friend to use, or pass them on to someone who may like to try poles. Any pole no matter the price may bend or break , be mindful of ALL your gear. As for me Im going to try and make a Tyvek and Swiss Gear Pole tent!:D

Lanthar Mandragoran
03-27-2007, 12:58
Seems that there are alot of thoughts on the Swiss Gear poles.( I tossed the baskets) I originally posted this info, as some folks may like to try hiking poles, yet be a bit wobbley of spending a lot of money. If, After trying them out, you find you like hiking poles, you may want to invest in some top of the line poles. The $20 pair of cheap ones are always good for a back up, a friend to use, or pass them on to someone who may like to try poles. Any pole no matter the price may bend or break , be mindful of ALL your gear. As for me Im going to try and make a Tyvek and Swiss Gear Pole tent!:D

*whistles* :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I had in mind to do soon... ;)

vipahman
03-27-2007, 13:09
I use my poles for hiking, skiing, breaking trail in winter and tent setup. It's still good after 2 years.

spittinpigeon
03-27-2007, 13:19
I don't get the big deal with tips. My swiss gear poles made it all the way through my thru-hike. I compared them to the backups I had at home and about two inches of pole is gone on the tip, it never held me back.

jkrumrine
09-10-2007, 09:33
I use the SwissGear poles and have not had many problems with them. But, I lost a basket this weekend on a trek across the Presidential Range in New Hampshire. I bought them at Walmart but they do not carry replacement baskests. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Grouse
09-10-2007, 09:49
At that price, just buy another new pole with basket.

horicon
09-12-2007, 16:11
Some times I use "old" down hill ski poles as treking poles as back up. They work when you are in a bind.

Shutterbug
09-13-2007, 18:54
I use the SwissGear poles and have not had many problems with them. But, I lost a basket this weekend on a trek across the Presidential Range in New Hampshire. I bought them at Walmart but they do not carry replacement baskests. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The replacement basket problem is easily resolved. Just keep your eyes open. I have lost several, but I have also found several on the trail. It all evens out in the long run.

My Swiss Gear poles have lasted two years and several hundred miles. I gave them away after I completed hiking the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim. I met a guy who was just headed into the canyon without poles. I gave him mine.

I bought some more expensive poles to replace the Swiss Gear, but I certainly got my money's worth from the original pair.

Doc_of_the_bay
09-16-2007, 16:49

Contact customer service at Wenger. (I found the contact info on their web site.) They'll sell you replacement baskets for $1 apiece. Rubber tips are also $1.

dessertrat
09-17-2007, 16:57
I am taking a pair of these with me next week for a weeklong hike on the AT. I will give a full report on how they hold up.

(What ever happened to the olden dayse, when you just used a stick until it broke, and then found another?)

Appalachian Tater
09-17-2007, 16:59
If you keep your eyes open, you will find plenty of baskets and a few tips along the trail.

scouter603
01-14-2008, 16:39
Just received a pair of these for Christmas. They are the model with cork grips and anti-shock. They seem fine so far, but I can't figure out how to turn the anti-shock feature off. The poles have a "LOCK and UNLOCK" arrows beneath the Anti-Shock logo, but so far - no luck. Any guidance is appreciated.

jhick
01-24-2008, 15:39
Just received a pair of these for Christmas. They are the model with cork grips and anti-shock. They seem fine so far, but I can't figure out how to turn the anti-shock feature off. The poles have a "LOCK and UNLOCK" arrows beneath the Anti-Shock logo, but so far - no luck. Any guidance is appreciated.

That only unlocks the pole length adjustment, not the anti-shock. I've had a pair for almost a year. I haven't had any problems other than getting stuck in some PA rocks and bending the end some. I bent it back in shape without a problem. They are great to see if you like using poles without the $$$$$. If you move on to better poles, you have a backup to throw in the trunk.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2008, 18:48
I don't think locking the anti-shock mechanism is a feature, but will have to take a look at mine. I hate the shocks, if I can lock them that would be great.

Shutterbug
01-24-2008, 22:12

Keep an eye on the trail. There seem to be a lot of the SwissGear baskets along well used trails. I have picked up several of them.

SunnyWalker
01-25-2008, 00:16
I used a pair of the Swiss Gear poles you are talking about for a week on the AT in GA this last July. I came away with all parts intact (on the poles). Tips were a bit blunted or not as sharp but I expected that with use. I feel I can get new tips. I plan on keep using them. Good buy. -SunnyWalker

alverhootzt
05-13-2008, 23:44
I was so surprised to find this thread here. I saw those poles at Wal-Mart but put them back on the shelf when I saw the tag that said they were not made to withstand your full weight. Yikes. But maybe I should reconsider...

sofaking
05-13-2008, 23:52
i like mine. i threw the baskets in my junk drawer, they're for snow anyway. i promptly took off and lost the rubber end caps- those are for crutches and canes-, and have had no complaints putting miles on them. no hiking poles are made to support your full weight, again those are crutches and canes.

KnowledgeEngine
05-14-2008, 00:34
I like the rubber tip for 2 purposes. 1) protect tip from asphalt & concrete 2) Protect the trail in sensitive areas from tip scrapes.

I hiked 20 miles on my swissgears. Both the baskets now lost in woods. On second hike, completed the process of bending both poles in mid-section. I plan on buying a pair of oblong black diamond poles(much less likely to bend). I found the SwissGear poles to be very wobbly, and did not trust them completely fording streams.

Captain
05-14-2008, 01:24
i have had one of these break on me , i was able to fix it with a small phililps head screw driver im assuming it broke becuase it was turned too much to LOOSEN the pole and allow it to extend when you loosen it it twists a plastic piece up the thread " like a nut on a bolt" and doing it too far again i assume twisted off the screw and washer that was supposed to hold it into place i pulled the pole and the thread assembly out re attached it and it " works" again , reason i say " works" is cuase its really rough telescoping not smooth like it used to be HOWEVER i attribute this to me wiping off the lube in order to work with the assembly...wow i actually made a meaningful post.. thats a first for me

atraildreamer
05-14-2008, 15:20
My local Walmart has them in a 2-pack for $14.97. :sun

What do you think of the Ozark Trails equipment that they carry?

sofaking
05-14-2008, 15:22
My local Walmart has them in a 2-pack for $14.97. :sun

What do you think of the Ozark Trails equipment that they carry?
it's generally crap of a lower quality than even swiss gear. but damn, if i had waited i could have saved $5 on my swiss gear sticks...

OwlsRevenge
05-14-2008, 17:04
what's the purpose of the "basket"....

snow?

eggs?

flowers?

:)

seriously though....

thanks

Captain
05-14-2008, 18:57
the "basket" keeps it from sinking too much into soft soil

sofaking
05-14-2008, 19:48
the basket is for taking off and playing frisbee...then you leave it on the trail so that it can re-join the herd and start the annual 'swiss gear pole basket migration'...an arduous and epic journey back to their homeland...

Captain
05-14-2008, 19:51
which just so happens to be where ever that particular hike is too?

Compass
05-14-2008, 20:23
Try not using the straps. If they get caught in a crack you can just let go instead of bending them with your momentom. People new to trecking poles sometimes trip on them because they are attached to them by the strap.

Baskets are not necessary. I hiked with them for the first 350 miles until I realized that 90% of the time the basket was what caught.

Swiss Gear pole tips lasted 600 miles before I was down to aluminum. The sentimental value is in the well worn comfy grip so I cannabalized new ones for the end section twice and still cheaper than Leki's

SunnyWalker
06-14-2008, 14:00
I found that every once in awhile I would juct check the basket and screw it on tight again. Like once every other day. Worked great. I am sure I would be checking over more expensive ones if I had them also.

abbaschild45
12-31-2008, 17:29
the basket is for taking off and playing frisbee...then you leave it on the trail so that it can re-join the herd and start the annual 'swiss gear pole basket migration'...an arduous and epic journey back to their homeland...

LOL...i registered so I could respond...this is the best post:)

Greb
12-31-2008, 23:07
I bought a set to try out using poles while hiking. I found I actually enjoyed it and that they did help me over rough and steep terrain. The downside is one of the locking mechanism broke the 3rd time I used them. Now I will be buying a better pair but at least I know I LIKE THEM.

Worldwide
01-01-2009, 08:37
If you aren't sure whether you will like poles. Outfitters that carry Leki brand get "demo sets" meaning let someone try them out first to see if it works for them. These are designated with a "demo not for resale" sticker on them or some verbiage very similar. Try em out you won't be disappointed

Check every hiker box you see these baskets fall off like it was their job, and I pick up atleast one every 2 days.

Worldwide

Jaybird62
01-01-2009, 10:45
I bought a set to try out using poles while hiking. I found I actually enjoyed it and that they did help me over rough and steep terrain. The downside is one of the locking mechanism broke the 3rd time I used them. Now I will be buying a better pair but at least I know I LIKE THEM.

I had the same problem with mine. I took the poles apart and wrapped some paper towel around the locking cam part and they tightened up when I put them back together. Now I just leave the part that I fixed extended and shorten and lengthen them with the other adjuster.

Tinker
01-01-2009, 11:13
WE(NG)ER distributes tents, watches, and sleeping bags. I doubt that they manufacture anything but the knives, themselves. It appears that they are seeking the middle to low end market with their sleeping bags and the middle with their tents. If they do, indeed, make the Swissgear poles, or even spec them for distribution under their name, they missed the mark, in my opinion.
Swiss...........(fill in the blank) for a trade name, doesn't have to mean that there's anything Swiss about it, never mind whether it's made by Wenger or Victorinox (I like their knives better, just for the can opener, but that's just me), or any other company based in Switzerland with an actual factory on Swiss soil.
First timers looking at trekking poles should look at clearing houses like Sierra Trading post for brand name poles, forget the anti-shock feature (deadens the feel which tells your hand whether you got a good "bite" or not), or just buy some old downhill ski poles at a yard sale to give it a try.
Some people just don't like them. I let people try mine whenever I hike. They take some getting used to.

Tinker
01-01-2009, 11:15
Question - Does anyone who owns these poles know whether they are seamless or not? A seam can make tubing much weaker.

Mountain Dog
01-31-2009, 21:18
I've been exposed to at least 10 swiss gear poles and all but one failed almost immediately. The telescoping mechanism failed after anywher from one to 5 adjustments. Adjust them in the store and then do not mess with them and they will get you through. Pay a couple of bucks more ant get the EB from Target if you want something cheap untill you are sure you want poles. As for me, I will not go into the mountains without good sticks.

B.Woods
01-31-2009, 22:02
I have had mine for over 4 years. They have never failed me. I have not collapsed them since I bought them. It seems to me the the locking mechanism is the weakest link so I do not collapse.

Bobby

Kickin' Wing
02-26-2009, 19:11
3rd day on the Maine 100-Mile, they broke. Worthless.

sly dog
02-26-2009, 20:04
I bought a pair and good for the money but not for full time use. I used them thru Maryland, then thru NJ, some of PA then when I did CT they broke near the end on the way into MA. The poles never broke, it was the locking part that gave in, now they wont collapse. Not bad for 3-4 states so they are good for part time hikers but now I am pickin up some leki's.

medicjimr
03-10-2009, 14:58
Well I contacted swiss gear since I kept loosing there baskets and was informed they do not manufacture them just there name is marketed on them. Hope this helps

Ekul
03-10-2009, 15:36
90 miles on mine. dont unscrew the sections too far or the little nut that hold the compression fitting will fall off the bolt. Not a big fan of poles. lightend my load and I make better pace and time keeping rhythm with my arms. I now trek with one that stays on the pack most of the time until sharp downhills. going up hill is just too much of a workout with poles and makes me burn out quicker. Hell they are cheap if they break take em back. Its wally world for christs sake they return s*** they dont sell. u can buy 5 pairs or more for what the expensive poles go for.

Shutterbug
03-10-2009, 17:05

Each time I have lost a basket, I have found one lost by someone else. There seem to be plenty of them available on the trails.

buzzamania
03-23-2009, 03:43
I bought a pair of these swiss gear poles from walmart and the twist lock was non functional before I even had a chance to try em. I took em back and a week later they put out a different version, by Outdoor Products that has a Black Diamond type locking mechanism between pole segments. I've logged about 50 miles or so on the Florida trail and have really enjoyed them. I will be taking these on my June Springer to Unicoi gap section.

SunnyWalker
04-01-2009, 22:49
Tinker: I jsut checked my set and there is no seam on the side of each tubing.

glad777
04-02-2009, 01:22
There are true carbon fiber Swiss Gear pole available now at Sam's. They wieght about one pound for the pair. They are very strong poles as well. They seem to be as good at staying extended as Lekis. Much better than Komperdel/REI poles.

MoBill122
04-02-2009, 10:41
Like someone above said.... Good Lord, what do you people do to your poles !??! Mine are a year old, with over 700 miles on them, and I've had no problems at all. I did lose a basket, but picked one off the trail and learned you better glue them on.

I keep my baskets on, as they save your a$$ from going down in muddy ground... or you stick it in a soft spot .

I always thought hiking poles were made to help balance you, and provide additional help digging up a hill.... NOT to pole vault over creeks with or something. They arent made to support your full body weight.

Some of you need to use a " Paul Bunyan Staft " or something
... maybe a 2" x 4" x 6' <G>

SunnyWalker
04-02-2009, 23:41
yeah, MoBill. I agree. Cheeeeeesssssh . . . . .

Elder
04-03-2009, 00:37
YES Trekking Poles ARE made to hold body weight!
Check Leki's strength ratings.
Why else would you have them?

Everything else is a "Starter" pole

J-Fro
09-08-2009, 00:27
Been through 2 sets of Swiss Gear poles. Carbide tip wore very quickly, within 30miles on all 4 poles. Tip broke off on one of the poles after about mile 60 of 90mile section hike. Two of the other individual pole would not collapse and with slight force they broke and would not lock anymore. They are inexpensive, but you are getting what you pay for...my advise is go with Leki.

FlyPaper
09-08-2009, 09:38
I used the same poles from Wal-Mart. The baskets fell off after about 200 trial miles (spread over several section hikes). The cork handles began to fall off too. The telescoping mechanism worked fine. The tips were wearing out, but I don't see how that mattered.

Overall, I got my money's worth, although I'd be interested in learning about poles that could last longer. I just replaced my SwissGear poles with $20 poles from Target.

gunner76
01-01-2010, 12:07
I got a pair of the Swiss poles from Wally World. They would not stay extended, kept collapsing on me so I took a couple of self tapping metal screws and now they do not collapse. Used them on a hike and worked great ( I weigh 290). I will upgrade when these wear out.

Monkey's Fist
01-01-2010, 18:36
Check out...Campmor Peak Challenger Trekking Poles Made By Komperdell...$50...I got a pair in early 2008...used them for a shake-down 50 mile hike prep'ing for a Philmont Scout Ranch hike that summer. Have also used them on other hikes since. While not the lightest out there...9oz each...and no "shock-system"...these have held up nicely. The Tungsten/Carbide Flex Tips have barely any wear and the angled grips/straps work well. Never have had any slippage at the joints. Real work-horse poles and great for saving the knees and preventing falls on downhills.

Schuetzen
01-01-2010, 18:49
I bought the Swiss Gear poles from Wally World to see if I would like using poles, I did like using them but the Wally World poles were junk and were falling apart in a few miles. I took them back and got my money back and bought Leki poles. I recommend that if you don't know if you will like using poles buy a set from Wally World and try them either way they will probably fall apart and then take them back for a refund and buy good ones if you like using them.

Wolfmaan
01-01-2010, 18:53
I hike with a set of Schratt Trekking poles I got cheap off eBay. They lasted me over 1,000km of hiking in 2009.

I've never tried SwissGear poles. If they do break down on you, I'd send them back for repair as most of their stuff has a warranty on it.

sleepyzzz
01-23-2010, 14:40
newbie here, and just thought i would ask about the Swiss Gear Carbon Lite treking poles. i have a dealer that sells overstocks and returns from big retail stores, and just scored a pair for $18.

which i thought was a great price, but now i am not so sure.
anyone have these and what about the problems others have listed?

went thru boy scouts with my first son, and kind of got away from backpacking and hiking.

now my eleven year old has me back in it.

wirerat123
04-07-2010, 09:48
I've had my Swiss Gear poles for about 5 years, never had an issue with the locking mechanism, never had a basket fall off, still have enough tip to keep using them, and no bends or breaks. They've even been split into singles to give someone else a pole to take off some of their weight so single poles taking more weight and still no failures. Apparently I got one of the better sets or something.

With the locking mechanism never twist them more than needed to adjust them and they'll never fail. Twist them nice and tight once you get them to length. My baskets screw on, I have yet to have one come loose unless I removed it myself. I threw the rubber tips in the trash after their first hike.

These make fine poles if you aren't overly rough on poles. Like another poster said, these things aren't for pole vaulting over creeks.

Also take a look, they now have Outdoor products poles with a manual lock feature that works really well. The only downfall to these poles from my experience is harder less comfy grips and crappy straps.

tech30528
04-26-2010, 20:57
Yup, I've had mine for years and never had a problem. I've done all of Georgia a couple of times (day trips and long weekends). I've found they are also good for tubing. Good for pushing off the rocks or redirecting a tree limb here and there. My stepson got one stuck between a couple of rocks and snapped it off. We laughed, because it was just a $10 pole.

I've been an auto tech for over 20 years. There are tools you spend good money on, and those you don't. Buy good boots, buy cheap poles. When I see a mechanic with a huge toolbox with everything in it straight off the tool truck, I'm not impressed. It doesn't mean he's a good mechanic, it means either his priorities are screwed up or he's a noob with a high credit balance. Same goes for hikers. I carry $10 poles, two of my packs are from WalMart (the other is a Kelty), my favorite stove used to be a Pepsi can, and I carry a $600 pistol. It's all about knowing the difference between price and value.

J5man
04-26-2010, 21:20
i have the Eddie Bauer poles that Target offers. they are 2yrs old and have over 300 miles on them with no issues. i secured the baskets with silicone sealer. they can be removed with a bit of effort but normal hiking they stay put just fine.. the main thing is to get poles that you like and are comfortable with. they can be 9.00 poles or 100.00 its really up to your preference

I have these also because I didn't want to sink a lot of money into something I might not like. They have worked great. Not as light as some of the newfangled ones for the gram counters but for the average hiker like myself they were a good investment. I bought them for $15 a piece.

Corporal_Dusty
06-14-2010, 09:46
I'll chime in here too. Seems there's both ends of the satisfaction spectrum here. I have had my Swiss Gear poles for over 2 years now. Take them everywhere with me. I scrap the baskets unless I know I'm going to need them, then I'll throw them on. I've been on many hikes and put a ton of miles on them with no issues. I readjust and collapse mine all the time depending on terrain (sometimes I just collapse them and throw 'em in my pack if it's easy terrain and I don't really want to use them) and have had no issues. Just took them on a trek on the AT here in NY not too long ago. No issues at all. They've even saved my tail from a few slips without bending or breaking (yes, my full body weight on one, granted I'm 140 soaken wet plus my pack). I'm not a gram/ounce counter and I LOVE my Swiss poles. Will use them until they break on me, which at this rate may be awhile. Tips are showing a little wear, but that is to be expected.

J-Fro
06-14-2010, 10:17
I've been an auto tech for over 20 years. There are tools you spend good money on, and those you don't. Buy good boots, buy cheap poles. When I see a mechanic with a huge toolbox with everything in it straight off the tool truck, I'm not impressed. It doesn't mean he's a good mechanic, it means either his priorities are screwed up or he's a noob with a high credit balance. Same goes for hikers. I carry $10 poles, two of my packs are from WalMart (the other is a Kelty), my favorite stove used to be a Pepsi can, and I carry a $600 pistol. It's all about knowing the difference between price and value.

To each their own I suppose. Agree with you on the tools analogy, however, to me hiking poles are important tools. Can't tell you how many wasted poles I've seen on the trail. Also can't tell you how many times a good set of poles have saved me from falling on a knee or butt.

I have a good pair of Leki, you don't have to break the bank, just have to be a smart astute shopper. Agree with you on a quality pistol too!!

jtbradyl
07-13-2010, 21:41
That way when you come to a stream just wave it to the heavens, invoke God's direction and hopefully the waters will part. If not jump in. At least it will float if you lose your grip. Didn't cost anything, comes in any size necessary and need not be stowed when not needed.

Sierra Echo
07-13-2010, 22:41
I bought a set of wally world trekking poles today. I do believe I have the potential to be dangerous with these things!
What part is the basket?

gunner76
07-14-2010, 15:13
That way when you come to a stream just wave it to the heavens, invoke God's direction and hopefully the waters will part

Too much trouble, I just walk on water :D

All kidding a side I went on quick over night camp out a couple of weekends ago and forgot my sticks. Felt lost with out them.