PDA

View Full Version : Wayah Gap - State Rd. 1310

gregdog
07-06-2006, 09:10
Hello, looking to do a long weekend trip from Wayah Gap to the NOC, then paddle the river and go home. Sometime early Sept. Does anyone know how easy it is to get a shuttle or ride to state rd. 1310? I e-mailed the NOC about leaving a vehicle there, haven't heard back yet from them. Also, it looks like Winding Stair Gap may be easier to get to on 64?
thanks,
greg

little bear
07-06-2006, 10:23
If you call the saffire hotel in Franklin NC and ask for the owner Ron Haven he will give you a shuttle ride. He is one of the hiker angels in this area. He loves helping hikers out. you can also send him a personel massage on this website, his screen name is Tiamalle. I am sure he will do what he can to help. That is a nice hike I did it in December from Winding Stair to the NOC. Have fun.

Happy Hike
Little Bear

Midway Sam
07-06-2006, 11:16
I did the Wayah Gap to NOC section last September. Ron Haven provided a shuttle and was great. He was on time and delivered us safely to the trail and even kept us entertained along the way with great stories. Give him a call!

Hikerhead
07-06-2006, 14:01
I did this and more last weekend. Parked at the NOC up the hill near the Bunk House. I called them first and they said no problem, park there. My impression was there's no need to ask, just park there.

I arranged with Ron Haven for a shuttle. He sent Bill to pick me up and drove me past Standing Indian Campground where I got on the AT using the Beech Gap Trail.

64 is probably about the best place to get on the trail in this section using a shuttle.

And don't let the profile map tell you it's all downhill from Wesser Bald. I counted 14 PUD's. What I thought was going to be my easiest day, the last one going down to the NOC, ended up being a killer.

The trail is getting a litte bushy in places but all the springs were flowing good. The bugs were out in force. And surprisingly, the trail was almost void of other hikers.

Have a great hike.

gregdog
07-07-2006, 08:01
Thanks for the info. I will give Ron a call and set this up for me and my boys.
greg

tiamalle
07-07-2006, 23:24
For you southern summer hikers around Franklin,NC if I can be of assistance call me 828-524-4403 and here are my websites http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m278-1-1-1-s&reset=1 thanks.Ron Haven (tiamalle)

Ridge
07-08-2006, 02:54
Well, its about 27 miles from NOC to Wayah Gap, another 4 miles to the summit, Wayah Bald, on a FS gravel road. You should be able to catch a ride for a six pack from someone at the river (if its on a good day) or you can simply pay. I would try to catch a lift to the summit. Its a lot closer if you want to begin your hike at Burningtown Gap, good road too.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2006, 05:11
Well, its about 27 miles from NOC to Wayah Gap, another 4 miles to the summit, Wayah Bald, on a FS gravel road. You should be able to catch a ride for a six pack from someone at the river (if its on a good day) or you can simply pay. I would try to catch a lift to the summit. Its a lot closer if you want to begin your hike at Burningtown Gap, good road too.
It's 21 miles from NOC to Wayah gap.

Ridge
07-08-2006, 05:55
It's 21 miles from NOC to Wayah gap.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was trying to help him catch a shuttle up to Wayah via the highway.

Yea, if he could get the shuttle to take the trail he'd save the guy a few miles, but that car sure will look like hell when it gets to Wayah.