PDA

View Full Version : Arm and Leg Warmers?

the_iceman
07-06-2006, 14:38
Has anyone tried arm or leg warmers on the trail? I bike a lot and did a week in the Alps last year and found these nifty light weight things a necessity.

Just like on the trail you always start out a little cold on a bike and steam up climbing. Mountain tops are usually windy and colder. You have self-imposed wind chill on a bike as well but the need to add and remove warmth is the same. In both cases you want to avoid constant stops and packing and unpacking clothes.

Arm warmers can just be rolled to the wrists if you think you will need them again or stuck in a pocket. Leg warmers are a little more trouble but would still roll off over boots and fit in a packet without taking off you pack. Pearl Izumi makes some really light stuff.

Think of it like turning a t-shirt into a long sleeve shirt or shorts into pants only with less weight and hassle.

hikerjohnd
07-06-2006, 15:15
Has anyone tried arm or leg warmers on the trail? I bike a lot and did a week in the Alps last year and found these nifty light weight things a necessity.

Just like on the trail you always start out a little cold on a bike and steam up climbing. Mountain tops are usually windy and colder. You have self-imposed wind chill on a bike as well but the need to add and remove warmth is the same. In both cases you want to avoid constant stops and packing and unpacking clothes.

Arm warmers can just be rolled to the wrists if you think you will need them again or stuck in a pocket. Leg warmers are a little more trouble but would still roll off over boots and fit in a packet without taking off you pack. Pearl Izumi makes some really light stuff.

Think of it like turning a t-shirt into a long sleeve shirt or shorts into pants only with less weight and hassle.

I suppose this is the same principle as zip-off pant legs. I do not have any, I just usually tough it out in the AM until things warm up. In the PM, I am usually at camp and pull out a shirt. Do you have any pics of the ones you used? Interesting concept and might mean not needing to carry extra pants for chilly times... :-?

the_iceman
07-06-2006, 20:39
Try this link to peral Izumi

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=514

Also
http://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?mode=category&category_id=11&type_id=1&sport_id=5

for toerh stuff