PDA

View Full Version : Want to be a THRU-HIKER?..Read This First

Ridge
07-06-2006, 19:14
http://www.backpacker.com/classictrails/sidebar_odds.html

Read at the bottom of the article "Tips for completing your thru-hike "

This article even has a few lines mentioning WB member Jack Tarlin.

dperry
07-09-2006, 22:41
http://www.backpacker.com/classictrails/sidebar_odds.html

Read at the bottom of the article "Tips for completing your thru-hike "

This article even has a few lines mentioning WB member Jack Tarlin.

Actually, if you click the "Back to Classic Trails Homepage" at the bottom, and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll find an entire interview with Jack.

dperry
07-09-2006, 22:52
In the section about planning your trip on the AT, there is also an interactive map with Jack's recommendations for the best towns to stop in.

In the first article that Ridge linked to, there are also quotes from The Hiker Who Must Not Be Named (hint: starts with a W). :rolleyes:

Just Jeff
07-09-2006, 23:17
...The Hiker Who Must Not Be Named (hint: starts with a W).

Rhymes with "butt"...

(at least his nickname does)

Ramble~On
07-10-2006, 06:27
[quote=Just Jeff]Rhymes with "butt"...

Yeah, mine eyes are still burning from the mere mention and qoute.

RITBlake
07-10-2006, 09:44
I think Backpacker did a pretty good thing here. They spent a good amount of time and they present some good practical advice. Just don't rely on their gear section of the articles. Nice collection of articles and interviews though

fiddlehead
07-10-2006, 22:20
If you are really serious about completing a thru-hike, you should know before you start whether you are going to finish or not. It depends on how serious you are. It's more "Head than Heel" (who said that?)

Someone asked a group of 7 hikers at the beginning (1st day) of a thru-hike in '98: "Are you going to complete the whole trail?" to each person, individually,
5 of the people answered: "We'll see what happens" or "take it one day at a time" or the like.
the other 2 people said "yes, I am"
well, 2 of the 7 made it that year, want to guess which ones?
(that was a CDT hike although it doesn't really make a difference)

Almost There
07-11-2006, 15:30
Someone asked a group of 7 hikers at the beginning (1st day) of a thru-hike in '98: "Are you going to complete the whole trail?" to each person, individually,
5 of the people answered: "We'll see what happens" or "take it one day at a time" or the like.
the other 2 people said "yes, I am"
well, 2 of the 7 made it that year, want to guess which ones?
(that was a CDT hike although it doesn't really make a difference)

Doesn't make a difference? Have you ever hiked in the rockies? Don't even begin to compare hiking the CDT to the AT. That's like saying there isn't much difference between living in Damascus and living in NYC.

There are so many factors outside a hikers control that can end a hike on the CDT vs. the AT.

Now that being said, I agree that mental factors and attitude matters the most when it comes to completing the trail.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 15:46
The AT is like the interstate of trails, well marked and groomed, guides for each exit, lodging along the trail, etc, other trails might require a little more 4 wheel drive, roughing it, and research, trails are as different as highways they all have their different scenery, weather and path conditions.

fiddlehead
07-11-2006, 21:11
Doesn't make a difference? Have you ever hiked in the rockies? Don't even begin to compare hiking the CDT to the AT. That's like saying there isn't much difference between living in Damascus and living in NYC.

There are so many factors outside a hikers control that can end a hike on the CDT vs. the AT.

Now that being said, I agree that mental factors and attitude matters the most when it comes to completing the trail.

Oh, i don't agree. I don't think it matters what trail you are hiking, even if it's a 3 mile loop trail that gets tough as you go. If you know in your head that you are going to complete it, you have a MUCH better chance of completing it than the person who thinks: well, we'll see what happens.
Whether its the rockies, pyrenees, himalayas, andes, cascades, or Appalacians, it's still "More head than heel!"

Ridge
07-12-2006, 00:57
"More head than heel" goes just so far. This probably is more true for the experienced hiker than newbies. I failed completing the PCT because of a feeling of obligation to my hiking partner and too much time had elapsed, due to injuries my cousin had, who was inexperienced. I was in the proper mindset to finish when I started, but frustration set in and time became a factor and we had to call it quits. My cousin went thru weeks of suffering out of obligation to me, not from wanting to complete the trail. It's best to have a pre-agreed plan of whats to happen when a partner has an injury or one is much slower than the other.

fiddlehead
07-12-2006, 21:45
"More head than heel" goes just so far. This probably is more true for the experienced hiker than newbies. I failed completing the PCT because of a feeling of obligation to my hiking partner and too much time had elapsed, due to injuries my cousin had, who was inexperienced. I was in the proper mindset to finish when I started, but frustration set in and time became a factor and we had to call it quits. My cousin went thru weeks of suffering out of obligation to me, not from wanting to complete the trail. It's best to have a pre-agreed plan of whats to happen when a partner has an injury or one is much slower than the other.

So, go try it again, with the philosophy that you ARE going to complete the whole thing this time. You'll have a much better chance of completing your goal.

saimyoji
07-13-2006, 00:05
and don't forget to post the pics! :p

Ridge
07-13-2006, 02:43
and don't forget to post the pics! :p

Not everyone post pictures and even if they all did, I'll not post mine. I'm not hung up on being an exhibitionist or braggart like some of you and I don't give a *** if you've hiked around the world and use the AT as a warm-up, I'm here to pass along helpful info to new people, since a few of you already know-it all and have it on film maybe you should consider starting your own trail conference or at least web-site and compare photos with your heads up each others butts. You can't make a legitimate argument for carrying a mutt on the trail so you try to intimidate in other ways, I'll not go away like Warren Doyle did!

fiddlehead
07-13-2006, 02:48
WOW, on second thought, maybe it was your stress level that had something to do with your not finishing. Chill out bro!

Ridge
07-13-2006, 02:51
In reply to an earlier post concerning photos, I'm firing off a letter to the "American Hiking Society", I'll not give my money to any organization that has an official running around calling me a Phony!!!! They sure don't need money from a Phony!!!

Skidsteer
07-13-2006, 06:06
Not everyone post pictures and even if they all did, I'll not post mine.....

Not to put too fine a point on it, Ridge, but...what happened to this promise to post photos?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=182073&highlight=apologize#post18 2073

Yes, not everyone has photos in their gallery. But their credibility is not in question, Ridge. Yours is.