PDA

View Full Version : Learn Wilderness Survival Skills at the Roots Farm

Tha Wookie
07-06-2006, 19:57
I tried to get rid of the bold text I swear...

Ancient Wilderness and Survival Skills July Workshops

Make your next walk in the woods or overnight backpacking trip more fulfilling by practicing ancient wilderness skills. Join local instructors Scott Jones, Bill Burt, Carl Lindberg, and Nate “Tha Wookie” Olive to learn about medicinal and edible plants, primitive fire making, navigation, natural shelter building, basket weaving, stone knapping, and much more. Hosted by the Roots Farm in Winterville, GA.

July 22, 23, 30, & 31st

Pre-register soon with Nate at 706.534.5033 or visit us online at www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm (http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm) for more info. The weekend workshop series dates are July 22,23,30, & 31st. A portion of the proceeds go directly to local organic farming.

Ridge
07-06-2006, 20:01
I'm not motivated to do any searching. so....HOW MUCH DOES IT COST????

dreamhiker
07-06-2006, 20:17
Intermediate (1 & 2): $20 each day*
"Roots Skills" Campout: $85 weekend* (includes Sat. dinner) *payment covers all materials, instruction, & preparation costs. At least 10% goes directly to the Roots Farm community garden.

Tha Wookie
07-06-2006, 21:08
I'm not motivated to do any searching. so....HOW MUCH DOES IT COST????

For the past 5 courses, we've held a 1:2 student/teacher ratio. The fee is an incredible deal for what you learn. This is really a "bare bones" price that helps us cover these regionally-known instructors and our other costs. These people do this out of love for primitive arts. I do not profit from it personally, just for the record.

In addition to what was just quoted from our site above, there is the "total package" price below:

Total Package: Sign up by July 19th, 7pm and get all three workshops for $100

or pay for each course individually:

Intermediate (1 & 2): $20 each day*
"Roots Skills" Campout: $85 weekend* (includes Sat. dinner)
*payment covers all materials, instruction, & preparation costs. At least 10% goes directly to the Roots Farm community garden.

You can read all about it at www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm (http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm)

Lone Wolf
07-06-2006, 22:37
Why learn something that damn near 100% of human beings will never use? And pay $ for it? Seriously.

Tha Wookie
07-06-2006, 22:57
Why learn something that damn near 100% of human beings will never use? And pay $ for it? Seriously.

Come to the course and you'll find out. I use these skills every single day on the trail and off.

:) great question wolf!

neo
07-06-2006, 22:59
my ideal of survival training:cool: neo
http://www.survival.com/

http://www.ak47bayonets.com/pic/010-043.jpg

Lone Wolf
07-06-2006, 23:01
I'll bring my black helicopter.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2006, 23:03
Wookie AKA Tom Brown:rolleyes: :D Scam

Tha Wookie
07-06-2006, 23:54
Wookie AKA Tom Brown:rolleyes: :D Scam

haha ... good to know you're out there always with the positive encouragement wolf.

I'm certainly no Tom Brown or any other figure like him, nor I do I ever think I will be. I am an insignificant ant compared to Tom and so many others in regards to backcountry skills. But I do share his love for passing on some on the skills that have persisted for over 10,000 years on this continent that enable us to survive and prosper in the wild. Scott Jones and Bill Burt, two of our instructors, also share that love, yet have over 40 years each of experience with wilderness, survival, and primitive skills.

I encourage you and enyone else who can afford them to attend Tom Brown's classes. Here's one he's offering on one of the same weekends: http://www.trackerschool.com/class_template_details_new.asp?id=1&tid=2&classid=667

One of our instructors learned directly from Tom and his staff. Another learned from a man who was taken into the Lakota Indian Nation after he fought in Vietnam. Island Mama and I learned from Ray and Jenny Jardine (who learned from Tom). But I think it's safe to say that we've all learned the most from nature directly. We've been lucky to have had magnificent guides, who have not given us the right answers, but rather taught us how to ask the right questions.

If you'd like to come wolf, I'd love to have you visit.

By the way, you can find some answers to your previous question at Scott's website, http://www.mediaprehistoria.com/

If you want to learn more about our classes, visit: www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm (http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm)

Ridge
07-07-2006, 00:12
Will alcohol be served at this function and will firearms be allowed?

Tha Wookie
07-07-2006, 00:20
Will alcohol be served at this function and will firearms be allowed?

It depends... you buying?

Amigi'sLastStand
07-08-2006, 04:30
Questions:
Have any of the instructors ever used wilderness survival? As in, did they need to use it, or decide to go and and really try it?

Is this a complete course, or a neat arts and crafts class?

What kind of survival skills will be taught and for what topography/geography/enviroments?

I mean these in all seriousness, Tha Wookie. I am highly sceptical of all wilderness survival teachers. Most have never used what they teach and couldnt do so without a days prep and a run to walmart. When the names start a droppin', the my BS meter starts a hoppin'. I've found scouts who complete the first two sections of Orde of the Arrow are more skilled than most "survival instructors".

Sly
07-08-2006, 05:58
Need some help for the Virgin Islands workshop? I'll work cheap! ;)

Tha Wookie
07-08-2006, 12:38
Questions:
Have any of the instructors ever used wilderness survival? As in, did they need to use it, or decide to go and and really try it?

Is this a complete course, or a neat arts and crafts class?

What kind of survival skills will be taught and for what topography/geography/enviroments?

I mean these in all seriousness, Tha Wookie. I am highly sceptical of all wilderness survival teachers. Most have never used what they teach and couldnt do so without a days prep and a run to walmart. When the names start a droppin', the my BS meter starts a hoppin'. I've found scouts who complete the first two sections of Orde of the Arrow are more skilled than most "survival instructors".

Thanks for the questions:

First, let me explain something about wilderness, survival, and primitive skills. They are often used synomynously, but they are different (although there is crossover when skills are taken out of context). We teach a blend of these skills in our courses. In other words our courses aren't just about last-ditch survival in extreme situations.

1. "Wilderness" skills are simply skills that use natural resources found in wilderness settings to provide the needs and pleasures that one may desire. An example of this would be how to burn out an eating bowl from wood around the fire at night for entertainment, or learning how to boil water with rocks.

2. "Survival" skills are methods to use available materials to maintain health and happiness in remote situtations, usually (but not always) with natural materials. We teach the basics of these through the workshops series to provide food, water, shelter, and fire... and then take them further in our second series of workshops....

3. "Primitive" skills are generally skills that may be incorporated into one's everyday lifestyle and are "higher order" skills that focus on providing everyday needs in more simple ways (most often learned from native cultures using natural materials). This might include tanning a hide to make clothes, or making a medicinal salves for cracked feet with wild herbs. We delve into these in our campout weekend class.

Yes, at least three of four of us have used the skills we teach on many occasions. You make a very good observation. We call it "dirt time". That is the time you spend actually are "using" the skills in applied situations. Scott only recently moved into a log cabin (which he built) on his land, because he fell in love and had a baby. He is the 'real deal'. I am not a complete survival expert by any means, but I have used many of the skills I learned from Ray and other great teachers on at least four thousand miles of trail.

Also, I just just learned we will also have another instructor for the weekend campout: author and earth skills expert Russell Cuts. He is a tremendous teacher, who has a recent book on friction fire techniques.

You can find a lot about him at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=russell+cutts He lives in cabin in north Georgia, very near Springer Mt. By the way, he is an Eagle Scout and Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow.

We have some serious talent coming here for these courses. I truly hope some of you come. I guarantee it will better your hikes. If it doesn't you can have your money back. If you can't afford it but want to come, email me and we might be able to work out volunteer opportunities.

nate

visit www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm (http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm) for complete info.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-09-2006, 02:53
Good deal, Wook. Sounds good to me. I just wanted to be certain what exactly ya'll were up to.

Good luck and may you only have eager students.

Chuck

PS - I can survive in a desert, dry forest, or rain forest environ with little difficulty. The man who trained me used to say if you have a knife with you "Your on f-----g vacation!" My question is -- how do you boil water with rocks? Never heard that one before.

Tha Wookie
07-16-2006, 15:23
For those of you who have emailed me about the upcoming workshops or those who haven't, this a reminder that you need to register at least 3 days prior so we can have enough matierials on hand.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you there!

Tha Wookie
07-24-2006, 14:30
Here are some pictures from the first two classes at the roots farm. It was a GREAT weekend!

We have more going on this weekend's wildskills gathering, complete with an overnight campout and 5 instructors. If anyone wants to come, even if you didn't go to the first ones, PM or email me asap....

http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills/summer1shots/index.htm

Nate

mingo
07-24-2006, 15:26
wookie, if i am accepted as an "intern" on your organic farm, wielding my hoe for nothing except a place to lay down in a smelly trailer, can i also pay to attend the fabulous "survival skills" workshop? maybe i should just ship you my wallet and let you take out whatever you need.

the goat
07-24-2006, 15:32
wookie, if i am accepted as an "intern" on your organic farm, wielding my hoe for nothing except a place to lay down in a smelly trailer, can i also pay to attend the fabulous "survival skills" workshop? maybe i should just ship you my wallet and let you take out whatever you need.

hmmm, that's funny, i musta missed the picture where wookie was holding a gun to someone's head and removing money from their wallet.:rolleyes:

Tha Wookie
07-24-2006, 15:41
haha!!! ok, whatever mingo. I don't make even one single dollar on the classes or the produce. We do, however, use the money to pay some the top earth skills instructors in the southeast who come to share their years of dirt time and study. Try to find a class like we had saturday for $20 anywhere. I am looking for a grant so we we can offer them for free. Not much out there though.

Your accusations are not even bothersome (troll factor excluded), as I want to thank you because you give me reasons to explain more of what we are doing here at the Roots Farm.

I hope you have a wonderful day sir.:sun

Again, check out class pictures at:
http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills/summer1shots/index.htm

contact me if you want to come this weekend, July 28-29.

Smile
07-24-2006, 15:48
Give Tha Wookie a break! I only met him once and sure seemed like a genuinely nice guy with lots of trail miles on his boots. ;-)

I'd be interested in attending some others in the future, and would be happy to volunteer one weekend with Rubberbandman at the organic farm, PM! It's never a bad thing to get together and test out your skills, even you how to do most stuff.

Tha Wookie
07-24-2006, 15:59
Give Tha Wookie a break! I only met him once and sure seemed like a genuinely nice guy with lots of trail miles on his boots. ;-)

I'd be interested in attending some others in the future, and would be happy to volunteer one weekend with Rubberbandman at the organic farm, PM! It's never a bad thing to get together and test out your skills, even you how to do most stuff.

thanks in spades, Smile.... but boots? come on, you know me better than that!;)

mingo
07-24-2006, 16:02
just trying to do my part to foster a lively discussion, wookie. i wish you well in luring people to your "farm" to shake them down.

Smile
07-24-2006, 17:50
Yeah, who needs stinkin boots anyway :)