PDA

View Full Version : Rain Pants Suggestions

the_iceman
07-06-2006, 20:47
I got the North Face DIAD Rain jacket becasue it is light and I could find nothing but good reviews. Rain pants seem to be another issue, for every good review there is a negative to match. Here is what I have looked at:

North Face Venture
North Face Resolve
Helly Hansen Zero G
Patagonia Rain Shadow
Marmot Precip Pants
Marmot Precip Full Zip
Red Ledge Full Zip

Comments, suggestions, reviews?

Skidsteer
07-06-2006, 20:50
I got the North Face DIAD Rain jacket becasue it is light and I could find nothing but good reviews. Rain pants seem to be another issue, for every good review there is a negative to match. Here is what I have looked at:

North Face Venture
North Face Resolve
Helly Hansen Zero G
Patagonia Rain Shadow
Marmot Precip Pants
Marmot Precip Full Zip
Red Ledge Full Zip

Comments, suggestions, reviews?

Have a look at these:

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

otterman
07-06-2006, 20:55
I have used the Red Ledge pants and didn't find them to be all that waterproof. I still use them because I usually don't worry all that much about my legs getting wet. They're more of a wind breaker. I use my Frogg Toggs if I want to stay dry.

Just Jeff
07-06-2006, 21:04
Check out the DropStoppers at backpackinglight.com. They're not all that durable but they'll hold up on most trails and are duct-tape repairable - and at $16 for pants and jacket and 4 oz for the pants, you can afford to carry an extra pair and still be under the weight of a normal pair, or put a set in a bounce box.

I used the Red Ledge w/o zip and didn't have a problem with them, but I haven't used them in really heavy or prolonged rains.

the_iceman
07-06-2006, 21:21
Does anyone know what frogtoggs elite pants weigh?

Skidsteer
07-06-2006, 21:52
Does anyone know what frogtoggs elite pants weigh?

http://www.appraiserdepot.com/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=ET100&Category_Code=HHLDM

The Elite Suite is a 100% laminated polymicro fabric suit that is waterproof and breathable. The jacket features a 3 piece adjustable hood with visor and elastic cinch string, full front zip with double storm flap and waterproof zipper, elastic and Velcro wrist closure, interior zipped storage pocket, two exterior pockets with storm flap and waterproof zipper, and a coed lock drawstring waist. The jacket’s hood features a special adjustment tab that allows the hood to be stored out of the way when not in use. Pants feature billfold pocket with storm flap, waterproof zipper, 14 inch zippered ankle openings with storm flap and waterproof zippers, and an elastic waist with cordlock drawstring. Suit weighs less than 2 lbs.

Only weight info I could find. Wild guess: The pants weigh 13-14 ounces. But you don't need the heavy duty Toggs for hiking, IMO.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-06-2006, 22:00
Frogg Toggs Sports Pro (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=28459) at 19 ozs makes more sense than the Elite. It is easier to get on and off over boots and has a separating front zipper (so you can wear the jacket backward with your pack on your back on cold, windy mornings).

Peaks
07-07-2006, 11:03
Frogg Toggs Sports Pro (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=28459) at 19 ozs makes more sense than the Elite. It is easier to get on and off over boots and has a separating front zipper (so you can wear the jacket backward with your pack on your back on cold, windy mornings).

19 ounces seems heavy for rain pants. My Frogg Togg rain pants scale out at 6.7 ounces.

Frogg Toggs work great for biking and on trail hiking. They tear easily when used off trail, such as peak bagging trail less peaks. Also, be careful climbing over blowdowns. Carry duct tape.

Adom
07-07-2006, 18:35
Stay away from Precip. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands but they are hot and not at all water proof, there must be something better out there and if not there has to be something much cheaper that is just as good.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2006, 22:06
19 ounces seems heavy for rain pants. My Frogg Togg rain pants scale out at 6.7 ounces. My bad - 19 ozs is the weight of the whole suit.

dloome
07-12-2006, 09:17
Frogg Toggs Pro-Action rain pants (the ones you see most often on the AT) weigh @7 oz. Maybe you were looking at the weight for the whole suit. For 3 season hiking, where rain pants will be worn much less often than your jacket, I would just get something light and cheap. Frogg Toggs are great. Super cheap, fairly light, duct tape repairable and great for keeping the bugs off in camp.

You might also look at at getting a pair of wind shell pants like the Golite Whim (4oz.) they have a pretty good degree of water protection but even if you do get wet they block the wind effectively so you won't get chilled.

Johnny Swank
07-16-2006, 20:12
I'm in with the Frogg Toggs or something similar for rainpants, unless you're into the shoulder seasons.