07-07-2006, 14:28
Is this a real question:-? ?why do hammockers carry hammocks?ky

neo
07-07-2006, 14:30
Is this a real question:-? ?why do hammockers carry hammocks?ky

:D i use my hammock and tarp in the rain to avoid shelters:cool: neo

kyhipo
07-07-2006, 14:32
:D i use my hammock and tarp in the rain to avoid shelters:cool: neoI reckin Neo one could use a tent the same way:-? .ky if they desired too.

neo
07-07-2006, 14:36
I reckin Neo one could use a tent the same way:-? .ky if they desired too.

:D i have seen so many comments that they dont want to get their tent wet:cool: neo

kyhipo
07-07-2006, 14:41
Ok Neo I must confess at times while drenched to the bone and a shelter is up ahead I do stay in them!but I have stopped right where i was and set my tent up also!I do believe with me it depends on what kind of mood I am in.But does it really matter I have a bivy tent and hammocks take probably just about the same time to set up.
While the AT offers shelters many trails dont so really whats the point to all the madness?ky

The Solemates
07-07-2006, 15:06
:D i have seen so many comments that they dont want to get their tent wet:cool: neo

please show me.

Pacific Tortuga
07-07-2006, 15:23
please show me.

From Missour'a ?

The Solemates
07-07-2006, 15:38
From Missour'a ?

nope, but i can pretend if it makes you feel better :) i just doubt his statement.

ed bell
07-07-2006, 15:52
:D why carry a tent if you are afraid to use it in the rain:cool: neo Who do hikers care about other hiker's gear?:) I love my tarp or tent in the rain. That's what they're for, right?

MOWGLI
07-07-2006, 15:55
Should everyone carry a hammock? That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

neo
07-07-2006, 17:18
Should everyone carry a hammock? That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

not about hammocks,its about being more independant :cool: neo

ed bell
07-07-2006, 17:22
not about hammocks,its about being more independant :cool: neo Oh, I get it, since I don't think they make a two person hammock, you can be more independent. ;)

neo
07-07-2006, 17:31
Oh, I get it, since I don't think they make a two person hammock, you can be more independent. ;)

its about being free from the bondage of being dependant on shelters,:cool: neo

Ridge
07-07-2006, 17:47
So I won't have to carry a Hammock.....

scope
07-07-2006, 18:02
why even carry a tent,i dont get it

Didn't know about camping hammocks until I started reading your numerous posts!:)

I carry a tent because that's what I have. I spent money on it and the gear that goes with it, and it seems foolish (although seemingly justifiable) to spend additional money on something that serves the same purpose.

I have a tent because that's what was in the store, on display, preying on my need to be marketed to. Sell the sizzle!

But, I will probably make the Hennessy a near-term purchase. Would you suggest getting the hex fly?

ed bell
07-07-2006, 18:05
its about being free from the bondage of being dependant on shelters,:cool: neo Which a tent gives you just the same. Plus you don't have to be dependent on trees.:D I'm just kidding around Neo. :sun

neo
07-07-2006, 18:24
i love hillary clinton,what else can i say:cool: neo

Heater
07-07-2006, 18:37
i love hillary clinton,what else can i say:cool: neo

Well you haven't expressed your love for the JetBoil in this thread...
yet! :rolleyes:

Doctari
07-07-2006, 20:54
I think the implication in Neo's question is "why carry a SHELTER, if you arn't going to set up in the rain."

A question I have never understood the answer to. Even worse, why would someone NOT carry a shelter????

Doctari.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2006, 20:55
:D why carry a tent if you are afraid to use it in the rain:cool: neo
I've carried a tent for 16,000 miles and will set it up in the rain. A hammock is stupid.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 21:27
...... why would someone NOT carry a shelter????

You're right about that. If the AT was set up like the PCT there would be a hell of a lot fewer completions, as well as fewer attempts in the first place. The water situation on the PCT, especially coming out of Campo is awful and there are, for all practical purposes, basically no shelters or hostels on the 2600 mile trail, only a few. If you look at the stats between the two trails, you'll see that the number of AT completions, lets say 300, is about the number that actually start the PCT, usually 60 or so out of the 300 will complete it. And, another thing I learned is that a high percentage of the 300 PCT starters are former AT thru-hikers. I think that all AT thru-hikers, if possible, should hike the PCT, if just to experience the low humidity, higher elevations and the different terrain. It's defiantly not better or worse than the AT, just a lot different. I do want to re-hike the AT someday, but I want to complete the PCT and attempt the CDT beforehand.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2006, 21:44
We carry a large tarp (10 x 12 silnylon, 19 ozs) so we can put up and take down our 3lb tent in the rain without getting it or ourselves wet. While I know this system isn't for everyone, I love having plenty of dry space when it is raining. Being cramped up in a tent drives me nuts.

Neo, get a grip - hammocks are not for everyone.

the goat
07-07-2006, 21:49
i don't even think that neo likes hammocking, that's why he's constantly seeking positive reinforcement from others. seriously, think a/b it.:-?

Michele
07-07-2006, 21:57
I think a lot of people can't stand to be alone w/themselves, so staying in a shelter vs. putting up a tent means there will be someone around, unless you're by yourself...then I guess you'd better start liking yourself.--did that make a damn bit of sense? :)

neo
07-07-2006, 22:39
I think the implication in Neo's question is "why carry a SHELTER, if you arn't going to set up in the rain."

A question I have never understood the answer to. Even worse, why would someone NOT carry a shelter????

Doctari.

thats correct,why carry a tent,tarp or hammocks if 95 percent of the time you will not use it,my ideal of misery is not camping in the rain in my shelter
of choice,but being in a shelter thats over crowded,i had over 20 hiker cross my path heading north as me and my son hiking south ask about the shelter we had passed while hiking in the rain,we tented 5 miles up the trail
there must of been over 30 hikers heading to that shelter because of the rain:cool: neo

neo
07-07-2006, 23:07
We carry a large tarp (10 x 12 silnylon, 19 ozs) so we can put up and take down our 3lb tent in the rain without getting it or ourselves wet. While I know this system isn't for everyone, I love having plenty of dry space when it is raining. Being cramped up in a tent drives me nuts.

Neo, get a grip - hammocks are not for everyone.

:) i should have been more specific,i meant why carry a tent or tarp or hammock ,if you say in shelters 95 percent of the time.i use an oversized tarp with my hammock the way you use a large tarp with your tent,i string
my 9x9 tarp up first then hang my hammock,then i remove my rain gear
the tarp really enhances tent or hammock camping in the rain,very comfortable:cool: neo

Amigi'sLastStand
07-08-2006, 03:43
I dont care what you carry ( tent, hammock, umbrella, tin hat ), just carry something to sleep in. These are the ULers I just cant stand.

Ramble~On
07-08-2006, 04:57
Oh, I get it, since I don't think they make a two person hammock, you can be more independent. ;)

Hehehehehehehe....THAT was a goos one!

Ramble~On
07-08-2006, 04:58
Darn that keyboard.....they just had to put that "s" next to that "d" didn't they.

mweinstone
07-08-2006, 15:49
and to have privacy. and to be prepared for the sudden need to be sheltered. and cause its the thing we choose to do.

LIhikers
07-11-2006, 08:01
Why do my wife and I carry a tent? Oh let me count the reasons why.
1. Our 80 pound shephard dog, that we hike with, likes it in the tent:D
2. It provides shelter from inclement weather
3. It protects us from carnivorous bugs
4. It provides privacy when we want it