PDA

View Full Version : Motorized hiking boots

steve hiker
03-18-2003, 20:42
From Ananova, Story filed: 12:24 Monday 17th March 2003

Walking boots fitted with tiny combustion engines are set for production in Russia.

Inventor Viktor Gordejev, from Ufa in the Ural Mountains, says the boots cut the energy of walking by about 70%.

As soon as the wearer steps forward with one foot, the engines propel the other one forward.

Mr Gordejev says inspiration came 30 years ago when he was serving in the Soviet army.

He explained: "I always wished my boots had engines as we had to walk miles every day. That's how I came up with the idea."

The boots will retail for about £600 a pair when they go on sale in Russia later this year.

Boris Rudoi, head of the Space Travel Institute in Ufa which helped Gordejev realise his dream, says there has been considerable interest in pre-orders and talks are already underway with partners to market the boots internationally.

He added the boots had to be closely guarded from Japanese and American industrial spies during their development.

Grimace
03-19-2003, 09:44
Wow, with these and the Segway we'll be able to hear America getting fatter.

MOWGLI
03-19-2003, 10:18
Saw a Segway for the first time in the Atlanta Intl Airport the other day. Pretty amazing little device. Don't think it would do well in The Whites & Mahoosuc Range however. he he

MOWGLI
03-19-2003, 10:22
Originally posted by steve hiker
From Ananova, Story filed: 12:24 Monday 17th March 2003

Walking boots fitted with tiny combustion engines are set for production in Russia.

How many MPG? Puts a whole new twist on resupply.

"Yeah, I'd like a box of poptarts, some beef jerky, 2 packets of gatorade, and a gallon of unleaded. Ya think that'll be enough to get me to the next road crossing?"

Redbeard
03-19-2003, 11:22
I'll just wait for anti-grav backpacks.

RagingHampster
03-19-2003, 13:03
Better yet, your new repair kit will have head gaskets and 10w30 :)

DebW
03-19-2003, 13:22
These boots will be outlawed in certain wilderness areas where they don't allow mototized equipment of any kind, including chainsaws for trail clearing.

Redbeard
03-19-2003, 18:13
I would, however,love a Ural motorcycle. They make one with two drive wheels, using a driveshaft to connect the wheel on the sidecar. Bad gas mileage though.

PushingDaisies
03-19-2003, 20:02
Gives a whole new meaning "Gear Heads." :rolleyes:

ga>me>ak
03-22-2003, 14:53
Technology, you gotta love it. You can use your cell phone on top of Everest to call your loved ones and tell 'em your dying, we eat food thats never seen soil, weapons capable of "mass destruction"(yes, I'm sick of that term too), and now we can walk and barely have to move your feet. As posted up above, listen.... on a quiet night you can hear the fat growing. Come to think of it, I'm exhausted after typing this post, let me waddle over to the fridge and....

Redbeard
03-24-2003, 15:01
I just wind up working harder to pay for the technology I don't really need. :-?