PDA

View Full Version : New Bear Activity at Race Brook

Cosmo
07-07-2006, 21:18
Again there has been recent bear activity at Race Brook Falls Campsite in Massachusetts. Last week AMC trail crew project leaders were at the campsite for the day prepping for upcoming work. The left their packs on the tent platforms while they scoping out work on a new relocation of the access trail. When they got back, they found a bear in possession of their packs. Attempts were made to frighten the bear away, but it did not leave immediately.

Due to previous reports last season, we rigged a line to hang food from, and this spring insalled a steel box for food storage. Because this bear seems to be a regular visitor, visitors should immediadetly store their food in the bear box, or hoist it on the line provided--even for a short stop to visit the privy or collect water.

On Sunday. I will be posting signs on each tent platform and at the privy to let folks know about this animal...I think I'll leave my snacks at the trailhead. Ridgerunners will also spread the word.

Bear boxes were installed at the two overnight sites south of Race Brook, and two more will go in to the north at Hemlocks and Glen Brook during the course of the summer.

Pay attention out there,

Cosmo

gsingjane
07-08-2006, 15:57
Thanks Cosmo, just got back from three days out there (loop hike between Limestone Springs and the new Laurel Ridge campsite) and noticed the new bear boxes. Thank you guys so much for installing them! I was with my two young daughters and it made me feel much more secure to know the food was safe (although of course not so great about letting them hike out alone knowing of the bear activity). We met your buddy Storyteller, what a great guy!

Thanks for all you do!

Jane in CT a/k/a Gym Rat

Newb
07-10-2006, 08:59
Ok. Let's get the "shoot the bear" and the "Hug the bear" people into this thread immediately. Go!

Rouen
07-13-2006, 09:33
Ok. Let's get the "shoot the bear" and the "Hug the bear" people into this thread immediately. Go!

to shoot the bear then hug it? or to hug the bear then shoot it?
I can't believe there would be "shoot the bear" people hiking the AT, isn't the whole idea to become one with nature not try to kill it off just because?:confused: