PDA

View Full Version : Clothes list for mid march NOBO start

Smacky70
07-08-2006, 08:37
I need some advice as to what clothes will be necessary for a mid march NOBO thru-hike start.

This is the preliminary list I have compiled so far, a * means I haven't yet bought the item. Also note that some of the gear listed may not be the best for the job, but it's what I already have, and because of budget considerations I really don't want to have to buy similar (but better items).
I have to save for airfare as well as gear, as well as the cost of doing the AT, as well as factoring in conversion from AUD to US (/rant)

1 x rain/wind jacket (Mountain Hardwear jacket, not sure what model, but it cost AUD $350 and I've had it for a couple of years, worked great in multi-day hikes in NZ)

1 x macpac rain pants - made out of reflex taslan

1 x heavy fleece - made out of polartec 300 (bought in 2000)

1 x long sleeve ice-breaker (top quality NZ merrino wool)*

2 x short sleeve ice-breaker t-shirts*

1 x thermal top *

1 x thermal bottom *

1 x hiking shorts * (probably columbia brand)

1 x convertible pants * (probably columbia brand)

3 x underwear * (specific hiking underwear, made out of some great material that thwarts bacteria/smell etc)

3 x pairs of hiking socks

1 x bandana (ATC bandana ordered today along with the map set)

1 x pair glove inners

1 x fleece beanie*

1x baseball cap

1x pair of sandals

1x pair hiking boots* (probably ones made out of gortex xcr, mid weight)

1x mosquito/bug net* (probably the seatosummit one)

Have I forgotten anything? Is there too much of anything/too little? :confused:
My experience working a winter at a ski resort in SLC has given me some experience with cold weather, so I won't be *too* shell shocked by the cold.

Smacky70
07-08-2006, 08:39
Whoops, there shouldn't be a * next to the long sleeve icebreaker top, I already own that. It was bought in NZ a few years ago, I'm very happy with it.

jlb2012
07-08-2006, 09:30
instead of or possibly in addition to the fleece beanie I would probably recommend a polypro balaclava (army surplus usually)

the thermal top and bottom I would probably go with the polypro army surplus stuff but I am not sure whether to use the thick ECWCS stuff or the thinner stuff for mid march (probably the thinner stuff would be a good choice but ...

3x underwear is too much IMO and I would probably cut the number of socks to 2x and the T shirts to only 1

Smacky70
07-08-2006, 20:49
3x underwear is too much IMO and I would probably cut the number of socks to 2x and the T shirts to only 1
I was thinking the second shirt would be the one that I slept in, but now that I think about it I would probably be sleeping in the thermal top, so yeah I think I can manage with only 1 shirt.

As for the socks, is it common practice to wear a different pair of socks around in the evening/bed than worn during the day? Beause that's what I plan on doing.

Partly for this reason, and just for a bit of safety if one pair gets wet I think I'll err on the safe side and stay with 3 pairs. Thank you for your advice though Hog on Ice.

Frosty
07-08-2006, 21:15
Partly for this reason, and just for a bit of safety if one pair gets wet I think I'll err on the safe side and stay with 3 pairs. Thank you for your advice though Hog on Ice.All the socks you wear will get wet. The only way for them not to get wet is not to wear them. When it rains for a few days in a row, nothing will dry out overnight. Anyway, the whole keep a pair-of-dry-socks-to-change-into thing is silly. If your feet get wet, your shoes will get wet as well as your socks. You put on dry socks and put them into wet boots they become wet socks.

When it is cold, it is good to keep a pair of dry underwear and socks to sleep in. Keep 'em in a ziploc bag and only use them at night in your bag (not to walk around in or they'll get wet too). In the morning just put on your cold wet socks and cold wet boots and cold wet shirt and cold wet underwear (wooooo-eeeeee)

bigcranky
07-08-2006, 21:41
Do your hiking shorts have a built-in mesh liner? Most men's shorts in the States do -- which saves carrying some underwear. I have a couple of pairs of convertible pants, but I don't use them backpacking b/c I don't want to carry underwear.

In cold weather, I like having a dry pair of socks to put on in camp -- these are usually somewhat warmer/heavier than my hiking socks, and I sleep in them. These live in my clothing bag and are kept as dry as my sleeping bag (i.e., very dry).

What kind of sandals do you want/have? Crocs and Waldies are popular as camp shoes on the A.T. (these are rubber clogs -- very comfy). Great to slip on after a long day, with my toasty warm socks, and easier than sandals.

You seem to have a lot of shirts. I carry my Icebreaker zip-neck long sleeve as my only long-sleeve shirt in cold weather -- so I don't carry a thermal top as well. You have two short sleeve shirts -- are these for hiking? If so you probably only need one.

But these are mere quibbles -- small stuff. You have the basics down fine. You have enough clothing to keep you warm and dry for March in Georgia, and you're not carrying anything totally wacky (wool union suit, 3 pound down parka, etc.). You can easily adjust from this basic list when you get out there.

Smacky70
07-08-2006, 21:57
If your feet get wet, your shoes will get wet as well as your socks. You put on dry socks and put them into wet boots they become wet socks.

Yes, I definetly see your point here, thanks for the reality check :)

Smacky70
07-08-2006, 22:06
What kind of sandals do you want/have?

You seem to have a lot of shirts. I carry my Icebreaker zip-neck long sleeve as my only long-sleeve shirt in cold weather -- so I don't carry a thermal top as well. You have two short sleeve shirts -- are these for hiking? If so you probably only need one.

Firstly I think I stay with the whole 'wearing underwear' thing, I'm not really a fan of commando style. :p

As for sandals, I have a nice pair of Merrel sandals, but they are heeeaavyy.. I've seen lots of photos here on WB of people wearing the Crocs/Waldies, I was on the edge of wether to get a pair or not, but I think your post has tipped me over, and I will get a pair (Assuming they sell them somewhere in Aus) and leave my heavy arse merrels at home.

With the shirt, as you have said, I will probably only need one, and I've decided to only take one. Thanks for your advice!

Smacky70
07-09-2006, 01:00
Turns out the local sporting goods store sells them (Crocs), so I bought a pair!
They are *so* light, it's fantastic. I decided on a nice light blue colour.

I also took a trip to the outfitter in town to purchase some 2 pairs of ice-breaker socks and an ice-breaker thermal underwear top. I'm going to have more wool on me than a sheep out there :p

bigcranky
07-09-2006, 09:33
I'm not talking about going commando here -- my hiking shorts have a built-in mesh brief.

Glad you found the Crocs.

Frosty
07-09-2006, 13:15
Yes, I definetly see your point here, thanks for the reality check :)Well, I learned it myself the hard way. For years I day hiked and when i got wet I just came home wet, never bothering to change socks, which I always carried extras of,even on a day hike.

Then my first long hike involving losts of rain and puddles (rain-snow-slush actually) I put on my dry socks one morning and then my boots. ha ha. The joke was on me.

Now I had wet feet and a pair of wet socks to carry.

I attemtpted a thru last March (starting the 7th) and carried StornKloth socks. Waterproof and warm, and probably could have kept my feet dry except for sweating. But I just used them on cold nights. My bag was okay, but my feet get cold. The StormKloth socks were nice to sleep in.

firefly
07-09-2006, 23:35
Glad you found your Crocs..have you started wearing them around town yet?? You will..just wait and see :)

You clothing list looks good to me..just make sure you can wear all of it together underneath your jacket. March weather in north georgia is wacko. It can be beautiful shorts weather one afternoon and then overnight it can ice and snow...I live in Atlanta Georgia and Springer Mtn is the primary place I hike. I also highly reccomend getting a lightweight balaclava..you can roll it up and wear it as a hat..you can wear it around your neck or if its really awful outside you can completly cover you face with it. It can make a big difference if you are freezing at night.

I do not know what your travel plans are but I have several friends who have flown into Atlanta and then stayed their first night at the Hiker Hostel. They will pick you up..take you by an outfitters (you pass 2 REI stores on the way) and then take you up to their hostel for the night. The owners have both thru hiked so they can help you with any gear issues you may have. Their place is very close to the trail. If I were flying in on a long flight from out of the country this is definitly the way I would go. If this sounds good to you check them out on this site and make your reservation early-they are very popular in the hiking community.

Smacky70
07-10-2006, 00:24
Glad you found your Crocs..have you started wearing them around town yet?? You will..just wait and see :)
Well not in town yet, but I've been wearing them around the house for the past few days, they are awesome.

I also highly reccomend getting a lightweight balaclava..you can roll it up and wear it as a hat..
Cheers for the tip, I was going to bring a neckwarmer, but I will take a balaclava instead as I can use it in the ways you mentioned. Hopefully ice-breaker make a balaclava.

I do not know what your travel plans are but I have several friends who have flown into Atlanta and then stayed their first night at the Hiker Hostel.
Yeah I was definetly planning on having atleast 1 day possibly 2 at that hostel to get over jet lag, go and buy food for the trek etc.

joel137
07-13-2006, 00:11
Do your hiking shorts have a built-in mesh liner? Most men's shorts in the States do -- which saves carrying some underwear. I have a couple of pairs of convertible pants, but I don't use them backpacking b/c I don't want to carry underwear.. . .

If you look hard enough you can find convertible pants that have the mesh liner.