PDA

View Full Version : Northern NJ

VictoriaM
07-09-2006, 16:56
Hi all! As I mentioned in my other post, I'm planning to thru hike next year. I'm new to backpacking, and could really use some practice. I'm looking for a very patient hiker to help me figure out my gear and let me tag along on some hikes. Hopefully I'll get a lot of day hikes and some overnights or multi-day trips in this year.

If you're from the area but not up to dealing with me, maybe you could point me in the direction of some well marked trails of varying lengths nearby?

Thanks much!

Amigi'sLastStand
07-09-2006, 18:25
I live in Summit currently, until 7/17. I am still recovering somewhat from double stress fractures of my feet. I have been hiking everyother day for therapy and am not yet back to my usual pace. I hike in the Watchung Lenape Indian Reservation. If you'd like, I could check your gear and get you prepped while I do my therapy. I know, it's roughing HAVING to hike for therapy, but doctor's orders. So email me if you want to.
Chuck

Kerosene
07-09-2006, 18:27
Upper North Jersey has a number of choices for short weekend hikes, especially if you can get someone to shuttle you from where you park your car.

As a newbie, you might want to try the AT section from High Point to Vernon or further. This is a nice easy section with some pretty walking.

There are a number of trails around Delaware Water Gap also, but those are usually steeper and rockier. Check those out once you get in a little better backpacking shape.

Here is a link to the NY/NJ Trail Conservancy that has a bunch of info on trails in the area: http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/index.html

Cookerhiker
07-09-2006, 21:58
Upper North Jersey has a number of choices for short weekend hikes, especially if you can get someone to shuttle you from where you park your car.

As a newbie, you might want to try the AT section from High Point to Vernon or further. This is a nice easy section with some pretty walking.

There are a number of trails around Delaware Water Gap also, but those are usually steeper and rockier. Check those out once you get in a little better backpacking shape.

Here is a link to the NY/NJ Trail Conservancy that has a bunch of info on trails in the area: http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/index.html

Don't forget Harriman Park which is closer to parts of NJ than the NJ section of AT is. Harriman features a network of trails which allow for circuits and a number of ups and downs.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-09-2006, 23:33
Don't forget Harriman Park which is closer to parts of NJ than the NJ section of AT is. Harriman features a network of trails which allow for circuits and a number of ups and downs.
Ha, I was just there. Had a great time. If anyone goes, be sure to check out the mines. Neat stuff.

Cookerhiker
07-10-2006, 11:28
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Cookerhiker
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ha, I was just there. Had a great time. If anyone goes, be sure to check out the mines. Neat stuff.

Brings back memories. The first hiking I ever did as a kid was in Harriman and I remember those mines, especially the deep green cold water.

Besides Harriman, there's a similar mine at Pine Grove Furnace, PA

orangebug
07-10-2006, 11:38
All good advice, plus NJ is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever hiked.

For further assistance in checking out your gear, consider attending one of the RUCKs next year. The closest one to you is the PARUCK at Iron Master's Hostel in PA, near the half way point. Usually, it is held on SuperBowl Weekend.

Steve W
07-10-2006, 12:00
Victoria, I would love to talk to you about your hike as I'm currently having major hiking withdrawal due to the fact that I'm recovering from knee surgery. At the moment I can barely walk, so hiking is out of the question right now, but hopefully by late in the summer I'll be back out. At that time it would be great to have someone who wants to take it easy to hike with. I'm not nearly the gear head that many people on this site are, but I certainly can give you some honest advise based on what I've learned. Also, I've been hiking in and around New Jersey all of my life so I'm sure I can point you in the direction of some good day and overnight hikes. If you want to talk, let me know, I'll be here.
Steve

DGrav
07-12-2006, 08:20
The Pinchot Trail system in PA is just off of Rt 80 not too far from NJ. Great place for testing out gear.

Next time our group goes backpacking in the area I'll drop you a note. One of the guys owned his own outfitters store for years and is very knowledgeable about gear

vipahman
07-16-2006, 11:16
I'm hiking NOBO from the Hudson River up towards CT next weekend. My hiking buddy is out with a bad knee. Feel free to PM me if interested. And yeah, having gone from 26 lbs core weight to 4 lbs core weight, I might even have some useful advice. :-)

StarLyte
07-16-2006, 11:34
All good advice, plus NJ is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever hiked.

For further assistance in checking out your gear, consider attending one of the RUCKs next year. The closest one to you is the PARUCK at Iron Master's Hostel in PA, near the half way point. Usually, it is held on SuperBowl Weekend.

The PA Ruck is the last weekend of January held at the above hostel. Lots of good people, advice, food, fellowship. Please feel free to ask any questions/PM myself regarding this hiker event or view many photos on backcountry.net from this year and previous years! It is an intimate setting with around 50-125 people.

Marsha

Trajack
07-27-2006, 08:31
Hi Victoria,
I'm just south of you in NJ I'll be doing some quick weekend overnights in the area soon. I would be happy to help you sort out your stuff. I am a fairly experienced female Bper too busy to do the long distance thing, but I like to get out on small trips when I can. Drop me a line.

Alligator
07-27-2006, 09:13
If you're interested in the Pine Barrens, there's a trail down near Batso good for an overnight or too. It would be a bit of a drive down the Parkway though, around the mid-50's exitwise.

Otherwise, any of the AT is nice in Jersey or you may find it easier to head North out of state.

Time To Fly 97
07-27-2006, 09:52
Hi Victoria,

I live 1.2 miles from the Long House Road crossing (last northbound). I have hiked all (?) the trails in the area and have evolved through many different gear combos. AT Thru-hiker.

I highly recommend:

http://www.localhikes.com - use 07421 for a local zip code if you want

This site has outstanding trail info on NNJ trails.

Glad to help!!!

TTF

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2006, 12:31
It's nice of TTF to say the website has lots of good NJ info, but he's being too modest.

He himself is actually about as good a NJ information resource as you'll find anywhere, and having known him for something like nine years, I'm very happy he's starting to contribute regularly here.

Time To Fly 97
07-27-2006, 13:00
I am humbled by your kind words. : )

vf457l
08-04-2006, 19:49
The Batona Trail down in Southern Jersey is an excellent beginner trail. It is relatively flat compared to North Jersey trails, makes for easy hiking. Also you don't have the bears to worry about like in the North. Although bears have been spotted in the Southern Counties there are not half as many as in the North. The trail passes through 3 State Parks with parking and camping along the trail. I believe the 3 Parks are Bass River, Brendan T Byrne and Wharton. This a link that I have with some info:

http://members.aol.com/Batona/BatonaTrailGuide.html

Hope this info helps and good luck. Feel free to contact me with any questions about this trail or backpacking in general.

dervissis
08-14-2006, 14:22
Im also in northern nj and rehabilitating a back injury so i can do a thru-hike. I'm looking for a hiking buddy, and to discover some new trails.

I live in Summit currently, until 7/17. I am still recovering somewhat from double stress fractures of my feet. I have been hiking everyother day for therapy and am not yet back to my usual pace. I hike in the Watchung Lenape Indian Reservation. If you'd like, I could check your gear and get you prepped while I do my therapy. I know, it's roughing HAVING to hike for therapy, but doctor's orders. So email me if you want to.
Chuck