PDA

View Full Version : Hiking With Hypoglycemia

lishen
07-10-2006, 10:51
Searched WB and found a few posts about hiking with diabetes, but nothing about hypoglycemia (a condition marked by low blood sugar meaning that it needs to be regulated by avoiding sugars and carbohydrates and eating more protein--similar to the much hyped atkins diet but i must also avoid artificial sweeteners such as splenda or anything with sugar alcohol in it).

Anyone out there have this condition or have any tips as to how to deal with it on the trail especially on long hikes where you may go days without being able to stop at grocery stores for fresh meat, cheese, or other protein filled goodies. I am hoping to do a thru hike in 2008 and need some food ideas I can start testing out on long weekend trips. Those store bought premade dehydrated meals are fine for a weekend trip but that gets old (and expensive) real quick so I'm looking for other options.

Thanks!

bigcranky
07-10-2006, 11:42
I don't know anything about this condition, but I will say that I get plenty of protein on the trail. I carry the shelf-stable bags of chicken, salmon, tuna, etc. I carry lots of cheese -- harder cheese stays fresh for a while, while those mozzarella sticks are good for weeks. I make my own beef jerky, which is easy and much cheaper than store-bought (and much better). I make boil-in-bag meals with dehydrated beans and 'instant' brown rice, which is a good combo for long-term carbs/proteins. I add protein powder to my own homemade granola for breakfast, and I add the powder to many of our freezer-bag meals. (Just whey powder, but there are other types which might work for you.)

Hope this helps. Good luck with the planning.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-10-2006, 12:51
Lichen, I hiked a lot while using the Protein Power diet before I had an auto accident that forced me to alter my diet to promote bone growth. I used powdered milk, protein powders with artificial sweeteners (they are available from body building supply places without sweetener), a lot of hard cheeses and nuts. Dried parmesan cheese (the kind you shake on pizza) and most hard, low-moisture cheeses travel well.

I also recommend you look into powder eggs and find ways to prepare them to make them tasty. Something along the lines of a pancake - heavy on the powdered eggs & milk and made with a whole grain flour (remember to add salt and baking powder) & some unsweetened dried fruit & chopped nuts for flavor. You also could do something similar to crustless quiche by rehydrating some dried veggies, mixing powdered eggs with milk powder and adding some parmesan cheese. Cook it like an omelet covered so the steam will cook it all the way through.

Finally, I carried pepperoni, whole grain pita, summer sausage (the kind sold unrefrigerated in plastic shrink wrap). I used couscous (http://http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous) - a hard grain product that does not tend to spike blood sugar - instead of the more traditional ramen, pastas and white rice which are all forbidden on your diet.

bigcranky
07-10-2006, 13:34
Heck, I forgot about nuts. Cashews, peanuts, mixed nuts, lots and lots of dried fruits of all kinds (mostly home-dried), almonds, and more cashews. Our cool-weather gorp is cashews, dried cherries, and chocolate chips. Also, cous-cous is a terrific grain for hiking. Very easy to use -- just pour boiling water over the grains and wait five minutes. I have eaten it for breakfast (with powdered milk and dried fruit) and dinner (all kinds of preps). Also forgot about the pepperoni -- love those in tortillas with string cheese and some mustard.

SawnieRobertson
07-10-2006, 13:51
Searched WB and found a few posts about hiking with diabetes, but nothing about hypoglycemia (a condition marked by low blood sugar meaning that it needs to be regulated by avoiding sugars and carbohydrates and eating more protein--similar to the much hyped atkins diet but i must also avoid artificial sweeteners such as splenda or anything with sugar alcohol in it).

Anyone out there have this condition or have any tips as to how to deal with it on the trail especially on long hikes where you may go days without being able to stop at grocery stores for fresh meat, cheese, or other protein filled goodies. I am hoping to do a thru hike in 2008 and need some food ideas I can start testing out on long weekend trips. Those store bought premade dehydrated meals are fine for a weekend trip but that gets old (and expensive) real quick so I'm looking for other options.

Thanks!

ZONE PERFECT bars every two hours. Mountain House Turkey Tettrazini. Bear Bar with coffee for breakfast. Cocoa before bed. My blood sugar never dropped. I was never hungry. Boring? Eventually, yes, but as anyone who has this problem knows, it is worth it. Besides, in town there are breaks from this steady fare.--Kinnickinic

Fahrenheit
07-10-2006, 18:46
I have this problem. I agree with what other people have said but don't forget that you need a combination of carbs, fat and protein for both immediate and longer term energy. I've definately struggled with low blood sugar on the trail when on long hikes, but that doesn't mean its not doable. Be prepared to have some extra snacks just in case you need to eat more than you expect you will. Also when you start to feel the first signs of low blood sugar stop and eat right away, don't wait.

If you don't you will be surprised how fast it starts to affect your brain. I've tried to wait before in trying to conserve food and found myself crying for no reason and having trouble seeing straight. It will affect you faster on a long hike because you have less body fat stores and exercise causes blood sugar to be lower.

The only bad problem I ever had was on a short hike where a bear got every last bit of my food and I had to hike out 9 miles, up hill, with no food. There was a hurricane rolling in so there was hardly any other people to beg from. Fortunately I was with another girl who felt reasonably well. I made it a few miles before I couldn't walk in a straight line anymore. My friend decided to hike out and try to bring me back food (she's a wonderful friend) but my the time she got there she felt terrible from being hungry herself and ended up calling EMS to come get me. So not a fun day. My solution to this has been to carry glucose tabs on me at all times. I don't hang them or put them with the rest of my food. I haven't ever needed them again so I don't know how well it would work.

Don't worry too much though. Its very easy to get the foods you will need and I've only ever really only had that one issue.

neo
07-10-2006, 19:17

Thanks!

diabetics have to watch out for low blood sugar,i justed 70 a few minutes ago,low blood sugar is extremely dangerous for diabetics,i taken insulin and oral meds:cool: neo

neo
07-10-2006, 19:18

Thanks!

i was hypoglycemic years before diabetes surfaced in my life:cool: neo

sarbar
07-10-2006, 19:36
Yep, I get that way also..which is not good considering my mom has had diabetes for 25 years and was the other way before (reason #1 I get tested yearly!)
Anyhoo, I carry easy to eat stuff for crashes. Candy bars followed by cheese and nuts..ie..a rush to get back up, and something for my tummy to chew on afterwards.
Yes, bars work well also..but I just hate almost all bars :(

Cashews are great for long term energy. Also, a packet of tuna or chicken combined with mayo and seasonings, is great-and fast. Eat as is, or on tortillas.

Vi+
07-10-2006, 21:10
lishen,

You advise (Post #1), you “Searched WB and found ... nothing about hypoglycemia (a condition marked by low blood sugar meaning that it needs to be regulated by avoiding sugars and carbohydrates and eating more protein ...”

You ask, “Anyone out there have this condition or have any tips as to how to deal with it on the trail especially on long hikes ...”

Last first. You haven't specified exactly what “this condition” is.

I probably misunderstood, but your description of conditions and circumstances of hypoglycemia are the opposite of my understanding.

“Hypoglycemia” means "low blood sugar" which occurs when your blood glucose (blood sugar) level drops too low to provide enough energy for your physical activity. This is a not unusual side effect of medical treatments for diabetes.

Glucose is a form of sugar which serves as one of the important fuels for your body. Carbohydrates are the main dietary source of glucose - Rice, Potatoes, Breads, Milk, Fruit, and Sweets.

You seem to be seeking sources of protein - a diet of relative carbohydrate deficit - which is the major dietary and naturally controllable cause of hypoglycemia.

To put it another way, if you wished to avoid HYPERGLYCEMIA, following a protein rich and carbohydrate poor diet would be the goal.

The trick is to strike the right balance, but the right balance differs for each person.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist? Have you conferred with a nutritionist? These should be your sources of information.

Skidsteer
07-10-2006, 21:23
lishen,

I probably misunderstood, but your description of conditions and circumstances of hypoglycemia are the opposite of my understanding.

You seem to be seeking sources of protein - a diet of relative carbohydrate deficit - which is the major dietary and naturally controllable cause of hypoglycemia.

To put it another way, if you wished to avoid HYPERGLYCEMIA, following a protein rich and carbohydrate poor diet would be the goal.

The trick is to strike the right balance, but the right balance differs for each person.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist? Have you conferred with a nutritionist? These should be your sources of information.

FWIW:

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2006/06/25/low_carb_diets_health_improvements.php

Eagle
07-10-2006, 21:40
I was diagnosed hypoglycemic years ago and I still enjoy my hiking, paddling and camping. :) Try making jerky in your oven or food dehydrator. It lasts a long time and is delicious. Beans are a great protien food and also can be dehydrated. Sun dried fish was a staple food of many aboriginal people. Try dehydrating your favorite finned friends. TVP or textured vegetable protien, made from soy beans, is easy to use in soups and stews and is available at your local health food store. Enjoy!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-10-2006, 22:00
Hypoglycemia is not cured by adding simple carbs (like sugar) because raising the blood sugar quickly causes the overproduction of insulin which causes the blood sugar to drop too low very rapidly. Complex carbs, fats and proteins raise the blood sugar gradually so do not trigger the insulin spikes that result in this rapid drop in blood sugar. This is why a diet free of simple carbs is recommended for those with hypoglycemia.

lishen
07-11-2006, 00:22
Thanks everyone for your great advise. Vi+, the condition is called hypoglycemia and frolicking dinosaurs gives a great description of what happens to those with hypoglycemia. I've been to the nutritionist and have been able to effectivelyl regulate my diet while I have regular access to the supermarket with fresh meat, seafood, eggs, cheese, etc... The hypoglycemia I am talking about is not to be confused with when a diabetic becomes "hypoglycemic". Having had hypoglycemia for a number of years, eating nuts, proteing bars and cheeses can sometimes get boring and may be impractical for a thru-hike, so I am glad to hear a number of good ideas about new foods/meals to try out. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks

TOW
07-11-2006, 08:33
just recently i found out that i have type 2 diabetes, with the meds that i take-metformin and glypizide-i have experienced low blood sugar to the point of almost passing out. i started only taking metformin once a day now instead of twice, but anyhow since i know a little about some plants along the trail i thought that the next time i was out hiking or biking and i came across sassafrass that i would pluck some of the leaves and carry them with me so that when i feel that my sugar is dropping i would eat them to see if that would bring my sugar back up? i do keep some type of sweets in my pockets most of the time just in case, so if this idea doesn't work i can go there....

what i want to say here is that as hikers we ought to become somewhat familiar of the edible plants that are strewn along the trail and from what i understand from those who know their plants that at any given moment when we are out there, there are food plants abounding all around.....

does anyone have any ideas on this?

Vi+
07-11-2006, 15:50
The Only Wanderer,

You advise (Post #15), “... I have type 2 diabetes, with the meds that I take ... I have experienced low blood sugar to the point of almost passing out.” You ask, “does anyone have any ideas on this?”

Welcome to the club. Remember, only the sweetest have Type II Diabetes.

Unlike Hypoglycemia, you need a quick infusion of a simple sugar when hypoglycemic symptoms become apparent. Glucose is one of the simplest sugars. You can buy glucose tablets in a roll which is fairly close to waterproof.

I carry one glucose tablet, waterproofed, in a pant pocket, and a roll of glucose tablets in a waterproof container which resides outside my pack. These quick relief tablets are for quick access.

Milk is a more complex sugar, so it takes a little longer to break down, become absorbed, and have the effect you desire; but the effect lasts longer. Powdered milk is a good thing to carry, as are powdered potatoes. Those little platypus water bottles make excellent containers.

Frolicking Dinosaurs and lishen, thank you for your information regarding hypoglycemia (Posts 13 & 14, respectively).

WileyBruin
07-12-2006, 21:34
Hmmm. I might only be an EMT and not a doctor but i think u might be a tad bit confused.

But: diabetes is the condition wherein the body is unable to regulate its blood sugar levels properly. Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia are simply terms that decribe levels of blood sugar and are not a condition in and of themselves but rather symptoms... Lots of people refer to problems with "their sugar"... thats what we call diabetes.

I think so anyhow.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-12-2006, 22:05
WileyBruin is right. Hypoglycemia is a symptom (like having a fever), not a disease in and of itself (like the flu that causes a fever). I assume Lishen has been evaluated and no cause for her low blood sugar can be found. In such cases, the most common treatment is dietary modification to control the insulin spikes.

bfitz
07-12-2006, 22:45
Insulin shuttles nutrients to your cells. If you have hypoglycemia, then your body is producing too much insulin, probably a "spike" shortly after eating some high carbohydrate sugary substance. Consuming more complex carbs (one example for hiking is the "low carb" bars that contain sugar alcohols, or Glucerna bars specifically designed with the same ingredient) to manage blood sugar. I've had some pretty scary experiences hiking with low blood sugar, especially right on the edge, when it actually feels like an energetic "high" right before the crash hits...Protien is a good idea too, just because a well rounded, low sugar diet including complex carbs and protiens will keep you full of the resources your body needs to function optimally. There are lots of good food choices for trail hiking, but I find gorp with lots of nuts, rather than dried fruit, and just a bit of chocolate is a pretty well rounded food source. Of course you need some quick carbs for emergencies. I find as a type 1 diabetic that an hour of vigorous hiking requires a dose of about 25 or so grams of carbohydrate to "replace" what it saps from my blood sugar, which I pretty much replace onece per hour by nibbling or mixing a bit of gatorade powder in my water...mabye not quite the technique for a purely hypoglycemic person...I frequently lower my insulin dose because during normal sedentary hours one gram of carbohydrate raises my blood sugar about 5 points, while one unit of Humalog insulin reduces my blood sugar about 20 points. It normally takes about 10 units of NPH about every 8 hours to provide for my baseline blood sugar to be maintained all else being equal. If I use the same doses hiking, I need to replace more carbs per hour as I get more exercise. Reducing the long acting insulin reduces the need for extra carbs while I hike...etc. etc. The key for me is counting every gram of carbohydrate I take in.
Look into nutrients like R-Alpha-lipoic-Acid, chromium, vitamin b6, and others which may help increase the sensitivity of your body to insulin, causing it to struggle less and produce less to process the sugar thus avoiding those insulin spikes...lots of hiking will cause this to happen too, as the body burns nutrients more efficiently when it's in high gear for a long time. The effects are long term.
Hope this helps.

TOW
07-13-2006, 09:15
okay this is all good advice, but what about plants that are at hand, anyone have any input on that?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 09:37
Larry, you might look at this site for ideas about willd foods http://www.theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/

TOW
07-13-2006, 12:22
Larry, you might look at this site for ideas about willd foods http://www.theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/thanx..........................!

bfitz
07-13-2006, 13:02
Onions are supposed to be good for blood sugar, so I imagine likewise for ramps....

lishen
07-13-2006, 20:14
This is a very confusing topic. When i say that i have hypoglycemia I am not saying that I have diabetes and frequently have hypogycemic symptoms. Hypoglycemia is a very rare condition that is marked by the oversecretion of insulin by the pancreas in response to a rapid rise in blood sugar or "glucose". When this happens, blood sugar plummets below the level necessary to maintain well-being causing both physical and emotional symptoms such as fatigue, mental confusion, heart palpitations,
dizziness and blurred vision among other. There isn't too much information about hypoglycemia out there, but here's a good site: http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo.asp

"Warning: as many as 100 million people in this country may be suffering from a disease nobody cares to talk about! Failure to learn about it could be dangerous to your health." - Dr David Williams, author of Hypoglycemia: The Deadly Roller Coaster

orangebug
07-14-2006, 14:42
"Warning: as many as 100 million people in this country may be suffering from a disease nobody cares to talk about! Failure to learn about it could be dangerous to your health." - Dr David Williams, author of Hypoglycemia: The Deadly Roller CoasterA very rare disease that someone claims to affect a third of the country? Yeh, right. :rolleyes:

berninbush
07-19-2006, 13:34
I don't have diabetes or hypoglycemia, but I have used a low-carb diet over the last year to lose weight. (It works much better for me than traditional diets!) One of my "staples" has been low-carb tortillas from a bakery in Dallas: http://www.rudystortillas.com/lowcarbinfo.htm . These happen to be available in my local grocery store, but I have no idea if they're available nationally. They taste good and have only 2 grams of net carbs (6 total carbs, 4 of which are fiber).

I spread no-sugar-added Jif peanut butter on them. That plus sugar-free canned apricots make a meal for me!

bfitz
07-19-2006, 13:46
Hypoglycemia and Diabetes are closely linked. Hypo is usually a precursor to type 2 diabetes. Managing (reducing) sugar intake and excercise will moderate hypoglycemic symptoms and reduce the likelihood of developing type 2 dibetes. Eating complex carbs and stuff like glucerna bars and avoiding simple sugars and the devil high fructose corn syrup will prevent spikes of insulin that lead to hypoglecimic symptoms. Taking proper nutrients/supplements such as R-Alpha-Lipoic Acid, chromium, and vitamin B6 among others that help optimize sugar metabolism can help also.

Fahrenheit
07-19-2006, 18:43
A very rare disease that someone claims to affect a third of the country? Yeh, right. :rolleyes:

Pure hypoglycemia without associated diabetes or pre-diabetes is rare. It can be caused by a rare tumor of the pancreas called an insulinoma or by some rare metabolic enzyme defects. Diabetes,especially type II, however, is very common. In early type II and pre-type II you get hypoglycemia in diabetes from having very high sugar levels from high sugar/simple carb diets so that the body dumps out huge amounts of insulin to deal with it and then you end up 'crashing' as the insulin causes all the blood sugars to be used up rapidly. In type I diabetes you can get hypoglycemic from injecting too much insulin.