PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Thru Hiker Season Down South

ed bell
07-10-2006, 22:59
The recent thread concerning positive and negative aspects of shelters caused me to ponder several questions relating to the southernmost end of the AT during thru-hiking season: Do the large amount of backpackers attempting a thru-hike in March and April take away from the trail experience in Georgia? Does ignorance or indifference cause more damage to the trail among the inexperienced backpackers? Do most thru-hikers look forward to the thinning out of the crowd? Are the small segment of hikers who qualify as aspiring thru-hikers actually do more damage to the trail than other types of users? Just thought I'd throw some of these out for discussion to the fine folks here at WB. I know many of our members live down here at the Southern End, what are your views on thru-hiker season down South?:sun

Ridge
07-10-2006, 23:44
Yes, the GA trail gets a huge influx in a short period of time of Thru-hikers. However, the trail and shelters in GA probably get a lot less usage than states like, Maine, NH, VT, VA, NC/TN in a years time. The AT in GA gets more wear and tear from the Atlanta weekender's and section hikers than from the thru-hikers.

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 02:06
If you are worried about it, take the BMT at the start in those seasons or go SOBO.

jlb2012
07-11-2006, 08:05
If one were to take the BMT from the beginning, what are the resupply points?

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 08:17
From the BMTA website:

Overview
Where 2 or more access points are listed for the same resource, the preferred one is asterisked (*). Ex: The Coker Creek Welcome Center and Post Office can be accessed at mile 123.6 (via TN Hwy 68) or at mile 128.3 (via the Unicoi Turnpike Trail and/or Joe Brown Hwy). The mile 128.3 access point is preferred because it is closer (and downhill!) so it is asterisked. See Resupply Details (http://www.bmta.org/ResupplyDetails.htm) page for further information.

http://www.bmta.org/imgs/GreenCoveMotel.jpg

Mile 17.9, Georgia Hwy 60, Skeenah Creek
• Grocery, restaurant, and hardware store - Martin's Dixie Depot (0.3 mile to right)
• Campground with hot showers, rooms - Skeenah Creek CG (0.5 mile to left)

Mile 36.3, Shallowford Bridge at Aska Road
• Restaurant, Shallowford River Shack (0.1 mile to right on BMT)
• Restaurant (0.3 mile to right on BMT)
• Blue Ridge, GA (6.4 miles to right)

Mile 46.0, Weaver Creek Road
• Various services in Blue Ridge, GA (5 miles to left on Weaver Creek Rd)

Mile 48.6, Georgia Hwy 515/US Hwy 76
• Gas Station and convenience store, Chevron (1.1 mile to right)
• Restaurant, Pink Pig (2.1 mile to left)
• Post Office, Cherrylog, GA (2.4 miles to left)
• Various services in Blue Ridge, GA (4.5 miles to right)*

Mile 71.7, Watson Gap
• Small grocery store, Watson Country Store (4.0 miles to right)

Mile 91.3, US Hwy 64, Thunder Rock Campground/Ocoee Powerhouse #3
• Olympic Whitewater Center (1.1 mile to right)
• B&B, White House Bed and Breakfast (8 miles to right, free shuttle with stay)
• Various services in Ducktown, TN (8 miles to right)

Mile 108.4, Wooden Railroad Trestle Underpass
• Outfitter, Hiwassee Scenic River Outfitters (On BMT)

Mile 108.6, Hwy 30 at Hiwassee River Bridge
• Outfitter, Webb Brothers Store & Float Service (On BMT)
• Hotel, Tennessee Overhill Sleep Inn (12 miles west/north on Hwy 30/411 in Etowah, free shuttle with stay) Mile 123.6, Tennessee Hwy 68
• Coker Creek Welcome Center and Post Office (4.5 miles to left) [See next entry.]

Mile 128.3, Unicoi Gap on TN/NC State Line
• Coker Creek Welcome Center and Post Office (3.0 miles to left)*

Mile 150.8, Tellico River Rd, FS 210
• Motel and small store, Green Cove Motel (1.4 miles to left)

Mile 182.7, US 129, Bridge at Cheoah Dam
• Services (0.4 miles to right) [Further information pending.]

Mile 188.4, Intersection of NC Hwy 28 & US Hwy 129
• Gas station (on BMT) [This listing for information only. Not recommended for hiker use.]

Mile 191.4, Twentymile Ranger Station, Smokies
• Potable water from faucet in season

Mile 196.4, Sassafras Gap at AT Intersection
• Fontana Dam (4.5 miles to right on AT)* [Preferable for southbounders.]

Mile 199.1, Eagle Creek Trail Intersection
• Fontana Dam with access to store, lodging and most other services (5.8 miles to right)* [Preferable for northbounders.]

Mile 254.6, US 441, Smokemont Campground
• Various services in Cherokee, NC (6 miles to right on US Hwy 441)

The Solemates
07-11-2006, 09:20
The recent thread concerning positive and negative aspects of shelters caused me to ponder several questions relating to the southernmost end of the AT during thru-hiking season: Do the large amount of backpackers attempting a thru-hike in March and April take away from the trail experience in Georgia? Does ignorance or indifference cause more damage to the trail among the inexperienced backpackers? Do most thru-hikers look forward to the thinning out of the crowd? Are the small segment of hikers who qualify as aspiring thru-hikers actually do more damage to the trail than other types of users? Just thought I'd throw some of these out for discussion to the fine folks here at WB. I know many of our members live down here at the Southern End, what are your views on thru-hiker season down South?:sun

Yes, to all of the above.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 13:57
Rock, let us know when the BMT HANDBOOK comes out.

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 13:59
I think the plan is to not over catalog the trail.

That said, I have given serious thought to doing the BMT as the first part of my thru-hike in 2008. Looks like April 6 start date.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 14:21
Rock, I guess Mr Clayton Pannell is still with the BMT organization. Nice guy, I met him 10 or 15 years ago up here in North Ga, and I can't remember the situation, but I looked his card up and I had no notes. It may had to do with Opel when she came thru and tore up everything, I know the BMT was clogged up pretty bad and they needed help. Me and my cousin did some chainsaw clearing on the BMT somewhere along TN/NC line, or maybe it was in the Dbl Spgs Gap area before 64.

I haven't done all, or even most, of the BMT. If I decide to do it I'll do it in the winter and carry GPS equipment and route the trail in track-log style. This info has a lot of good uses.

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 14:24
Thanks Ridge for your help. I like the more wild feeling of the BMT, one reason I enjoy maintaining it. No over groomed trail with blazes and shelters so close any turon could follow it on a hangover.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 14:33
Thanks Ridge for your help. I like the more wild feeling of the BMT, one reason I enjoy maintaining it. No over groomed trail with blazes and shelters so close any turon could follow it on a hangover.

Most of my hiking around here these days is mostly cross-country, I like no-trails at all really, I enjoy using GPS, compass and maps.

BTW. Do you know Mr Pannell? His BMT card didn't describe his responsibilities. Maybe he's retired.

Almost There
07-11-2006, 14:56
Here's a question: What is meant by "trail experience"? For each person it's different, that's the point of HYOH. If you are looking for a solitary, wilderness experience then early spring is not the time to hike in Ga. Does the trail get beat up down here at that time of year? Absolutely. Personally I like hiking with others so my experience doesn't get ruined, but hiking at this time of year can also mean staying away from shelters down here as there are way too many people. As stated by others I have taken to hiking parts fo the BMT in the spring, much quieter and relaxing. Another option if you want to end up in Neel's Gap would be to hike the BMT from Springer down to the Duncan Ridge and then take it over to Blood Mountain and you can come out at Neel's Gap. The Duncan Ridge is a trail I have yet to tackle but know several that have, it is very much a wilderness experience. Together I think this would get you through the first 30-45 miles of Georgia with very little contact. However it would be necessary to map out your water sources as they are not easily found on the DRT. I know General who is around here has hiked it and speaks well of the trail.

One last option would be to start in the middle of the week, or wait till April. Middle March is crazy down here.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 15:27
Here's a question: What is meant by "trail experience"? .........

Well, When you get "There" you'll know!!

Almost There
07-11-2006, 15:35
Well, When you get "There" you'll know!!

Ha! Being rhetorical, simply saying what you want and I want might be completely different.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 15:38
Ha! Being rhetorical, simply saying what you want and I want might be completely different.

Just having a little fun.

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 15:47
Another option if you want to end up in Neel's Gap would be to hike the BMT from Springer down to the Duncan Ridge and then take it over to Blood Mountain and you can come out at Neel's Gap. The Duncan Ridge is a trail I have yet to tackle but know several that have, it is very much a wilderness experience. Together I think this would get you through the first 30-45 miles of Georgia with very little contact. However it would be necessary to map out your water sources as they are not easily found on the DRT. I know General who is around here has hiked it and speaks well of the trail.

Dances with Mice has done it three times(DRT):

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=80580&highlight=Duncan+Ridge#post80580

There used to be a fairly complete trail description by Dances on WB. Maybe it's been moved to the archives.

In the Spring in GA, I decide before I hike if I'm up to dealing with crowds. If not, I don't hike the AT. It's just that simple. There's other trails to hike for solitude.

SGT Rock
07-12-2006, 09:31
Most of my hiking around here these days is mostly cross-country, I like no-trails at all really, I enjoy using GPS, compass and maps.

BTW. Do you know Mr Pannell? His BMT card didn't describe his responsibilities. Maybe he's retired.

The name isn't familiar, but then again I only worked two times with the whole crew. Most of my time with the group I worked my section with my boys.

Happy Feet has been there longer than I, and she regularly posts here. Maybe she knows him.

Jack Tarlin
07-12-2006, 16:54
Interesting thread.

There are indeed a lot of folks on the Trail in thru-hiker season down south. (And most folks still start between 15 March and 5 April).

There are two easy and obvious ways to avoid this.

1. Start your hike at a different time, ordon't go Northbound at all.

2. Or better, keep in mind that nobody's really complaining about THE TRAIL
being over-crowded. The comments are almost always about shelters or
marked and well-known campsites being crowded. The simple remedy is
to not stay in them. Oddly, enough, the folks that are complaining about
shelters being full or crowded are also part of the problem.....if they
opted to stay elsewhere, these sites would be less crowded and they'd
have fewer things to whine about. People that decry their loss of
solitude merely have to expend a tiny ammount of effort in order to find it.
In my experience, it's more common----and easier----for them to
bitch about it. In 2003, in 180 days, I stayed in shelters five times.
It's not that tough, people.

general
07-12-2006, 17:31
Here's a question: What is meant by "trail experience"? For each person it's different, that's the point of HYOH. If you are looking for a solitary, wilderness experience then early spring is not the time to hike in Ga. Does the trail get beat up down here at that time of year? Absolutely. Personally I like hiking with others so my experience doesn't get ruined, but hiking at this time of year can also mean staying away from shelters down here as there are way too many people. As stated by others I have taken to hiking parts fo the BMT in the spring, much quieter and relaxing. Another option if you want to end up in Neel's Gap would be to hike the BMT from Springer down to the Duncan Ridge and then take it over to Blood Mountain and you can come out at Neel's Gap. The Duncan Ridge is a trail I have yet to tackle but know several that have, it is very much a wilderness experience. Together I think this would get you through the first 30-45 miles of Georgia with very little contact. However it would be necessary to map out your water sources as they are not easily found on the DRT. I know General who is around here has hiked it and speaks well of the trail.

One last option would be to start in the middle of the week, or wait till April. Middle March is crazy down here.

love that DRT. i do like to call it the hell trail though. it's a little difficult, but there is plenty of water available. some of it is tough to get, and to the best of my knowledge, none is marked. a topo map and a little common sense finds all a person needs however. the last time i was on the DRT was back in the spring during hiker season and i met 1 person after i left rhodes mtn, where the DRT splits from the BMT.

ed bell
07-12-2006, 17:33
2. Or better, keep in mind that nobody's really complaining about THE TRAIL being over-crowded. The comments are almost always about shelters or marked and well-known campsites being crowded. The simple remedy is to not stay in them. Oddly, enough, the folks that are complaining about shelters being full or crowded are also part of the problem.....if they
opted to stay elsewhere, these sites would be less crowded and they'd
have fewer things to whine about. People that decry their loss of
solitude merely have to expend a tiny ammount of effort in order to find it.
In my experience, it's more common----and easier----for them to
bitch about it. In 2003, in 180 days, I stayed in shelters five times.
It's not that tough, people. I actually posed these few questions to get a little feedback about how the larger amounts of people changed the atmosphere. I haven't done any of Ga. and would like to start checking it out. If the opportunity presented itself in March or April I really wouldn't be worried about shelter availability cause I'm a tent man. Hearing about shelter and campsite areas with 10 to 20 or more people gathered is something I have never seen. I guess I wondered what hikers who have been around in Spring thought about it. I didn't really want to make any kind of statement with this thread, but I do appreciate the responses.:sun

Ridge
07-12-2006, 17:45
Some news articles, or magazines, talking about hiking the AT almost make the shelters sound like a B & B. How many are lured to attempt a weekend or even a thru-hike thinking they have a lodge to stay at at the end of the day? I'm all for NOT replacing any shelters and tearing down dilapidated ones. But, if I had my way, I'd dig up US 441 in GSMNP(a controversy at the time built because of the wilderness experience ruined) and do a reclamation to convert back to natural. Do the same for Skyland Dr in SNP.
I don't know how many people know that the construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway relocated a lot of the original AT, trail I wish could be reclaimed.

Johnny Swank
07-15-2006, 09:24
Finished my thru-hike on Jan 11 down in georgia. I think I saw 5 people over the last week. Not too crowded!