PDA

View Full Version : Where to do a 'test' backpacking trip?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-11-2006, 10:20
The dino's are ready to try a 'test' backpacking trip. We will only be able to be gone for about 3 - 4 days and, thus, need to stay somewhat close to home. We live about 15 miles SSE of Knoxville, TN.

A second consideration - the female dino has ortho issues that become far more painful if she overheats or become dehydrated. Give the fact that it is July & the snakes are ordering air conditioners here in the south and the fact that the female dino has not climbed a mountain with her full backpack since an auto accident 2 yrs ago, we are thinking a relatively flat trail (ridges are fine) might be the wisest choice.

Any suggestions?

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 10:39
As much as I hate them for the mess, there are some horse trails in the Smokies.

Another place where the hiking is easy is Mammoth Cave National Park in KY, it would be a few hours drive, but the hiking is easy.

SGT Rock
07-11-2006, 10:40
Oh, another place about 4.5 to 5 hours away is the Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama. It would be hotter than staying north, but the hiking is great and lots of water available.

Jim Obermeyer
07-11-2006, 11:05
The Cumberland Gap National Park in Middleboro KY has a 20 mile trail called the Ridge Trail. It's a good hike with plenty to see. They have an old settlement on top of the mountain called the Hensley Settlement you can explore. They also have the Sand Cave and the White Rocks Cliffs. The trails runs from Middlesboro to Ewing VA.

TN_Hiker
07-11-2006, 11:30
Mrs. Dino.....I would 2ed Mammoth Cave area as well. Also, might try looking at Big South Fork which is a little closer to you. Another thought is around the Stone Door area. Lots of good trails there, but watch the terrian.

Smile
07-11-2006, 11:38
Have a great shakedown - you'll probably get humid anywhere on the E.Seaboard this time of year. My first shakedown years ago was in July - it was great practice and the heat made it easier on the muscles just a bit IMO.

MOWGLI
07-11-2006, 11:41
Another thought is around the Stone Door area. Lots of good trails there, but watch the terrian.

A second vote for Savage Gulf (Stone Door). Its about 2.5-3 hours from Knoxville. The walk to Hobbs Cabin is an easy one depending upon what trailhead you use. http://www.state.tn.us/environment/nh/natareas/savage/

Great place! Ask Neo.

TN_Hiker
07-11-2006, 11:52
That's the Gulf's name!! All I could think of was Scott's Gulf (Virgin Falls area) and I knew that wasn't correct. Thanks Mowgli.....Savage Gulf is the place. Hobbs Cabin is a great suggestion Mrs. Dino. if you have never been I would plan on it. You can make it as easy or as rough as you want. Crowds are never a concern, parking close to the ranger station, and pick of several trails. Check out S. Cumberland State Park which includes Stone Door, Hobbs Cabin, Foster Falls, plus several other coves and natural areas.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-11-2006, 18:10
Thanks for all the replies - I never dreamed I'd get so much input. It looks like the North Rim Trail in Savage Gulf to Hobbs Cabin is going to be the destination for this trip - and Mammoth Cave NP is going to be the next trip - and the Ridge Trail in Cumberland Gap after that. I should be in good enough shape after those to get back on the southern part of the AT with a pack. It has been a long time coming and I'm excited.

TIDE-HSV
07-11-2006, 19:14
might want to check with the Savage Gulf side (east) about the water situation. We were in there about a month ago, but we didn't go all the way around to the cabin. They advised us that the water between the trailhead (or the headwaters of the falls) and the cabin was pretty much non-existent, and it's continued to be dry since then...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-11-2006, 19:18
Thanks for the heads up. I'll call the ranger station before leaving and change my destination if that is the case. I don't want to risk dehydration in this weather.

Daddy Longlegs
07-11-2006, 19:57
Savage Gulf is a great place to be but I rather be up there in the late fall or winter. I was up there 3 summers ago and did not ask about the water when I signed in. When I got to the camping area I found out that there was no water and since I was planning on water being there I did not have enough for the night. So I just turned around and headed back out. It was a long day.

karo
07-13-2006, 14:13
Water is still an issue, but this weekend the Cumberland Wild will have several hikes in the area. I don't think you will see many of them (dayhikers) near Hobbs Cabin tho. We (Matt from thebackpacker.com, and several others) are planning a trip to Stone Door, down into the
Gulf and up Big Creek Trail with a side trip to Ranger Falls, then up to Alum Gap (where I did my first backpack about 10 years ago) then back to Stone Door. We will have to go to Ranger Falls for water since Alum Gap is currently dry. We hope to get over there before the crowds start coming in.
http://www.cumberlandwild.com/splash.asp

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 16:50
The male dino is ill so the trip is own hold for now. May happen about July 23 or so.

Ridge
07-13-2006, 17:42
.......... the female dino has ortho issues that become far more painful if she overheats or become dehydrated. Give the fact that it is July & the snakes are ordering air conditioners here in the south and the fact that the female dino has not climbed a mountain with her full backpack since an auto accident 2 yrs ago, we are thinking a relatively flat trail (ridges are fine) might be the wisest choice.
Any suggestions?

Darn FD, you make conditions sound pretty bad. If you where a close friend telling me this, I probably tell him to do loop hikes around the cemetery!!LOL:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 18:10
::: Mrs. Dino chases Ridge all over WB with her offset metal canes :::

TIDE-HSV
07-13-2006, 18:44
(think late 70S), a group of us went to Stone Door for a January hike. The daytime temps hovered around plus five and the falls were frozen (one guy almost slid off). Since we were so crazy and the place was so empty, the rangers gave us permission to camp down in the gulf, instead of the designated campsites on the rim. It was a neat, but very cold hike. One stray dog accompanied us down into the gorge and kept edging into the campfire until we would smell his coat burning and would push him back out. He decided to sleep cuddled up to my back, but outside the tent. The only problem was that he took off after every skunk or other beastie that came by, baying all the way, and, then he'd come back, thunk into my back and semi-collapse the tent. After about three reps, it earned him a swift kick and me some rest. One odd thing was that the creek in the bottom, as it surfaced, dived underground, and then surfaced again, was not frozen like the falls. I guess its underground sojourns were warm enough to protect it from freezing...

Doctari
07-13-2006, 18:47
How bout Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness. Less than 50 miles or so from Louisville.

I hear it's fantastic hiking.

Doctari.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 18:58
I considered Slickrock, but I'm not sure I can handle the steep ridges there just yet.

TIDE-HSV
07-13-2006, 21:27
getting to the ridges in that area is a problem. It used to be possible to take FS 181 (?), by car, north from the Skyway to around 1.5 miles from Bob (Stratton) Bald. From there, the ridge can be followed around to Naked Ground and on to Hangover Lead. The FS road is now gated, and, if my old memory serves, it makes it about an 8 mile walk north to Bob Bald, most of it gradual. Bob Bald can be reached from Wolf Laurel, but it's around a 1400' climb, with some steep spots, around 6.5 miles. Naked Ground can be reached from Joyce Kilmer, but with a steep climb at the end. Likewise, Big Fat Gap accesses both Slickrock Creek and Hangover Lead (down/up), but, once again with a steep climb. If distance is not that important, the FS road to Bob Bald would be the most gradual. There are a lot of better views (Insh'Allah) in this area than in Savage Gulf...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 21:46
My leg is still too weak to do more than about 8 miles in a day. The docs think I can develop the undamaged muscles a bit more.

I can barely do Big Fat Gap without a pack now because of the bad footing and steepness. I did it last year as part of a training hike - the 1.1 mile took 3 hours. I likely can't do the deep water crossings on Slickrock Creek - especially the one at the top of the falls. I've done Naked Ground from Joyce Kilmer - no way I could do the climb at the end with a pack. I've also done Statton Bald from Wolf Laurel. As I recall, there was some serious blounder hopping in several sections. I can't hop blounders with a pack yet.

The most gentle trails I remember from that area were the portion of trail from the Dam on Highway 129 to lower Slickrock Creek and a trail named Nickle Cove or something like that.

TIDE-HSV
07-13-2006, 22:05
129 is definitely the easiest entry. There are a lot of crossings. Up through the mid-70s, Slickrock had a number of bridges, but one major flood took them out.

Ewker
07-17-2006, 12:16
The male dino is ill so the trip is own hold for now. May happen about July 23 or so.

I may see you folks down there this weekend if you go.

berninbush
07-17-2006, 15:05
FD's.... you could try the route on the Benton MacKaye trail that I did last week in the Citico Creek Wilderness, just west of Slickrock. (See my post in the Benton MacKaye thread.) The trail was relatively level (with a few ups and downs on the new section, but no long precipitous climbs) and the water crossings were never more than a couple of inches deep. We got some very nice views and a hike suitable for people who, unfortunately, spend most of their time sitting indoors at desks. ;-)

Nightwalker
07-17-2006, 15:21
::: Mrs. Dino chases Ridge all over WB with her offset metal canes :::I, of course, saw mental canes. teeheehee. :D

Cuffs
07-17-2006, 16:15
There was a post up the line about Sipsey Wilderness... There are no steep areas (a few gentle slopes) and well traveled/marked trails.

I make a loop in there: Parking at the Borden Creek Trail head, take trail 224 (Bunyan Hill Rd. no longer used as a road), to trail 204 (West Bee Branch Trail) to the Sipsey River (forget the trail #) when you hit the river, turn left, keeping the river on your right, you'll pass Fall Creek Falls (beautiful & HUGE!, you can walk all the way behind them!) and follow it all the way back to the trail head.

Thats a loop just shy of 13 miles. Camping near either the Bee Branch Falls or the River is good, there are several campsites already there.

Make sure to take your camera on this one, lots of scenery and falls and the states largest poplar tree is just off the Bee Branch Trail!

ALH

jlb2012
07-17-2006, 16:41
204 goes all the way to the river but most people turn off onto the Bee Branch Tr. so as to go by Big Tree - I think Bee Branch Tr. is sometimes referred to as 204A or Alternate 204. I would recommend agains camping near Bee Branch Falls cause its an over used area - one alternative site would be where West Bee Branch and East Bee Branch join but even then I consider the campsite near where Bee Branch joins the Sipsey to be a better site. Another possible site would be above Fall Creek Falls. Note however I disagree about the lack of steep areas - for example either 204 or 204A has a steep spot dropping off the bluff line.

SGT Rock
07-18-2006, 04:27
Another place to look is the trails along the Cades Cove/Abrams Creek area. Close to home and you can do some light, easy trips to some of the campsites along the creek while not adding a lot of distance. That area has some good campsites that are close to the roads, but you can use the trail system to make some nice loops.

Campsite 1, Campsite 14, Campsite 2, campsite 18, campsite 9, campsite 10 are all relatively easy walking. And when you are ready to add some climbing campsite 6 on Scott Mountain from the Y is about 8 miles with no hard climbs. I love campsite 6.

berninbush
07-18-2006, 10:14
If you do Cades Cove, you might want to call ahead. We drove the loop last week, and came across at least one campsite that was closed due to "bear activity." Sorry, I don't remember for sure which one...

berninbush
07-29-2006, 09:28
Hey Dinos!

Did you do your "test" trip, and if so, how was it?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-29-2006, 09:39
Haven't gone yet. The dinos have passed a head cold back and forth. I think this feamle dino got exposed to some sort of stomach virus when I kept two 5 yo grandkids that weren't real sick but couldn't go to daycare because they threw up the day before. Both were cranky and not their usual active selves.

We have been walking a hilly, paved bike trail (Greenbelt and Springbrook for the locals) almost every day and the male dino is working out like a madman in anticipation of the fall hiking season.

We were planning to do Ace Gap from Rich Mountain to Abrams Campground via Beard Cane in the GSMNP this week as an over nighter (maybe two nights depending on how the female dino did) , but the male dino was not well enough.

berninbush
07-29-2006, 09:44
That's a shame! Hope you're both feeling 100% soon.

Seeker
07-31-2006, 16:11
newfound gap to clingman's dome in the smokies might be a nice short hike, and close to you... the mount collins shelter is about halfway there. you could then go on to double spring (i think?). if you develop any 'issues' during the first leg, you can bail onto the clingman's dome access road for help. i used to take my kids to the mount collins shelter for overnighters when i lived in knoxville...

another nice, evenly-rising trail is the middle prong trail behind the tremont institute... it follows an old railroad grade, which makes it pretty wide, smooth, and evenly pitched in many places... but there is one stretch of about a quarter mile or so that's covered with little ankle-twisting rocks, and the last part going up to the AT, by indian flats falls, is a little steep, but you can turn off to a backcountry campsite just after the falls, if you need to shorten the day.

the abrams falls trail is ok, but crowded, at least this time of year.

FLHiker
07-31-2006, 16:20
Elkmont up the little river trail to Three Forks campsite (30) is real nice - a few creek crossings - but an even grade. However, Rough creek Campsite (about 1/2 way up) was closed due to bears about 2 weeks ago. Or you could hang a right and go to Fishcamp Prong camp site (23) (at the base of where Goshen Prong Trail gets nasty.)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-31-2006, 16:26
I considered Clingmans to Newfound, but have heard there are multiple blowdown on the trail in that area this year. I'm not ready to climb a lot of blowdowns with a pack on just yet.

I hike Middle prong fairly frequently as a practice hike, but usually only to intersection with wildcat creek because of those little rocks.

The backpacking won't be happening for a little while. The male dino did some serious damage to his left hand on Saturday in a woodworking accident. I doubt he will be able to hike - much less backpack - for about a month or longer. He may lose one of his fingers and the use of another.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-31-2006, 16:28
I also looked at Elkmont - it is overrun with tourons right now, but will clear out by the time my dear dino is able to hike.

FLHiker
07-31-2006, 16:29
You don't have to hike very far to get out of the Elkmont Tourists :D range.

Ewker
07-31-2006, 16:52
The backpacking won't be happening for a little while. The male dino did some serious damage to his left hand on Saturday in a woodworking accident. I doubt he will be able to hike - much less backpack - for about a month or longer. He may lose one of his fingers and the use of another.

:eek: yikes so sorry to hear that.