PDA

View Full Version : 'Haunting Evidence" episode on murders near AT

QHShowoman
07-11-2006, 11:45
I've been watching this show - 'Haunting Evidence' - on Court TV since it started a couple of weeks ago. Basically, a team of psychics conduct their own investigation into unsolved crimes. This week's episode features an investigation into the murders of Lollie Winans and Julianne Williams, who were murdered in SNP near the AT. The murder is believed to be a hate crime and although a suspect was indicted in 2002, charges were dropped.

For more info on this show: http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/haunting_evidence/episodes/101.html

Cuffs
07-11-2006, 12:15
You beat me to it! I saw the preview last nite and was going to post the same info!!

I'll be watching!

the goat
07-11-2006, 12:19
wow, i remember when they appehended the piece of human debris who allegedly perpetrated these murders. i never realized that they let him go!

do you know what their grounds were for his release?

when is the show airing?

Sly
07-11-2006, 12:27
The show supposed to be on tomorrow night 7/12 at 10:30PM

QHShowoman
07-11-2006, 12:55
do you know what their grounds were for his release?

This article pretty much details it all...

http://www.readthehook.com/stories/2004/03/19/coverAfterRiceNewQuestions.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-11-2006, 13:50
This article pretty much details it all...

http://www.readthehook.com/stories/2004/03/19/coverAfterRiceNewQuestions.htmlInteresting. It appears DNA evidence (male hair found on duct tape used to bind the women) ruled the man indicted out as the killer. However, it is apparent from other things in this article that this man may well have been involved in many assualts on women in the area.

Max Power
07-11-2006, 14:07
Interestingly enough, human remains were found near the AT Friday in Maryland. The bones seem to have been there for several years. Not much info has been released.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 14:39
Interestingly enough, human remains were found near the AT Friday in Maryland. The bones seem to have been there for several years. Not much info has been released.

I believe you are talking about the old remains found at Pen-Mar. Since the AT goes right thru the community It's more than likely not a hiker but that of a suicide or body just dumped there. Trail areas and their access make for good dumping grounds.

Max Power
07-11-2006, 14:42
Yes indeed, that is what I was talking about. Like you, I don't think it will be a hiker or related to hiker.

Vi+
07-11-2006, 14:58
It’s hard to believe someone spends time watching or expecting something “real” based upon a psychic. Now comes the entire team of psychics. Wow.

Ridge
07-11-2006, 15:01
The AT lies in the middle of the highest density of people in the US. You've got millions of people in driving distance and 4 million a year that use the trail. You're bound to have a token body or two just because of this. Any remote area makes for a good place to commit suicide, dump a body or dump garbage. As for hikers, The murder rate of hikers on the AT has got to be one of the lowest in the world. The Vatican in Rome even has its murders.

QHShowoman
07-11-2006, 15:30
It’s hard to believe someone spends time watching or expecting something “real” based upon a psychic. Now comes the entire team of psychics. Wow.

Oh, but believe -- I love watching shows like this! "Most Haunted," "Ghost Hunters," "Psychic Witness, " etc. -- "Ghost Hunters" being my favorite (seriously, what can beat a show about Roto-Rooter men investigating haunted places?).

I have no expectations of these shows other than to be entertained ...

fivefour
07-13-2006, 08:36
the show felt beyond fake to me ...

QHShowoman
07-13-2006, 09:09
I had to Tivo it because it conflicted with the season premiere of "Project Runway." I'll watch it tonight.

I wish that the episodes of "Haunting Evidence" focused less of the psychic aspect, but more on how perhaps law enforcement reopened their cases with clues uncovered by the psychics ... although I don't know if a psychic clue is legal fodder enough to reopen a case.

wilconow
07-13-2006, 09:45
I believe you are talking about the old remains found at Pen-Mar. Since the AT goes right thru the community It's more than likely not a hiker but that of a suicide or body just dumped there. Trail areas and their access make for good dumping grounds.

Was this in a newspaper?
Do you know if a hiker just stumbled upon the remains?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 09:46
I wish that the episodes of "Haunting Evidence" focused less of the psychic aspect, but more on how perhaps law enforcement reopened their cases with clues uncovered by the psychics ... although I don't know if a psychic clue is legal fodder enough to reopen a case.If a murder long ago is unsolved, the case is still open - it is what is called a cold case (one that is not solved in the first year). Cold cases can be activated at any time new information comes to light.

Clues from psychics are used in the same manner as tips from the public that are phoned in - they are checked out to see if they are valid. A psychic's clue in and off itself is not admissible evidence in court in this state - I'm not sure about other states, but I would be surprised if any recognize psychic visions as fact.

mindi
07-13-2006, 12:46
I watched this last night and it disturbed me...despite logically knowing that crime on the AT is very low and that it's safer than walking around my own town at night, it was such a horrible crime. All the psychic stuff aside, I hope that whoever committed it is brought to justice whether it is Rice or another person and that nobody forgets about these two women until the case is solved.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 13:06
Last night's episode plus the reading I've done about the prime suspect (David Rice) has convinced me think David Rice is not the perp in this double murder. The reasons:
Rice has only approached lone women in the past
Rice has always appraoch women on roadways and sped away in his truck
Rice never displayed a weapon
Rice has used deception to lure his victims into an unsafe environment (his truck) to commit his crimes

Rices MO is very different from the facts in the double murder -
the victims were about a mile from the nearest road
the victims where not lured to a more controlled environment before being killed
there were two women instead of a lone woman
a weapon was used (likely a hunting knife) and the killer was very familiar with using the weapon (as evidenced by how quickly he was able to kill the victims).

Max Power
07-13-2006, 14:55
Frolicking Dinosaur,
I just finished today "Murder at Belmont." by Sebastian Junger. You should read it if you haven't already.
Great Book!

Skyline
07-13-2006, 15:25
I had to Tivo it because it conflicted with the season premiere of "Project Runway." I'll watch it tonight.

I wish that the episodes of "Haunting Evidence" focused less of the psychic aspect, but more on how perhaps law enforcement reopened their cases with clues uncovered by the psychics ... although I don't know if a psychic clue is legal fodder enough to reopen a case.

Well, if only there WERE some new psychic clues revealed on this installment of "Haunting Evidence." Everything the alleged paranormals "divined" on-camera has been reported elsewhere. Are we really supposed to act like fools and believe the narrator's claim that the trio of "psychics" were not told any of the details of the case beforehand? And then be impressed when they "uncover" fact after fact that anyone can google?

The producers didn't even get it right. The episode was titled "Appalachian Trail." The murders took place down a then-abandoned horse trail (since rehabbed and in use again) quite a distance from the AT. Julie and Lolie, the victims, were doing circuit hikes in SNP according to their week-long itinerary and backcountry permit--very little of which involved the AT. Their campsite, where their bodies were found, was located across a stream from this horse trail.

I can't believe I wasted 30 minutes of my life on this trash last night.

This show was as phony as Miss Cleo's 900 numbers.

the goat
07-13-2006, 15:37

miss cleo's not for real?:eek:

Lone Wolf
07-13-2006, 15:50
Psychics are are buncha BS. Palm readers are the sht though!:D

fivefour
07-13-2006, 15:56
I can't believe I wasted 30 minutes of my life on this trash last night.

my thoughts exactly ... i even set the alarm so i wouldn't sleep thru it. blegh

Ridge
07-13-2006, 16:00
"Palm Reader": That'll be 10 bucks for my reading your palm!!

"Hiker"(walking away): If you where worth a crap you'd know I didn't have $10.

Skyline
07-13-2006, 17:12
"Palm Reader": That'll be 10 bucks for my reading your palm!!

"Hiker"(walking away): If you where worth a crap you'd know I didn't have $10.

Miss Cleo (well actually, the company in Baltimore that employed her as a spokesperson) didn't do much better. A lot of the people who called their 900 numbers--typically low income folk--ran up such huge bills that there was no way they could pay, and so used various ruses to get out of paying. You would think anyone truly gifted might have picked up on that over the phone. :-)

K0OPG
07-13-2006, 17:23
Wait...Wait...I think I'm feeling a vibe....yes...yes...everyone thought it was BS...and we also feel cheated for wasting our time. Wow, I could have my own show!!!

God, I cannot believe I switched from Stephen King for that.

Why do physics always ask for your name and phone number??? Shouldn't they already know?

Lone Wolf
07-13-2006, 19:01
Physics is more different than psychics.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-13-2006, 20:19
Isn't that Steven Hawking guy like the world's greatest psychic, or something?

Lone Wolf
07-13-2006, 21:08
Isn't that Steven Hawking guy like the world's greatest psychic, or something?
Naw. Steve is one genius mofo. Don't let the gimp factor fool you. Psychics live in double wides.

Skidsteer
07-13-2006, 21:14
Psychics live in double wides.

Funniest thing I've heard all day! :D

fivefour
07-14-2006, 08:31
uhmmm ... can you tell me what i am thinking right now ?

Ridge
07-14-2006, 23:37
Remains at Pen Mar now has a Name........Missing since the 80's

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0706/344486.html