PDA

View Full Version : anyone thru-hiked with a small Parrot or other bird?

Mother's Finest
07-11-2006, 16:10
this post is intended more for comedy than any attempt at reality....

that said, if anyone has seen/heard/experienced a fellow hiker on the trail with their companion bird, please post the info.

peace
mf

Lone Wolf
07-11-2006, 16:12
Ain't never seen that in all my years. I saw a guy hiking with a ferret once.

Singe03
07-11-2006, 16:14
It would be fitting if Pirate were the first to try...

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 16:20
this post is intended more for comedy than any attempt at reality....

that said, if anyone has seen/heard/experienced a fellow hiker on the trail with their companion bird, please post the info.

peace
mf

Don't get me started!

Birds should be banned from the trail. Don't you realize how many diseases they carry. Do you want them spreading it around to all the native birds?

Not to mention the hazards they pose to other hikers. I have the scars to prove it!

Birds should be, if not outright banned, at least kept on a leash for the safety of others.

And parrot crap! You'd think the owners would at least have the decency to take their birds off trail to take a dump....:D

D'Artagnan
07-11-2006, 16:28
Don't get me started!

Birds should be banned from the trail. Don't you realize how many diseases they carry. Do you want them spreading it around to all the native birds?

Not to mention the hazards they pose to other hikers. I have the scars to prove it!

Birds should be, if not outright banned, at least kept on a leash for the safety of others.

And parrot crap! You'd think the owners would at least have the decency to take their birds off trail to take a dump....:D

And how many times have you seen somebody's damn bird take a leak on somebody else's sleeping bag?!?!?!? :D

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 16:39
And how many times have you seen somebody's damn bird take a leak on somebody else's sleeping bag?!?!?!? :D

Yup. And it's getting so that finding room in a shelter after a day of hiking in the rain is nigh impossible due to all the bird-hikers. Any other hiker would do their best to make room but not those selfish bastards. It's all about them and their precious birds!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-11-2006, 16:55
Birds on the trail are a nuisance. However, they do come in handy when your down needs to be replenished.

Hindsfeet
07-11-2006, 17:02
Dang gone bird nearly bit my ear off one time, Twas at a neighbors house and the kids put a parrot on me sholder and while it rolled droppins down the back of me shirt it also desided to peirce my arrrr. I be pissed to see that bird again...Now wild outdoor birds I love when they sang.

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 17:09
Birds on the trail are a nuisance.However, they do come in handy when your down needs to be replenished.

Well...They are multi-use, to be sure. One bird-hiker I met just raved and raved about how smart his cockatiel was. He claimed to have trained it to find and remove ticks from his hard-to-reach places.

papa john
07-11-2006, 17:23
I am thinking about bringing my owl so that I can sleep in the shelters and not worry about mice.

The Solemates
07-11-2006, 17:24
Birds on the trail are a nuisance. However, they do come in handy when your down needs to be replenished.

now that's funny.

hopefulhiker
07-11-2006, 17:26
On the AT near Moohusic Notch there were a couple of Canadian Jays that ate out of my hand..

corentin
07-11-2006, 17:27
And there is nothing so annoying as trying to sleep at night and hearing "Awwwwkkk, Polly saw a bear".

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 17:35
I am thinking about bringing my owl so that I can sleep in the shelters and not worry about mice.

See? That's what I'm talking about. You see nothing wrong with ticking off the rodent lovers in the hiking community. And besides that, what will the snakes eat when your "pet" owl gets done cleaning out the shelter?

Rendezvous01
07-11-2006, 18:13

Captain Hook (2004) hiked with an avian companion named Luck Duck--I remember they kept a trailjournals journal. L.D. was as dirty as most human thru-hikers by the end--seems everyone loses his sense of decency. Dirty down isn't as insulative as clean down, though, so maybe it was a defense mechanism. L.D. silently declined the cold Heineken I offered to him a few miles south of Vt. 9 over the 4th of July weekend that summer, but the Cap'n was pleased.

Two Speed
07-11-2006, 18:23
See? That's what I'm talking about. You see nothing wrong with ticking off the rodent lovers in the hiking community. And besides that, what will the snakes eat when your "pet" owl gets done cleaning out the shelter?A considerate bird hiker would cut his/her bird into bite size pieces and hand feed the snake.

Now aren't you embarrassed that you didn't already know that? Sheeez. ;)

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 18:25
A considerate bird hiker would cut his/her bird into bite size pieces and hand feed the snake.

Now aren't you embarrassed that you didn't already know that? Sheeez. ;)

Circle of Life and all that?

Two Speed
07-11-2006, 18:31
Circle of Life and all that?Yup. Cutting a piece off of one of your digits is optional, but does demonstrate a real commitment.

Or, in my case, that would demonstrate a real lack of motor coordination and judgement. Generally these episodes have been alcohol induced.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-11-2006, 18:34
I always though you cut off the digit after the copperhead bit your finger while you were feeding it your bird (after recycling the down, of course)

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 18:36
They're vicious, I tell you.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0610/p01s03-usgn.html

Two Speed
07-11-2006, 18:37
Well, now you are geting a bit technical. We don't want load Skids with SO much info that he decides not to take his owl with him.

Besides, how we will we get the really cool photo of Skids dancing around with a snake hanging off of his thumb if we scare him off?

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 18:42
I always though you cut off the digit after the copperhead bit your finger while you were feeding it your bird (after recycling the down, of course)

I'm all for it so long as the digit in question is your bird finger. I'm against birds of any sort on the trail.

hikerjohnd
07-11-2006, 19:51
The only birds hikers should bring on the trail need to be Kentucky Fried!

Skidsteer
07-11-2006, 19:56
The only birds hikers should bring on the trail need to be Kentucky Fried!

UL'ers can just bring eleven secret herbs and spices.

hikerjohnd
07-11-2006, 19:58
UL'ers can just bring eleven secret herbs and spices.

too funny! :D:D:D

Fofer
07-12-2006, 17:06
If I see a bird and it trys to attack me I'mm going to use my gun to shoot it and hold the lousy so and so bird owners until the cops get there.

emerald
07-12-2006, 17:07
I heard Minnesota Smith is hiking with a bird or did someone say he is a bird? Well, actually I'm not sure what I overheard and I wouldn't want to start any rumors.;)

emerald
07-12-2006, 17:10
Sorry, wrong thread.

emerald
07-12-2006, 17:17
I'm a newbie and need advice. I was thinking I might like to thru-hike in 2007 with a barred owl to use as an aid in yogiing food, but I'd also like to bring a pileated woodpecker to wake me up just before first light when I want to do big miles. By the way, I was thinking of staying in the shelters. Would this be a good idea?

corentin
07-12-2006, 17:28
Just don't take a vulture, they might be confused by the way the hikers smell.

emerald
07-12-2006, 17:41
Am I correct in believing that corentin does not object to my bringing a pileated woodpecker?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-12-2006, 17:41
Just don't take a vulture, they might be confused by the way the hikers smell.Now that's funny

Fofer
07-12-2006, 17:42
Am I correct in believing that corentin does not object to my bringing a pileated woodpecker?

just make sure it starts looking for bug while everyone is asleep.

Ridge
07-12-2006, 19:40
I always carry two birds with me, just for those dog-hikers.

Lone Wolf
07-12-2006, 19:43
I was born with "the bird" extended first.

TDale
07-12-2006, 20:01
And there is nothing so annoying as trying to sleep at night and hearing "Awwwwkkk, Polly saw a bear".

nOw, THAT was funny. YMMV.

Darwin again
07-12-2006, 22:26
I always carry two birds, one in each hand, right between my 2nd and 4th fingers. And I'll flip them every now and then as the whim strikes me. :banana

NICKTHEGREEK
07-13-2006, 07:59
Tried but it kept on trying to mate with my down bag.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-13-2006, 09:57
Tried but it kept on trying to mate with my down bag.::: mopping coffee off my monitor :::