PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited Rogers' Family Update.

One Leg
07-12-2006, 05:30
Greetings:

It seems like forever and a day since I've posted anything on here, and thought I'd give you guys an unsolicited update as to what's been going on in my life.

Some of you knew that from January - April, I was shacking up with LilRedMg and her husband while I was attending college in Nashville. I really enjoyed the time I spent with them, but being the family-oriented person that I am, I really couldn't stand the temporary separation from my wife and kids. When the semester ended, I opted not to return. Instead, I've been attending Walter State College in neighboring Morristown getting my core classes out of the way, and will enter the Jefferson State Community College (Birmingham) online course, enabling me to remain with my family while pursuing higher education.

Being back in East Tennessee has also allowed me to pursue my second nature: hiking. Aside from re-doing the Fontana Dam - Davenport Gap section, I've also been hiking on the Daniel Boone Trail in Ky. & Virginia. Once completed, it's supposed to "T" into the A.T. It's really an awesome trail.

All of our children are doing really great. Tyler (M&M) recently obtained his learners license, and hogs the drivers seat each time we have to go anywhere. We incessantly tease him about "pimping the family minivan", and have threatened to get some of those horrid spinner hubcaps just to embarrass him. He's really grown and matured into a fine young man. He's gotten himself a couple of mowing contracts, and stays busy making sure that his work is impeccable.

Hannah is now babysitting on a fulltime basis for 8 month & 21 month old siblings. Cheyenne & Thomas (the siblings) have a sad story behind them, and the long and short of it is that they are in our home more than they're in their own. Hannah's really done well with them, and the difference has shown in their lives.

Casey (Cricket) just turned 12, but is still the same innocent young girl that you may remember. She has such a joy and radiance about her that you can't help but to smile when you're around her. It's difficult to believe that my baby girl is going to be a teenager in just a year.

Caleb (Middleman) is 8, and loves working alongside me at whatever I happen to be doing. He's really grown to love doing outdoor yard work, and beams about the fact that he has his own weed eater and mower. (I just hope that excitement lasts through his teenage years, and that he still enjoys mowing the yard then.) He and I go fishing together at least once every 2 weeks, and we're working on his small boat, appropriately named "Middle-Man". He gets really irritated that he can't accompany me on my mail route.

Jacob, 5, is developing a strong love for hiking. He, literally, begs me to take him hiking. We're leaving later today to hike some in Kentucky, and will overnight for the first time. He's sooooooooo excited.

Elijah, 3, is a total handful by himself. His middle name is Zachary, making his initials "E.Z."..... He is anything but EZ... We're trying to channel all of that energy into a positive direction, and are making small, but sure progress.

Josiah, our "trail baby" (conceived on the A.T.), just turned 16 months old. He's as big as a thanksgiving turkey, and recently discovered that he has ultimate power just by closing his mouth tightly...On various portions of other folks' bodies. He's a biter, and seems to take great pride in the fact that he can make someone else cry out in pain. We're praying that he grows out of that VERY soon.

Leisa (Wonder Woman) is doing really good. We recently had a scare where we thought that she might lose her right eye. She was sitting in our living room holding Elijah, when another child attempted to take away his sucker that he'd been holding. Instinctively, he snatched his hand back. The sucker stick impaled her eyeball. Thankfully, the damage was minimal. She did suffer some vision loss, and will require glasses, but it could've been a lot worse. We recently celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary, and I'm so very proud of her for standing by me through thick and thin. She's the best wife a guy could have, and I love her so much.

We're also in the process of adding to our family again. We've been taking P.A.T.H. classes for 7 weeks in preparation for adopting a 4 year old boy named Jeff. He suffers from Waardenburg Syndrome, a birth defect characterized by deafness and mobility impairments. We learned about him through a mutual friend, and immediately fell in love with him. We're looking forward to bringing him home and welcoming him into our family. We hope to have him here by Christmas.

A lot of folks have asked us why we're adopting when we already have so many kids of our own, and I'm sure some of you are probably wondering that too. I'll explain:

When Leisa and I married, she was a Special Education teacher. Aside from providing her with a good paycheck, I never really gave much thought to the kids that she taught. I did my thing, she did hers.

When I became "disabled" in 1998, my eyes were opened in a whole new way. I realized that I really wasn't all that different from the kids that she taught. Then, I got to thinking about suffering, and what it really meant. Oh, I thought that I'd suffered, but had I really??

Leisa and I had talked for years about the possibility of one day adopting more children, but it was always just talk. When I got to thinking about disabled kids and suffering, it really amazed me at the vast number of adoptable children out there who are 'undesirable' just because they don't have 10 fingers, 10 toes, aren't able to hear you say "I love you" or couldn't reciprocate the love held for them.

They were plucked from the only home they knew, removed from the only safety and security known to them, and placed in various foster homes for whatever reason. I've since learned that, -SOME of the children-even if their home life was a bad one, that they still found safety and security in their surroundings. Some were removed from the home for neglect, abuse, or parents relinquished their parental rights because they were simply unable to cope, deal with, or emotionally handle a disabled child. The latter category is where Jeff falls.

So, here's little Jeff, removed from his home through absolutely no fault of his own. The only safety and security he's ever known is gone. He's bounced from one foster home to another and really has no security in knowing where he'll be next week. Couple that with the fact that he can't hear or walk, and I believe that is a very true form of suffering. (Granted, he isn't in agonizing physical pain, he still suffers emotionally.)

When I started to think about suffering from that point of view, it really made me feel pathetic to even think that I'd even remotely suffered. Oh, my lifestyle was drastically altered, my little world that I'd created was different, but I really hadn't suffered at all. I still had my family, and that was what mattered most.

So, with room in our hearts, and room in our home, we're going through the process to make Jeff a member of our family. And what's so weird about all of this is the fact that we have 100% agreement within our home about Jeff. There isn't a one among us who harbors opposition about bringing him in. I can't wait to introduce him to you. You'll love him as much as we do.

I guess that about brings you up to speed with us. I've missed you all, and look forward to once again reconnecting with you.

Thanks for letting me share....

Scott "One-Leg" Rogers

Lone Wolf
07-12-2006, 06:18
Good to hear from you. Are you gonna be at The Gathering in Pipestem this year?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-12-2006, 07:08
Wonderful to hear from you. Glad you've found a way to still get your education without having to be away from home as long.

Many kudos to you and Leisa for adopting a special needs child. I worked in the foster care system for years and have seen many, many children like Jeff go unadopted. As you mention, children grieve the loss of even the worst home situation and the worst parents. They grieve the loss of subsequent foster homes. Protective service workers take a lot of flack for not removing children from situations that seem intolerable to the general public, but knowing the damage done to a child by removal makes most social workers view removal as an absolute last resort to protect a child from harm that will be worse than what is going to happen as the result of a removal from the home.

It sounds like Jeff had parents that loved him enough to realize they could not handle his special needs. Teenage parents, emotionally immature parents and parents with mental health or substance abuse problems of their own often realize they are in over their head when faced with the day-to-day realities of raising a special needs child. Such parents are ill equipped to deal with raising a child without special needs. When faced with the added responsibilities a special needs child brings, they can react in a variety of ways (abuse, neglect and abandonment are common). The most loving way is to give the child to someone who can give him or her the love and care he or she deserves.

Your thoughts on suffering parallel my own. I've had a life-altering event, but what I've been through is more of a trial than suffering. Coming back was hard (as it no doubt was for you), but it was not true suffering. My trial has resulted in some pretty significant rewards. The young man that hit us has now been off of drugs for almost two years, is back in college making As & Bs and has graduated from the drug court program. When his probation for the felony charges is over, I will go with him to governor to ask for his record to be expunged (the felonies removed). Also, the physical therapist that was stealing drugs from my purse during my therapy has been off drugs now for 19 months. She is in the impaired professionals program and does peer counseling with others in her situation. She has thanked me for saving her life by getting her arrested. It sounds like your trial may be about to reap similar rewards via Jeff's adoption. As you know, we reap ten-fold what we sow.

Glad to hear that your children are doing well. Hope you get 'trail baby' Josiah's biting under control soon. Sounds like Hannah is doing some reward planting of her own. Wonder where she learned to do this :D?

What a scare with Leisa's eye! Glad it was not damaged beyond repair.

Looking forward to seeing your pimped minivan with the handsome young man at the wheel :D.

One Leg
07-12-2006, 07:13
Good to hear from you. Are you gonna be at The Gathering in Pipestem this year?

That's the first I've heard of it... Send me the info, and if I'm free, I'm there.

Lone Wolf
07-12-2006, 07:18
www.aldha.org/gathering.htm

Lone Wolf
07-12-2006, 07:19
www.aldha.org

One Leg
07-12-2006, 07:21
Thanks Wolfe... I'll check out the dates. Is this the same thing we both attended a couple of years ago in W.Va.? If so, I'm really gonna do my best to be there...

Lone Wolf
07-12-2006, 07:25
Yes it sure is.

Mother Nature
07-12-2006, 07:54
Great to read the recent update about the family! They are such wonderful kids.

Josiah is a handful! Can't imagine him as a land shark!

Glad to hear the Leisa's eye has suffered only minimal damage. What a scare!

Tyler driving! My how time flies. He is a wonderful young man!

Pass around hugs to your family, including Tim

Mother Nature and Smokestack

TOW
07-12-2006, 08:53
We're also in the process of adding to our family again. We've been taking P.A.T.H. classes for 7 weeks in preparation for adopting a 4 year old boy named Jeff. He suffers from Waardenburg Syndrome, a birth defect characterized by deafness and mobility impairments. We learned about him through a mutual friend, and immediately fell in love with him. We're looking forward to bringing him home and welcoming him into our family. We hope to have him here by Christmas.

A lot of folks have asked us why we're adopting when we already have so many kids of our own, and I'm sure some of you are probably wondering that too. I'll explain:

When Leisa and I married, she was a Special Education teacher. Aside from providing her with a good paycheck, I never really gave much thought to the kids that she taught. I did my thing, she did hers.

When I became "disabled" in 1998, my eyes were opened in a whole new way. I realized that I really wasn't all that different from the kids that she taught. Then, I got to thinking about suffering, and what it really meant. Oh, I thought that I'd suffered, but had I really??

Leisa and I had talked for years about the possibility of one day adopting more children, but it was always just talk. When I got to thinking about disabled kids and suffering, it really amazed me at the vast number of adoptable children out there who are 'undesirable' just because they don't have 10 fingers, 10 toes, aren't able to hear you say "I love you" or couldn't reciprocate the love held for them.

They were plucked from the only home they knew, removed from the only safety and security known to them, and placed in various foster homes for whatever reason. I've since learned that, -SOME of the children-even if their home life was a bad one, that they still found safety and security in their surroundings. Some were removed from the home for neglect, abuse, or parents relinquished their parental rights because they were simply unable to cope, deal with, or emotionally handle a disabled child. The latter category is where Jeff falls.

So, here's little Jeff, removed from his home through absolutely no fault of his own. The only safety and security he's ever known is gone. He's bounced from one foster home to another and really has no security in knowing where he'll be next week. Couple that with the fact that he can't hear or walk, and I believe that is a very true form of suffering. (Granted, he isn't in agonizing physical pain, he still suffers emotionally.)

When I started to think about suffering from that point of view, it really made me feel pathetic to even think that I'd even remotely suffered. Oh, my lifestyle was drastically altered, my little world that I'd created was different, but I really hadn't suffered at all. I still had my family, and that was what mattered most.

So, with room in our hearts, and room in our home, we're going through the process to make Jeff a member of our family. And what's so weird about all of this is the fact that we have 100% agreement within our home about Jeff. There isn't a one among us who harbors opposition about bringing him in. I can't wait to introduce him to you. You'll love him as much as we do.

I guess that about brings you up to speed with us. I've missed you all, and look forward to once again reconnecting with you.

Thanks for letting me share....

Scott "One-Leg" Rogers

I sure hope I get to meet you guys......I just recently met LilRed when she hiked through here, man can that woman cook!

One Leg
07-12-2006, 09:04
I sure hope I get to meet you guys......I just recently met LilRed when she hiked through here, man can that woman cook!

So can Mick, her husband... He cooks the ABSOLUTE BEST burgers I've ever tasted.

Just thinkin' about it makes me wanna make a mad dash back to White House!!

MOWGLI
07-12-2006, 09:05
Always good to hear from you Scott! You're an amazing man. And a hechuva a hiker too! I hope to see you at the ALDHA gathering.

PS: I've got a great photo of you & Model-T at the '04 Gathering. I'll try and post it in the photo gallery today.

One Leg
07-12-2006, 09:16
Always good to hear from you Scott! You're an amazing man. And a hechuva a hiker too! I hope to see you at the ALDHA gathering.

PS: I've got a great photo of you & Model-T at the '04 Gathering. I'll try and post it in the photo gallery today.

Hey Jeff:

So good to hear from you. I just read about your daughter. Wow, what can I say?? You're a blessed man. I can't wait to see you...

Scott

the goat
07-12-2006, 09:30
great to hear from you, one leg, glad to hear all's well!

One Leg
07-12-2006, 09:34
Great to read the recent update about the family! They are such wonderful kids.

Josiah is a handful! Can't imagine him as a land shark!

Glad to hear the Leisa's eye has suffered only minimal damage. What a scare!

Tyler driving! My how time flies. He is a wonderful young man!

Pass around hugs to your family, including Tim

Mother Nature and Smokestack

Sue!!

Can't believe I missed your post.

Josiah isn't near as much a handful as Elijah is, but Elijah doesn't bite either!!

Yes, Leisa's eye damage was quite the scare. She looked horrid for a couple of weeks afterward, and threatened to tell folks that I smacked her.. Good thing we didn't run into anyone who believed her!!

Your sentiments regarding Tyler are only echoed 1,000 times by myself. There isn't enough good that I can say about that "boy". He's sure a godsend to this undeserving dad.

Hugs passed. Tim's no longer here. He can't stay put anywhere for any length of time. Last I heard, he was somewhere between Ga. and N.C. following the white blazes of the interstate. Can't accuse him of gathering moss!

Hope to see you again soon, and this time, tell Pete to be there!

Love you!
Scott

One Leg
07-12-2006, 09:36
great to hear from you, one leg, glad to hear all's well!

Great Goat Almighty! How in the world have you been??

Speaking of goats: Anyone heard from SMS? How's he doing nowadays?

MOWGLI
07-12-2006, 09:40

No word on this board in months. Maybe someone has corresponded privately. I'm curious too. Last I heard he had a new love interest. That'll take your mind off the internet - in a heartbeat!

the goat
07-12-2006, 09:48

i'm well, haven't been hiking nearly as much as i should as of late, but i'm hoping to remedy that situation on the pct next year.

as for SMS, i haven't a clue what he's doing, seems like forever since he's been on here......

SGT Rock
07-12-2006, 09:59
Good to hear all is fine with the clan Scott. I hope to see ya'll in the spring.

Lone Wolf
07-12-2006, 10:00

He smoked himself into oblivion.:cool:

One Leg
07-12-2006, 10:07
He smoked himself into oblivion.:cool:

LOL!! You made me shoot Mt Dew oudda m'nose...

One Leg
07-12-2006, 10:08
Good to hear all is fine with the clan Scott. I hope to see ya'll in the spring.

Can't wait to see you, Rock.. How's the rocker holding up over there?

Lilred
07-12-2006, 10:52
Hey Scott,
Good to hear all the news. My Tyler got my sister's car when she moved to Key West and we can't get him to drive to save our lives. Don't know what's wrong with that kid. I think he's afraid if he gets his license, he'll spend all his time running errands for me. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Glad to hear all is well. We miss you and your great sense of humor around here. You know you're welcome anytime.
Glad to know Leisa is all right. Talk about getting sucker punched eh??.....
May God bless you richly for adopting that child. I'm sure you'll reap many rewards.
I just finished my section hike this summer. Got as far as Bland and called it quits. Spent way too much time in hostels and hotels this time. I'm learning lots of do's and don'ts for when I attempt a thru-hike. I got sucked into the town thing way too easily, and that's going to be a big DON'T for me on my thru. At the same time, I had a blast in Damascus. I hope to take Mick there one day soon and do the Creeper Trail with him.
Glad to hear all is going well for you and your family. Keep in touch and I'll talk to you soon.
love ya
Mary

MOWGLI
07-12-2006, 11:16

Photo posted.

One Leg
07-12-2006, 12:30
Photo posted.

Well, Model T looks pretty good. My daughter's friend just informed me that I looked "stupid"... Youth is wasted on the young.....

Jack Tarlin
07-12-2006, 16:19
Very good to hear the family report, tho I must confess that the mere thought of M&M driving is a pretty terrifying concept. I remember him on tearing around Damascus on a bicycle and that was bad enough.

Best wishes to all Rogers' large and small and hope to see you in West Virginia in October!

MOWGLI
07-12-2006, 17:45
Well, Model T looks pretty good. My daughter's friend just informed me that I looked "stupid"... Youth is wasted on the young.....

You just look a little star struck. Was it me or Model T? :p

One Leg
07-14-2006, 07:18
Hey Wanderer:

Just caught the thread about your health.. What's the latest?

Cancer?? What kind, and how bad?

I'm lookin' fwd to meeting you too... Until then, you'll remain in my prayers...

Take care...

Scott

One Leg
07-14-2006, 07:21
Very good to hear the family report, tho I must confess that the mere thought of M&M driving is a pretty terrifying concept. I remember him on tearing around Damascus on a bicycle and that was bad enough.

Best wishes to all Rogers' large and small and hope to see you in West Virginia in October!

Hey Jack!

Where you hangin' your hat these days??

Tyler's actually not as bad on 4 wheels as he was on 2. The only problem we're working on is trying to teach him not to overshoot the driveway when returning home.. He always realizes at the last possible moment that our driveway's right there, and he always has to stop, back up in the middle of the road to straighten up.. Not bad when there isn't traffic, but, one of these days.........

Lookin' forward to seeing you in West Va. as well. It'll be great to catch up with you..

-Scott

One Leg
07-14-2006, 07:28
My Tyler got my sister's car when she moved to Key West and we can't get him to drive to save our lives. Don't know what's wrong with that kid. I think he's afraid if he gets his license, he'll spend all his time running errands for me. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?
Glad to know Leisa is all right. Talk about getting sucker punched eh??.....
May God bless you richly for adopting that child. I'm sure you'll reap many rewards.
I just finished my section hike this summer. Got as far as Bland and called it quits. Spent way too much time in hostels and hotels this time. I'm learning lots of do's and don'ts for when I attempt a thru-hike. I got sucked into the town thing way too easily, and that's going to be a big DON'T for me on my thru. At the same time, I had a blast in Damascus. I hope to take Mick there one day soon and do the Creeper Trail with him.
Glad to hear all is going well for you and your family. Keep in touch and I'll talk to you soon.
love ya
Mary

Mary:

Glad that you had a good hike, and that you learned the valuable lesson of how alluring trail towns can be. It's good that you're figuring all of that out now as opposed to waiting until you start your thru.. Now if you can just get the B.O.E. to keep paying you while you hike.......

Sounds like your Tyler's the wise one indeed... I guess that in addition to realizing that he'll end up being your gopher, he's realized that he really doesn't need a license to create video games...You've got a good boy there, and I know that you're quite proud of him... Now if you can just get him to do those dang dishes without repeated reminders.. How's Michael doing in college?

That's funny about the "sucker punch"... Leisa got a good laugh out of that one.

You might get Mick to Damascus, but I'd pay good money to see him set foot on the trail... I can just see him now with those headphones and that 25 foot long keyboard... Tell him that I'm still gonna come back to N'ville just so he can get me into the Opry...

I miss y'all too.. Thanks for being you..

Your friend always,
-Scott

One Leg
07-14-2006, 07:31
You just look a little star struck. Was it me or Model T? :p

That's funny... You should see the photo I have of Model T scratching his back with my prosthetic leg. (It was unattached.) He's a riot.

How's he doing with his thru?? I'm soooo out of the loop...

-Scott

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2006, 09:26
Scott, how is school going? Are you still pursuing the same field?

One Leg
07-14-2006, 10:34
Scott, how is school going? Are you still pursuing the same field?

School's good. I came away from the spring semester with A's & B's. Still aiming for the same goal, just at a much slower pace.

At present, I'm concentrating and focusing mainly on providing for the family. I'm working for the USPS as a rural carrier relief (fill-in). I'm getting my name in the hat at post offices in 6 surrounding counties as a relief driver, so I'm anticipating that work will pick up drastically. I've also submitted my application to the main office as a mail handler.. Less hourly pay, but guaranteed 40-60 hours per week. With overtime, I'd be making just over $800/week, which is better than any prospect I've had in a long time.

While I'd love to be attending school fulltime, the reality is worlds apart. I may have to adopt Jaybird's mantra "Hiking the AT on the 20 year plan". Only for me, I'd be seeking an associates degree in ONLY 20 years, LOL....

Thanks for asking :)

-Scott