PDA

View Full Version : What's the failure rate for 2006?

Desert Lobstah
07-12-2006, 10:36
On the AT so far?

the goat
07-12-2006, 10:42
On the AT so far?

you mean people that failed to start? i can think of one:rolleyes:

Ender
07-12-2006, 10:43
0%

If you get out there for even a day, it's a success! :sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-12-2006, 11:03
Glad to see others have already stopped by to say what I would have said.

Emsadida
07-12-2006, 12:52
It's probably to soon to tell. You won't see near accurate enough numbers yet.

Jack Tarlin
07-12-2006, 16:14
Better question:

How many bitter unhappy people are there out there who've never completed a long-distance hike (or even started one) who spend their time on Trail sites harping about failure rates? Just how many of these losers are there anyway?

D'Artagnan
07-12-2006, 16:26
Just how many of these losers are there anyway?

Well, I'm pretty sure there's at least one. Of course, I don't have any statistical data to back that up -- let's just call is a hunch. :rolleyes:

Smile
07-12-2006, 18:01
All hikers are a success - they get out there and do what others never dream of!

Have to think this is a dead thread right about now....

mtnbums2000
07-12-2006, 18:14
On the AT so far?

What a stupid question...:mad:

Sly
07-12-2006, 18:39
Typically it would probably be about 70% at this stage of the GAME, with another 10% of the total to follow. So, of the 450 left, another 150 will drop out before Katahdin or Springer.

Sounds as good as anything.......... Your skewered stats may vary

dixicritter
07-12-2006, 18:45
sounds to me like a copy cat poster

Red Hat
07-15-2006, 20:13
Funny, quys like that one are the ones that made me feel like a failure in 05. But, I know that after hiking some 750 miles of AT, I've done more than most folks do in a lifetime! And I'm only 59 years young, so I've got lots of time to finish.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2006, 20:18
Red Hat, no way you are a failure! You're 10 times the man Lobstah is and your a woman.

Smile
07-15-2006, 20:39
I propose that the word FAILURE is not appropriate for use in the same sentence as hike, thru hike or AT.
:-)

stranger
07-16-2006, 01:19
I think we're talking about the drop off rate of thru-hikers here. I don't see someone who leaves Springer with the goal of thru-hiking who decides to leave the trail as a failure.

Most people don't succeed at thru-hiking, but that's for such a variety of reasons. Some find the trail boring after a while, others realize there are more important things in their life other than thru-hiking, some may underestimate the trail, get hurt, lose a loved one, etc...Many people I know used the trail to figure out what they needed and wanted in their life, and once they figured that out they left the trail.

Saying that...I think the author of the thread was just asking a question and didn't mean to dub anyone a failure. Anyone who even gets to Springer has respect in my book, atleast they had the courage to try. One last think on Failure..."If you have no failures in your life, you are not taking enough risks"

Wonder
07-16-2006, 08:11
I had to come of trail this year........I don't feel like a failure. I started figuring out who I am, and what I need to do to finish a thru next year! I also meet some of the greatest people I have ever known!

TOW
07-16-2006, 08:26
What one doesn't realize when they set out to do a complete thru hike of the AT is what lays ahead, what I am getting to here is this: "You can plan the plan, but you can never plan the results."

In my humble opinion, I believe that anyone who has placed their foot onto the AT and hiked "X" amount of days, have hiked the trail. It does not really matter to me how far you have hiked, or whether you have hiked the entire trail end to end.

I am always happy for those who have hiked the entire trail from end to end in one complete journey. I am equally as happy for those who have hiked the entire trail in only sections. And lastly, I am happy for those who have experienced anything on this great trail, whether it's one day or many days.

Different strokes for different folks.

We only fail when we decide we fail, and we only win we decide we win. The choice is ours. Along with that we are what others tell us we are when we decide to believe what it is they are saying to us.

Hike your own hike and be satisfied with it. There is no failure on the trail.....

frieden
07-16-2006, 09:22
I don't like the word "failure", because it isn't constructive. It doesn't tell you anything. It is about as useful as it's definition implies. I don't want to hear that 85% of people don't finish their thru hike of the AT. That doesn't tell me anything. It would be useful to know why these people didn't complete it. Those stats would be harder to get, not impossible, but worth it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-16-2006, 10:51
The stats for 2004 & 2005 indicate about 24% of NOBOs and about 21% of SOBO finish the entire hike these days. In my eyes, some of those are failures - they failed to enjoy the journey and to be true to themselves and their dreams. Completing the entire trail doesn't make you a success IMO. YMMV.

SGT Rock
07-16-2006, 11:33
Great points about "failure". If you hike until you stop enjoying it and go home with good memories, how is that a failure.

Off topic, but Frieden, did I read it correctly on your journal you may have to postpone your hike again past 2007?

frieden
07-16-2006, 17:48
Off topic, but Frieden, did I read it correctly on your journal you may have to postpone your hike again past 2007?

Yep, not sure yet, though. I'm moving out to Camp Pendleton in Sept., and will take over baby duty when the baby arrives in Jan. In March, my niece or the other Grandma was going to take the next baby shift in rotation, and so forth. I was going to pick up the last shift of the year after the AT. My daughter needs at home baby help for at least the first year. The family is already starting to hum-and-haw around about "other" responsibilities. I've already had to remind everyone that I dropped my life, and did this for my sister so she could stay in school - for 8 friggin' years, not to mention a long list for other family members. I think they can grow a pair, and step up to the plate for a few months! I've talked to her about the possibility of hiring a nanny for that time, and she said she was ok with that. We'll see. I don't want to delay it anymore, and it is only for a few months.

MOWGLI
07-16-2006, 18:21
Well, I failed to lose the 15 pounds that I had hoped before I start the JMT on August 11. I have succeeded in planning a 52-mile hike on the Northville Placid Trail starting on July 23 - with my 16 year old daughter Martha. Lets see what happens when we arrive at the trailhead. I expect scattered blueberries and isolated laughter. With the occasional call of a Loon tossed in.

Life is good!

Footslogger
07-16-2006, 18:36
I suppose it's all symantics but an uncompleted section or thru hike is not a failure in my opinion. Stuff happens while hiking just like it does in any other walk of life. What's important is that the individuals embraced the dream and started walking.

My wife and I just got back from hiking between Rangelely and Gorham. We hiked it southbound for logisical reasons and met several hikers (thrus and sectioners). We both gained a special appreciation for both section hikers AND southbounders on this trip (having both done our respective thru-hikes northbound - 2001 and 2003). For starters ...we came out from behind desks (so to speak) to do this hike so we now know only too well how difficult it must be to re-approach the trail and prepare to hike a section each year. Second ...we gained some valuable insight into what it feels like to be a southbounder (of sorts). OK ...so the 100 mile wilderness may not be so rough, but Mahoosuc Arm and Notch are an eye openner when you're just starting out. Heck, that can be said for most of southern Maine.

Maybe a bit off topic but the whole "failure" thing got me going.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
07-17-2006, 03:51
Yep, not sure yet, though. I'm moving out to Camp Pendleton in Sept., and will take over baby duty when the baby arrives in Jan. In March, my niece or the other Grandma was going to take the next baby shift in rotation, and so forth. I was going to pick up the last shift of the year after the AT. My daughter needs at home baby help for at least the first year. The family is already starting to hum-and-haw around about "other" responsibilities. I've already had to remind everyone that I dropped my life, and did this for my sister so she could stay in school - for 8 friggin' years, not to mention a long list for other family members. I think they can grow a pair, and step up to the plate for a few months! I've talked to her about the possibility of hiring a nanny for that time, and she said she was ok with that. We'll see. I don't want to delay it anymore, and it is only for a few months.

Well sorry to hear you may need to push back, but congratulations on becoming a Grandmother. Welcome to the club :D

Your daughter is in the Marines if I remember correctly. I know a great deal about Army and how they deal with dependent children and such, but not a lot about the Marines. However I currently work with some Marines so if you need some info or advice let me know. I will attempt to find out.

But if you end up pushing to '08 you always have some friends out there.

Ridge
07-17-2006, 04:19
Failure Rate. Probably about the usual. Approximately 75-80 percent failure.

Lone Wolf
07-17-2006, 05:09
Well sorry to hear you may need to push back, but congratulations on becoming a Grandmother. Welcome to the club :D

Your daughter is in the Marines if I remember correctly. I know a great deal about Army and how they deal with dependent children and such, but not a lot about the Marines. However I currently work with some Marines so if you need some info or advice let me know. I will attempt to find out.

But if you end up pushing to '08 you always have some friends out there.
If the Marine Corps wanted you you to have a spouse or children they would have issued you them.:cool:

SGT Rock
07-17-2006, 05:20
Same thing we say about the Army.

My wife doesn't agree though :D