PDA

View Full Version : Mahoosuc Notch - Questions

RITBlake
07-12-2006, 12:00
I was looking at some of my pictures from the thru hike today and when I came across the Mahoosuc Notch pictures it really made me wonder. I want to know what is it that makes it possible for there to be thick sheets of ice and snow in the middle of June? How does this stuff not melt and why is it so cold in the Mahoosuc Notch? When does the snow/ice finally disappear?

icemanat95
07-12-2006, 12:25
Well, sometimes the ice and snow DOESN'T dissappear. What makes it last so long is that the sides of the notch are very steep on both sides. Snow piles up down at the bottom when it is blown off the cliffs above and settles down in the hole. Because the mountains make their own weather, more snow tends to fall. It builds in VERY deep, packs down hard and because the notch is so deep and narrow, it pretty much stays in the shadows all the time, except perhaps at noon. With minimal sunlight, it just doesn't get that hot down there.

RITBlake
07-12-2006, 15:53
interesting, the notch was one of my favorite stretches of the trip. How weird to be sitting on snow and ice in the middle of the Summer.

chomp
07-12-2006, 15:58
There are a few places like this in New Hampshire... King Ravine and Ice Gulch to name two fairly popular areas. I was just in King Rave two weekends ago, and there was plenty of snow and ice to be found. There was even a side trail called "Ice Caves" that lived up to its name.

fiddlehead
07-12-2006, 21:36
Anybody remember the dead moose in one of those holes back in '89?
And someone stuck a cigerette in his mouth. (too bad i didn't carry a camera back then)

Mr. Clean
07-13-2006, 19:19
My favorite part of the Notch was the sound of running water somewhere below me as I clambered under and over the boulders. Very cool.

weary
07-13-2006, 23:17
Well, sometimes the ice and snow DOESN'T dissappear. What makes it last so long is that the sides of the notch are very steep on both sides. Snow piles up down at the bottom when it is blown off the cliffs above and settles down in the hole. Because the mountains make their own weather, more snow tends to fall. It builds in VERY deep, packs down hard and because the notch is so deep and narrow, it pretty much stays in the shadows all the time, except perhaps at noon. With minimal sunlight, it just doesn't get that hot down there.
The notch is about my favorite place on the trail, mostly because it is both wild and unique. But Iceman is right. Ice and snow remains well into summer because the sun rarely shines for more than an hour or two a day in the notch.

Weary

rhjanes
07-14-2006, 10:04
We lived in Great Falls Montana for a year. We had drifts from the ground, up the side of the houses, onto the roofs. We had shoveled all the snow off the drive way and over to the north side of the car-port (government housing). That snow stack FINALLY melted on the fourth of July! We had stuck some fireworks in it to help......

The Old Fhart
07-14-2006, 13:37
Fiddlehead-"Anybody remember the dead moose in one of those holes back in '89? And someone stuck a cigerette in his mouth. (too bad i didn't carry a camera back then)" I've posted a photo of the dead moose (Sept, 1987-not 1989) in Mahoosuc Notch. To see the photo go to WhiteBlaze gallery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12075)

Ridge
07-14-2006, 13:58
I've posted a photo of the dead moose (Sept, 1987-not 1989) in Mahoosuc Notch. To see the photo go to WhiteBlaze gallery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12075)

Any clues to how the Moose got in there? Wounded by Hunters, then died there? Fall?

The Old Fhart
07-14-2006, 14:18
Ridge, Please check the link and read all the info on the photo.

Ridge
07-14-2006, 14:24
Ridge, Please check the link and read all the info on the photo.

Sorry, I've never used this section of WB and really didnt know to scroll down. No need to get upset.

The Old Fhart
07-14-2006, 14:54
The Old Fhart- "Ridge, Please check the link and read all the info on the photo."
Ridge-"Sorry, I've never used this section of WB and really didnt know to scroll down. No need to get upset."
Interesting that you would interpret my politely asking you to recheck the reference as being upset-plus you actually learned something new to boot. Your comment may say more about you than about it does about me!;)

Ridge
07-14-2006, 15:17
Interesting that you would interpret my politely asking you to recheck the reference as being upset-plus you actually learned something new to boot. Your comment may say more about you than about it does about me!;)

I apologize if I mistook you for one of those keeping tabs on me and attacking me personally for any mistake or slip that happens in a posting with my name on it. That said, they'll never get me to lay off unleashed dogs on the AT or any trail.

fiddlehead
07-14-2006, 20:11
Thanks, Old Fhart, glad to see someone was carrying a camera back then.

the goat
07-14-2006, 20:49
I apologize if I mistook you for one of those keeping tabs on me and attacking me personally for any mistake or slip that happens in a posting with my name on it. That said, they'll never get me to lay off unleashed dogs on the AT or any trail.

so trail dogs are now at fault for your snapping at someone who was trying to help you?

please, seek help.

Ridge
07-14-2006, 21:06
so trail dogs are now at fault for your snapping at someone who was trying to help you?

please, seek help.

Actually, I like trail dogs, its the irresponsible owners I have a problem with.

Undershaft
07-18-2006, 11:38
There was still plenty of snow and ice in Mahoosuc Notch last week. It was in the mid 80's and humid, but the ice that remained under the boulders and in the caves provided some nice natural refrigeration. In some spots the sun was hitting the ice and creating a fine cool mist in the air that was blowing downwind through the Notch. And there was running water. It was my second time hiking through Mahoosuc Notch(last time was in the rain). Everyone always mentioned the sound of running water in the notch but said you couldn't get to it. I found about three spots where water was available in the middle of the Notch. In my opinion Mahoosuc Notch is one of the best places along the AT.

Footslogger
07-18-2006, 12:19
[quote=Undershaft]There was still plenty of snow and ice in Mahoosuc Notch last week.
===================================
We were just there ourselves. Couldn't believe all that ice. We were hiking southbound and near the end of the notch we just crawled down in a hole and sat there for a while to enjoy the natural air conditioning.

'Slogger