View Full Version : The 2-Second Tent?

dep
07-12-2006, 14:29
What do you think of this?

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2006/07/11/2second_tent_pi.html

Sorry if this is a re-post.

dep
07-12-2006, 14:44
evidentally these have been around for awhile. i hear they're heavy?

max patch
07-12-2006, 14:54
Nothing new, something similar has been out for years.

Too heavy/bulky for backpacking -- means you would consider for car camping use only.

It would certainly be entertaining for kids to erect -- but better choices are out there. BTW, I can erect my 2 3/4 lb Walrus Soloplus in less than 2 minutes.

gr8fulyankee
07-12-2006, 14:58
Bit of info:

Specifications: Two person, easy-to-open tent plus storage for gear and boots

Weight: 7 lbs 11 oz.

Dimensions: 8 ft. x 5 ft.

Height: 3 ft.

Color: Red/Orange; Red/Red, Blue and Camouflage

Functionality: Easy for kids and adults No assembly required
Tent instantly unfolds and assembles itself without poles or tethers (2 seconds)
Tent can be folded quickly into a portable carrying disc backpack (15 seconds)

Waterproof: Outer material made of 100% polyester polyurethane coating (1500 mm)
Floor material made of 100% polyethylene
100% seam sealed

Ventilation: 1 top ventilation opening to reduce condensation
2 low-level side ventilation holes
Breathable polyester for main chamber fabric

Durability: Windproof
Flame retardant shell
Solid fiberglass poles for structural resistance to breakage

Comfort: Unique double wall to keep you dry and avoid condensation
Large hole for easy non-crawling entrance into tent
Zipper Pulls Self Supporting Body structure
Inside pockets for gear storage

Sack: Fitted with backpack-type carry straps and clip-on buckles fastened to backpack

max patch
07-12-2006, 14:59
evidentally these have been around for awhile. i hear they're heavy?

Looks like we posted at the same time. Been a while since I've seen one, but IIRC close to 10 pounds and a shape that is not meant to be backpacked.

chicote
07-14-2006, 11:27
Definitely not for backpacking but would be great for car camping. Change the materials make it a single wall and you might have yourself a 4 pounder.

Just Jeff
07-14-2006, 11:36
I've used one of these before. It's very easy to set up - not so easy to take down the first few times. You have to figure out exactly how to fold it so the rings end up the right size. After that, it's pretty easy.

As the other posts said, they're not really for backpacking. I found one in a store that was probably light enough (not like a tarptent, but probably 4 lbs), and packed small enough, that some might consider it for backpacking. It didn't come with a fly and I wouldn't trust it in a storm. Car-camping, maybe, but certainly not as my only shelter as a backpacker.

The idea is a decent one for non-ultralighters, though - I bet somebody could me a decent design out of it with a bit of effort.