PDA

View Full Version : Pants for winter

vaporjourney
07-12-2006, 16:41
what kind of pants do you guys wear in the winter? I'm curious because I think i may be able to save some money by ordering in the summer, out of season. When I do day hikes I've just been wearing some curdoroys with some insulating layer underneath. I may switch to silk from wool, and avoid the insane heat that can build up with wool, and the accompanying sweat.

bigcranky
07-12-2006, 18:21
I second the idea of synthetic long johns and rain pants. In the winter I hike in shorts, and have the long johns if the weather gets really bad, or if I get chilly during breaks. The long johns are nice in camp, under the rain pants if necessary.

You can vary the weight of the long johns depending on how cold it's going to get.

vaporjourney
07-12-2006, 20:19
my only problem with constantly wearing rain pants is that you have to listen to that 'swishy' sound with every step. Small annoyance I know, but still exists. I like to be as silent as possible in the wilderness so I can take in all sounds around me. I do think this is a fantastic idea though. Gives more reason to buy nicer rain pants than Frogg Troggs...

fiddlehead
07-12-2006, 21:16
I agree with Boston and Big Cranky as a low budget choice.
However, when i hike in snow and winter, i have a pair of windblock fleece, full zip, pants with the knees and butt reinforced with nylon. Great for sliding down mtns of snow and postholing too.
we used to sell them on our website but can't get them anymore.
The full zips are nice in the winter too as i usually open them for walking and close them as soon as i stop. very warm.

rickb
07-12-2006, 21:21
Schoeller Dryskin pants are hard to beat in the winter, polypro underneath if needed. Expensive,but hard to kill.

DGrav
07-13-2006, 08:18
Ibex Alpstar, expensive but well worth it. Not your typical wool pant, picture a soft-shell like material.

jaywalke
07-13-2006, 10:22
I will second the vote for Schoeller dryskin pants when it is very cold. I use regular breathable nylon pants most of the time in the winter months. My thermostat runs HOT, and winter is really the only time I can wear long pants without roasting. I can't wear long johns or rain pants, even in winter, unless I am sitting still in camp. I would soak myself in sweat if I tried hiking in either.

bigcranky
07-13-2006, 11:16
My wife hikes in pants except in the summer. For cold weather, she has a pair of Ibex Guide pants -- sort of a wool/nylon soft shell material, soft and fuzz on the inside and smooth on the outside. She loves them. They are very wind and water resistant (but they aren't waterproof), and quite breathable, so they are comfortable on warmer winter days.

I also have a pair of the Schoeller pants, actually two pairs, but I wear them to work rather than on the trail. They are indestructable, stretchy, comfortable, and breathable. They'd be a good choice for winter hiking depending on where you hike.

bigcranky
07-13-2006, 11:16
Arhg, that should read 'soft and fuzzy.'

Vi+
07-14-2006, 08:35
How much do Schoeller Dryskin Pants and Ibex Alpstar Pants weigh?

What are the differences between Schoeller Dryskin Pants and Ibex Alpstar Pants?

To restate the previous question, why do some prefer Schoeller Dryskin Pants or Ibex Alpstar Pants over the other?

Are there large retailers (i.e., nationwide or regional) who stock Schoeller Dryskin Pants and/or Ibex Alpstar Pants? I’d like to try before buying, to compare fit and comfort.

Thanks.