PDA

View Full Version : PA, Duncannon to Port Clinton

gumball
07-13-2006, 05:48
We are planning to leave for VA tomorrow, but may be having some logistical travel issues amongst the three of us that will require a last minute switch to a closer area. Since we live in PA, its the logical choice for us, but never my favorite place to hike...I have never experienced so many issues with rocks, snakes, and feet that look like hamburger as I have in PA.

That being said, the above is the last section of PA we haven't done. Could anyone tell where the rocks begin to get ... crappy ... in PA. Yes, I know--big sissy. But I'm curious. I've also switched to trail runners and LOVE them...and would be disdainful to have to switch back to boots because of the rocks. Is that necessary?

Hopefully our VA hike will work out. But anyway, thanks--

gum

Lone Wolf
07-13-2006, 05:56
There's rocks the whole way in that section. The heat is gonna suck too. Bad timing. I'd do it in the fall.

c.coyle
07-13-2006, 06:52
... Could anyone tell where the rocks begin to get ... crappy ... in PA. Yes, I know--big sissy. But I'm curious. I've also switched to trail runners and LOVE them...and would be disdainful to have to switch back to boots because of the rocks. Is that necessary?

IMO, the rocky sections for NOBOs start at Route 501. The really rocky sections are north of Port Clinton. The rockiest are between Hawk Mountain Road (Eckville Shelter) and Lehigh Gap.

That being said, I think the rocks are overrated. Don't let them screw with your head. In the worst sections, plan on cutting your speed by 1/3, 1/2 if it's wet.

Trail runners work for me, even in the worst sections. The key is careful and attentive foot placement. That's the worst thing about the really rocky sections. You can't look up for 5-6 miles at a time.

adh24
07-13-2006, 07:36
You should be fine in trail runners both my wife and my buddy use trail runners and we have hiked from the Delaware water gap to Port Clinton never herd them complain once. I have middies that give a little ankle support but they are so old and broken in that they might as well be trail runners. Infact I'm in the market and am looking at trail runners right now. Our next hike is Port Clinton SOBO let me know how the conditions are if you go

DGrav
07-13-2006, 08:09
There's rocks the whole way in that section. The heat is gonna suck too. Bad timing. I'd do it in the fall.

Yeah 90s through next Wednesday!

Gumball, have you ever done the Pinchot Trail system in Lackawanna State forest? It is not too far from where the Northeast Extension and Rt 80 cross. It is a 23 mile loop trail that is bisected by a road that the trailhead is on. This leaves you with plenty of options because you are never more that 7 miles from your car if you need bail early for weather or pizza cravings. Any way it is a great weekend back pack and there are a couple of low lying place to camp neat streams where the temp is usually 5 to 10 degrees cooler.

Here is a link to a map that prints out very well in quarters.

Toolshed
07-13-2006, 10:06
Hi Gumball,
I've done that entire section (and most of PA & NJ, with exception to 501 to DWG) in my New Balance 80?'s trail runners over the past few years and some of it twice. I had no problems, and in fact, thought the area for a couple of miles S of Clark's Ferry Shelter was a little rocky (it may have just been my expectations were off), you will encounter few problems with rocks for the first 30 miles N of Duncannon.
I would caution you about parking in the small AT parking lot off route Rte 443 in Swatara Gap, and instead park on the very wide parking area on the main highway just across the T-intersection, next to the old road that is now state land. On both occasisions I parked there for dayhikes, there was broken window glass on the ground.
The next 30 miles have spots with bad rocks, but then some spots where there are no issues - probably on an 80/20 rule.

c.coyle
07-13-2006, 10:09
D Grav is right. There are tons of beautiful, lightly-hiked trails in Pa. One of my favorites is the Susquehannock.

The AT is definitely not typical of Pa. hiking.

kyhipo
07-13-2006, 12:00
Go on !I just love that area!very good for your hiking skills,ky

BlackCloud
07-14-2006, 12:34

You couldn't pay me to hike this stretch of the AT in summer.....

c.coyle
07-14-2006, 13:18

Ten before 10; Five after 5.

TACKLE
07-14-2006, 13:20
You've already been through the worst of it,if you already did the rest of PA..No sweat with trailrunners,I saw many using them when I passed thru.

emerald
07-14-2006, 15:27
As with many, if not most things, there's a good reason why things are as they are. Rest assured, the famous Pennsylvania rocks are there for a reason.

Years ago, Pennsylvania trail clubs put those rocks there because they cared deeply about visitors to The Commonwealth and wanted you to enjoy your visit. What, you ask? The top 3 reasons for the PA rocks:

We do not want you to step on our rattlesnakes as that could be an unpleasant if not a hike-ending experience. Besides, it annoys the rattlesnakes. Watching where you step is a good habit all should learn.
We want you to remember to pick up your feet, even if you have already done 25 miles, it's getting dark and you still have another mile to go. Stubbed toes hurt.
We want to help you develop your foot-to-eye coordination so when you get to places where it's more critical, you don't misstep. Everyone knows, the Abol Slide was created by a hiker who skipped Pennsylvania and wasn't watching where he was going.There are many more reasons for Pennsylvania's rocks. The preceding are but 3 reasons why everyone shouldn't make such a fuss, should just watch where they are going, should simply pick up their feet and not put their feet where they don't belong in the first place.

Happy hiking in Pennsylvania.

JP
07-14-2006, 15:27
Did this section last year in trail runners. Take extra water, some springs dry up in the summer.Plan on going a little slower than you usually do. I did DWG to Duncannon in 11 days. I think north of Port Clinton was the rockiest,but there was some great views. Had a great time.

emerald
07-14-2006, 15:44
Or maybe you could just dust off your Limmers!

emerald
07-14-2006, 16:13

Most NOBOs hike here somewhat before it gets warm. c.coyle knows of what he speaks. Experience knows, get thy butt up in the morning when the days are long, do thy miles and find a cool place to loaf just like the other creatures of the forest when the sun is high, then do a few more miles when the wood thrushes begin to sing.

Midday is a good time to work on a journal, figure out how to work around the weather or get to one's next mail drop, set one's intinerary, swim in a shaded place or, yes, even take a nap.

Hiking in the summer needn't be misery.

emerald
07-14-2006, 16:27
Could anyone tell where the rocks begin to get ... crappy ... in PA. Yes, I know--big sissy.

You said it, not me. The rocks only get better. They never get crappy. Besides, it's all in your head anyway! Don't you know hiking the A.T. is mostly mind over matter?

mweinstone
07-14-2006, 20:12
i was born and raised on pa rock and lone wolf said it nicely. actually this perticular week of humid hot crap would make this section the most painful thing you will ever hike.and when your 2 miles away from the ridge looking for water randomly anywhere,... youll promise yourself never to return to this section during the dog days of july.lone wolf said you couldnt pay him to do it,... well i would only do it if my life depended on it cause the water is to hard to get in a dry year. maby its okay since the flooding but not for long and not a whole lot of water even then. this section is great any time its chilly to frozen and deserted. new years eve is my favorite time to camp above port clinton.alot of my youth was spent in those mountains .winter is the time for pa.

stranger
07-16-2006, 00:43
All in all I think PA is some of the easiest 230 miles of the AT that I've hiked. The rocks are not that bad, and the 3 times I've been through PA water hasn't been all that scarce, I managed to get through with carrying no more than 1.5 liters between sources.

The issue, alteast for me, was when you added long days into the mix. Walk 27 miles across rocks and it will kick you ass, I remember my knees literally wobblying descending into Port Clinton in 2001 after 20 odd miles of walking. But that probably had more to do with the amount of miles than anything else.

I've probably been lucky with the water situation, I've never had a big problem with water in PA. I just accept the fact that it's harder to obtain so carry a bit more and drink you ass off when you find some. Maybe when I hit a drought year I'll change my tune.

Alligator
07-16-2006, 01:08
I've probably been lucky with the water situation, I've never had a big problem with water in PA. I just accept the fact that it's harder to obtain so carry a bit more and drink you ass off when you find some. Maybe when I hit a drought year I'll change my tune.The northern part of PA was pretty tough water-wise last year, a drought year. It definitely added some up/down walking.

I'll agree though, the southern half, below 501 shelter, is pretty easy. Hell, I pulled off 4 20 milers and one 19.5 miler last week and I'm just a section hiker. I'd only done one twenty previously. My legs were hurtin' a bit afterwards though. Friday's 23 miles made my feet ache just driving home:( !

P.S. The numbers explain some of the trail magic that helped me along:cool: . Thanks Dude, nice meeting you.

BlackCloud
07-17-2006, 13:50

When it never dips below 70 degrees w/ a dewpoint of 50+; forget it.

wilconow
07-17-2006, 13:57
Kind of a related ? - is the section where you have to do a lot of farmland walking in between ranges north or south of boiling springs (or both)?

Would certainly not want to be there today.

Alligator
07-17-2006, 14:02
Kind of a related ? - is the section where you have to do a lot of farmland walking in between ranges north or south of boiling springs (or both)?

Would certainly not want to be there today.Starts just north of boiling springs, as you go through the valley, then it continues some after. It was nice to have a wide brimmed hat. The raspberries make it all worthwhile:sun .

mbroadhe
07-19-2006, 09:55
I did that section last year without any problems. The year previous to that I did the DWG to Eckville Shelter. Now that is the rocky section. I found south of the Pinnacle to be farely less rocky and quite enjoyable. Plenty of nice overlooks, interesting shelters, and great hikes along the ridge. There isn't a whole lot of elevation change to it makes for a pretty easy trek. If you live in PA, I'd think you'd be used to the rocks by now.