PDA

View Full Version : Are Snowshoes needed in the South in December/January

hammock engineer
07-13-2006, 14:47
I really did not think about getting snowshoes before talking to a couple people lately. The people I talked to did not have any experience on the AT or in the South in winter, so I thought I would pose the question.

Will I need snowshoes come December or January? I was looking around online and found some really good deals going on. I think that if I wait and buy some at an outfitter, I will end up paying $100 to $150 more than I would right now. I do not want to buy anything I don't need for the trip, but I want to save money in the long run.

The Solemates
07-13-2006, 15:46
I really did not think about getting snowshoes before talking to a couple people lately. The people I talked to did not have any experience on the AT or in the South in winter, so I thought I would pose the question.

Will I need snowshoes come December or January? I was looking around online and found some really good deals going on. I think that if I wait and buy some at an outfitter, I will end up paying $100 to $150 more than I would right now. I do not want to buy anything I don't need for the trip, but I want to save money in the long run.

You do not need them in the South along the AT.

Crazy Larry #1
07-13-2006, 18:55
we have horrendous snow storms down here with at least twenty feet of snow on the ground at any given moment, you don't only need one set of snowshoes but two in order to really glide on the surface.........

general
07-13-2006, 18:59
2 foot drifts at most in georgia. boots/shoes and tall gaiters are all you need

springerfever
07-13-2006, 19:29
snow is generally not the problem........ICE is !!

Lilred
07-13-2006, 21:22
snow is generally not the problem........ICE is !!
Right, you may be better off in investing in crampons.

Lilred
07-13-2006, 21:24
Here's a thread to check out....http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5612&highlight=crampons

hammock engineer
07-13-2006, 23:26
Thanks for the replys. I'll look into crampons. I still have time left before I leave (unfortunatly) so I'm not in a big hurry.

chicote
07-14-2006, 11:34
I have been on the at in NC during January and wished i had snow shoes. Going through the balds once past Grassy Ridge headed towards the Stan murray shelter and the humps the snow was 3 feet deep with drifts over 4. We didn't make it very far before setting up camp. Two people trying to break through didn't work too well. But it sure was beautiful!!

Crazy Larry #1
07-14-2006, 12:17
I have been on the at in NC during January and wished i had snow shoes. Going through the balds once past Grassy Ridge headed towards the Stan murray shelter and the humps the snow was 3 feet deep with drifts over 4. We didn't make it very far before setting up camp. Two people trying to break through didn't work too well. But it sure was beautiful!!i hiked through there in a snow storm, i know what your talking about...............

orangebug
07-14-2006, 14:50
I did a blizzard in the Smokeys back in 2001. I wished I had snowshoes, but was able to post hole 8 miles per day to get out. I had brought in-step crampons expecting ice.

You just have to plan the best you can, and adjust to what Mama Nature dishes out. Zero days can be very beautiful, watching snow and trees falling around a shelter.

For the weight, in step crampons probably make more sense than anything else. Snow shoes aren't that likely to be of any benefit down here.

Nightwalker
07-14-2006, 22:35
I hiked GA last December during the big ice storm. I had Yak Trax, and was very glad. Ankle-deep, golf ball-sized ice on the trail was a major trip!

slingblade
07-17-2006, 11:21
Nope. Dont need em.