PDA

View Full Version : North or South start for August?

John Ramstedt
07-13-2006, 16:38
Hello,

I plan to hike th AT with a friend starting in mid August and finishing up in late September. We can't decide whether to start in the North or the South. My friend is staying near the AT in NC, so starting there would be easier. On the other hand, we are both from Oregon and don't get to do much hiking in the East, and we have heard that the Northern portion is perhaps more memorable. And we've heard that the weather might be more pleasant up North too. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Also, any advice about the trail would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Ramstedt

Lone Wolf
07-13-2006, 16:41
Go north young man. It will be cooler, more scenic and rugged.

soad
07-13-2006, 16:48
The south has a lot to offer (I actually think the best of the south is out of the AT corridor, but that is another discussion), but I agree, you cannot beat Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine.

kyhipo
07-14-2006, 10:37
I would head to the north as well,what part of Oregon you guys from?My dads people live 17miles from crater lake,one of my favorite hiking area's in the U.S. that I have hiked.ky

fiddlehead
07-14-2006, 20:30
New England hiking is the best in the east.
Especially VT,NH, and Maine (true New England in my eyes, the rest is all looking more like New Jersey every day)
Enjoy

mweinstone
07-14-2006, 20:38
the south is cool

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2006, 22:49
While the south is wonderful, the snakes are lying on ice cubes in July and August. Go north.

Johnny Swank
07-15-2006, 09:58
Head north my friend. I'm in NC and love the south, but it's hotter that you know what down here that time of year.