PDA

View Full Version : Webbing

Aramis
07-13-2006, 23:38
I want to set up my hammock with webbing and I'm not sure which size to get. The ubiquitous 1" is certainly adequate, but 3/4" is so much lighter and more compact. Is 3/4" nylon webbing strong and durable enough? I've considered spectra, but I really don't think the weight saving is worth the extra money and I have doubts about its longevity under hard use (protracted tropical travel). I also prefer it to be easily and cheaply replacable in case of damage, loss or 'unauthorised aquisition').

I'll be attaching it to the hammock ties with a pair of metal rings (motorcycle helmet style) at each end so that I have infinite adjustment at both ends, along with an easy way to attach the fly and ridgeline. Hence narrower webbing means smaller rings and even less weight. I actually located some titanium rings (apparently they're use for attachment points on carbon fibre sails) but at $15 each, a set would cost more than the hammock (after shipping costs to the Land of Hyper-regulation it would be over 100 Australian Pesos), so it looks like I'll use stainless or brass from the local saddler.

Any other suggestions?

Just Jeff
07-14-2006, 00:46
I think strength would restrict the size of the rings more than the webbing you're using them on...they should be able to hold at least 600 lbs safely.

Same with webbing - and you'll probably want polypro instead of nylon or polyester because of stretching. I'm not sure what the breaking strength is of your 3/4" webbing - I'd be careful with it, though.

The other consideration is damage to the trees. I don't know if there would be any difference between 3/4" and 1", but some folks even use 1.5" or more just to be careful with the trees. I use 1" polypro webbing from www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com). The Crazy Creek I'm testing is also 1" webbing - it doesn't seem to stretch so I assume it's also polypro.

Someone on the hammockcamping list has made the rings setup you're talking about. Might wanna jump over there and ask for details.

Ramble~On
07-14-2006, 02:58
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap-pro.html

The above link will take to ENO's website where you will find Slap Strap Pro webbing.....great product... I love mine...no knots to tie or untie.

I also have used and on some hammocks do use 9/16 inch tubular webbing.
I used to use 1 inch webbing but why? 9/16 is more than strong enough

A quick recent search brought up 80 feet of 9/16 nylon tubular webbing for a by it now price of $9.50 on Ebay

The Ebay site is the same guy I got my webbing from...I bought 100' for ? $12.00 way cheaper than any local outfitter...it was white but I dyed it black....works great.

Jonas4321
07-14-2006, 12:09
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap-pro.html

The above link will take to ENO's website where you will find Slap Strap Pro webbing.....great product... I love mine...no knots to tie or untie.

I also have used and on some hammocks do use 9/16 inch tubular webbing.
I used to use 1 inch webbing but why? 9/16 is more than strong enough

A quick recent search brought up 80 feet of 9/16 nylon tubular webbing for a by it now price of $9.50 on Ebay

The Ebay site is the same guy I got my webbing from...I bought 100' for ? $12.00 way cheaper than any local outfitter...it was white but I dyed it black....works great.
I believe all of this refers to tubular nylon webbing, which is very strong but much heavier than polypro. It also stretches and absorbs water - both WAY more than polypro.

As a trade-off, polypro is not as strong, so you need wider webbing than you would with tubular nylon.

Finally, not all polypro webbing is created equal. I have been dumped on my butt when 1 inch polypro webbing that I got from a reputable vendor broke. It was what was called "soft link", while the stuff that has never broken was called "heavy link".

Personally, I'd buy what Ed Speer sells and know it has been field tested by lots of hammockers.

J

TN_Hiker
07-14-2006, 12:12
I made longer tree huggers using 3/4 inch tubular webbing and stitched with dental floss. It may have stretched the first time I used it, but after 7 or 8 nights it is still holding my 225 lb carcass. I've been able to get several wraps around the tree so I haven't noticed any tree bark damage.

Aramis
07-14-2006, 21:22
Polypo? Tubular? I'm talking about the generic black webbing used on just about every backpack on the planet and available in rolls at every backpacking shop I've ever been in. I have the hammock hanging in my bedroom from some unidentified 1" stuff now - it used to be a motorcycle tiedown, but I have no idea what the material is. No stretch problems.

Just Jeff
07-14-2006, 21:49
There are different kinds of 1" webbing that all look pretty similar. I wouldn't trust what's on my backpack to hold me up. YMMV.

Be sure to post back if you find something new that works.

Jonas4321
07-15-2006, 09:02
Polypo? Tubular? I'm talking about the generic black webbing used on just about every backpack on the planet and available in rolls at every backpacking shop I've ever been in. I have the hammock hanging in my bedroom from some unidentified 1" stuff now - it used to be a motorcycle tiedown, but I have no idea what the material is. No stretch problems.
The stuff that's on your backpack is probably polypropylene, not nylon. I agree with Jeff, it's probably not the stuff you need to hang with. Interestingly enough, when I went to buy 1 inch webbing at EMS when I made my first hammock, they didn't have polypro, all they had was (expensive) tubular nylon, which is what I started with. You can tell tubular nylon because it's very thick and slippery feeling (like seatbelt material feels) and it's like a flattened tube - you can unflatten it and it becomes 3 dimensional.

Tubular nylon is extremely strong but heavy. Since most backpacks don't need that kind of strength for their function, they use polypro or lighter weight flat nylon webbing. Both my backpacks have polypro webbing of various widths.

I have seen tie-downs made with both nylon and polypro webbing. The ones I own are nylon.

Stretch is not a bad thing necessarily, it's something that can be accommodated. When I changed from the tubular nylon I started with for Technora 4mm cord (with almost NO stretch) for my hammocks, I had to re-learn how to hang my Speer-type hammock. Suddenly, what had been the perfect amount of sag before I got in was WAY too little and I spent a few nights with the hammock tighter around my shoulders than I had become accustomed to. Took me a while to get it right again.

For simplicity, you can buy what Ed Speer sells and you'll get webbing that has little stretch, is light, and strong enough. Eliminates the guesswork and learning curve.

Jonas

Aramis
07-17-2006, 21:44
This is depressing. I've waded through page after page of Google's usual irrelevant crap (a search on 'stoicism' once returned "we have thousands of stoicisms on eBay!" - argh) and dozens of webbing manufacturer's pages and still haven't found anything that gives a max loading for any kind of webbing.

I suppose I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way, and try something to see if it breaks.

Curt
07-17-2006, 22:22
Hi, Where can I buy the titanium rings you mentioned in your post?

Thank you,

Corsican

I'll be attaching it to the hammock ties with a pair of metal rings (motorcycle helmet style) at each end so that I have infinite adjustment at both ends, along with an easy way to attach the fly and ridgeline. Hence narrower webbing means smaller rings and even less weight. I actually located some titanium rings (apparently they're use for attachment points on carbon fibre sails) but at $15 each, a set would cost more than the hammock (after shipping costs to the Land of Hyper-regulation it would be over 100 Australian Pesos), so it looks like I'll use stainless or brass from the local saddler.

Any other suggestions?[/quote]

Just Jeff
07-18-2006, 10:35
This is depressing. I've waded through page after page of Google's usual irrelevant crap (a search on 'stoicism' once returned "we have thousands of stoicisms on eBay!" - argh) and dozens of webbing manufacturer's pages and still haven't found anything that gives a max loading for any kind of webbing.

I suppose I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way, and try something to see if it breaks.

Well, if they were witty stoicisms then they might be worth reading, but I bet you could get them for free instead of buying them on eBay....

Just curious - any reason you don't want to order from Ed Speer? Or the ENO Slap Straps rec'd by SpiritWind?

Webbing, Polypropylene Protects trees, recommend 2 @ 12' ea for hammock;
1" Wide, 700 lb breaking strength (supports up to 250 lbs in hammock), black, low-memory stretch; 24' weighs 5 oz; $0.20/ft
1.5" Wide, 1,050 lb breaking strength (supports up to 350 lbs in hammock), black, low-memory stretch; 24' weighs 7.5 oz; $0.25/ft

What is the difference between the Slap Strap and the Slap Strap Pro?
The original Slap Strap is 92in long and 1 inch wide.
The Slap Strap Pro is 114 inches in length and .75 inches in width.
The Original Slap Strap has a net weight of 12 oz, while the Slap Strap Pro weighs in at 9oz. Both styles are sold in pairs and when used properly both with hold up to 400 lbs.

Or just Google "Polypropylene webbing" and "breaking strength" and get stuff like:

We can't be beat! 1" x 100 yd rolls. 660 pound breaking strength. $10.88

Aramis
07-18-2006, 21:40
The reason I don't want to buy from US suppliers is because I live in Australia and postage would cost more than the webbing.

I want it to be safe for two people to get in to a bit of gratuitous cultivated inactivity. My hammock has an alleged weight limit of 350lbs, so it looks like even 1" might be cutting it close. One local supplier has webbing in thickneses from 0.8mm to 2mm, so it seems that webbing comes in many flavours.

Titanium round rings are available from:
http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e814.asp

Curt
07-20-2006, 15:00
Hi guys,

I need help from those of you who are using a double ring system when hanging your hammocks. I ordered the 1 inch webbing from Ed Speer and the rings from REI. My question is where do I attach the rings on the webbing? Or do I let them loose so I can move them up or down the webbing depending on the size of the trees?

Thank you,

Curt

titanium_hiker
07-22-2006, 09:13
Hey! an Aussie! I feel your pain about ordering and shipping.

I have used regular "backpack shop" webbing (wide... something like 1.5 inches) except I bought mine in South America, which is probably worse for dodgyness, but,

it works fine.

I use the modified four wrap knot. Oh yeah- I'm small, 159cm (5 2 and a half?) and about 60kg so if you're some big heavy guy you might need to look a bit more at breaking strength.