PDA

View Full Version : The Spice "RacK"

Don
03-20-2003, 15:28
Yogi clydes question about garlic prompted me post this...I did the "ground control" for my son's thru-hike... by the end of the trip we had put together a spice/herb/additive "rack" consisting of small quantities (usually .5 to 1 ounce) of the following:

garlic powder
chili powder
ground cumin
black pepper
dried, crushed red (hot) peppers
tomato powder (4 to 6 ounces)
curry powder (get a hot variety)
Spike (a commercial spice blend)
crushed basil
crushed oregano
herbes de provance
dried onions
dried greeen peppers
dried jalapenos
small plastic bottle of Cholula hot sauce

The herbs and spices were packed in small (about 2" by 6") re-sealable plastic bags I found at REI for about 10 cents each...the dried veggies went into regular sandwich bags and the whole shebang was stored in a small ziplock...

while these might add a little weight the ability to change the character of bland food was a real bonus...

krazychefkurt
11-03-2003, 01:19
Great spice pack! I love to cook & love to cook while hiking and camping. I like to take olive oil,granulated garlic, kosher salt,black pepper, cumin, curry,cinnamon, crushed red pep, variuos dried herbs from my garden, my own spice blend and saffron is great you only need a lil and its tasty w/ rice or cous-cous. I haven't been on the trail for longer then 1.5 week though, usually weekend adventures. So prob for my future thru-hike i'll have some spices at my freinds house and he'll send them to me randomly to mix it up, kinda a surprise too!! What flavor or spices will he send???

georgevere
09-07-2005, 14:56
Hey I saw your post and I thought I would mention something I found on the internet. I carry my spices in plastic straws. It is cool free way to store your spices. Simply take a good flexible plastic straw from a fast food joint cut about a inch off from each end. Then using the one large piece of the straw fold one end down (vertically) about 1/2 inch. Then fold that portion in half horizontally. Take one of the smaller pieces of straw and slide it over this folded portion. Now one side is sealed. Fill the straw with your favorite spices by pushing the straw into the jar of spice. Finally seal the open end using the same technic described. Take a sharpie and write the name of the spice on the straw.

Bob Baker
09-08-2005, 07:13
Man I wouldnt even know what to do with all of those spices. For me a little tube of Old Bay is good enough and goes with pretty much everything (If you dont know what I'm talking about its a MD thing). I dunno about adding a pound of spices when that could be repllaced with a small meal...

neo
09-08-2005, 07:14
Man I wouldnt even know what to do with all of those spices. For me a little tube of Old Bay is good enough and goes with pretty much everything (If you dont know what I'm talking about its a MD thing). I dunno about adding a pound of spices when that could be repllaced with a small meal...
me either lol:cool: neo