PDA

View Full Version : Warning for this years hikers

Wonder
07-14-2006, 12:15
Just a small general health warning. There seems to be a virus going around on the trail right now. I know of several hikers how have some down with serious colds in the last week, myslef included. Symptoms seem to turn to a bronchitis like infection. (bad enough to send me home for a week.......thank goodness I was near by!)
I know that this will happen with the communal living conditions we encounter on the trail........but let's try to nip it in the bud! We all know that sometimes the little things like, I don't know, washing our hands go by the wayside out there. This could become a major issue if we all don't try to do something.........so.....use that had sanitizer, and watch out on sharing food and drink. We don't want to see a trail full of hacking, runny nosed hikers!

Lone Wolf
07-14-2006, 12:17
Stay out of hostels and shelters.

MOWGLI
07-14-2006, 12:23
Happens every year. Usually its a stomach virus.

Johnny Swank
07-16-2006, 20:08
I second Lonewolf's advice. Stay out in the hills.

Newb
07-19-2006, 13:23
All the rain in late June, followed by the moist heat, has lead to a huge bloom of fungi along the Blue-Ridge. People with sensitive systems should be aware that there's stuff growing out there right now in abundance that would normally be very scarce.

bfitz
07-19-2006, 14:11
Avoid eating lots of sugar (feeds fungi inside you...) eat better foods and take vitamins and stuff...These bugs are relatively weak and are always around us, but hikers seem to have low immunities because they eat only crap and don't take vitamins and protein. Protein powder (nitrotech is excellent) should be in all backpacks, as well as vitamins. Eat a ton of fish and meat and as much veggies as you can when in town instead of pizza and crap. Lotsa vitamin C. Might even keep a little muscle on your bones that way istead of going skinny/flabby like most hikers do. Cleanliness is really secondary, but keeping away from infectious zones like shelters and hostel beds is a pretty good tactic.

bfitz
07-19-2006, 14:14
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-06-16-sanitized_x.htm